Car Dealer is screwing me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a perfectdream outcome might involve the following:

1. Return to the dealer with the car, but first...
2. Get all original copies of paperwork, and evidence of cancellation of the loan, etc. All in writing from the lender and the dealer.
3. Get full refund plus taxes, minimum. Make sure the check clears before you return the car, and the $$ is sitting in your account. And get a lawyer (GF) involved to make sure the paperwork is all kosher.
4. Now return the car. Prior to returning it, take a huge dump in the trunk, maybe a little pee, too. Or leave a little gift under the seats. Something nice. And I would drive it to the dealer "at speed."
5.Go find another car from an individual car fanatic or a reputable dealer.
6. Report the dealer to the AG, BBB, and anywhere else it is legal and appropriate to do so.
7. Consider warning the other customers at the dealership of their shady practices (particularly the person buying the 996tt). In a nice an legal way if at all possible.

Of course, I've never been in this situation, and any such posts must be considered only attempts at humor...

Good luck to you...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I like that one...
"hey, I'm a little busy today, can you pick it up instead of me coming by? Great! It's in row 3 floor 6 of the lonf term parking garage at Tampa International Airport. Thanks"
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stedge
I think a perfectdream outcome might involve the following:

4. Now return the car. Prior to returning it, take a huge dump in the trunk, maybe a little pee, too. Or leave a little gift under the seats. Something nice. And I would drive it to the dealer "at speed."

Good luck to you...
ROFL and I thought leaving a few prawns in the heater or a kipper under the rear seat squab was a good joke!

Lovely, best laugh for weeks. Thank you
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird situation but I would hold your ground with the wheels.

The sales rep has you. He's sitting in his chair going "that guy will bring back the car, I will get the rims. hahhahhahahahaha" So your paying for a dealership mistake. Its not like you stole the wheels. You bought the car with the wells. Better get an alignment and wheel balance with the old rims.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
There were a couple real nice 996 Turbo's on Ebay last week - each for about 52K as I recall.
He is looking at 993's, not 996's -- the 996 reference is for wheels only.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Seems as though most of us all share the same thoughts.

I have a feeling that returning the car is really not what they want given the sales price etc. Telling them you'll return the car may call their bluff. Seems extreme just for the wheels.

I must say intuition tells me there is more to this deal that what meets the eye. Was there any contingencies? I mean, how does one make the deal, sign and drive away later receiving a phone call saying they want something back???

I truly hope things work out for the better!!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

My pleaseure, Peter. Nothing like pinching a loaf. ;-)
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
993 Azul
Rennlist Member

I would not spend a second worrying about it.
How were you able to drive away with car without all of the paperwork completed and approved?
Seems to me that you are holding all the cards,you have the car,your loan is approved and if he wants his money, he better submit the paperwork ASAP.You've your part correctly,let him worry.Go drive and enjoy.

Joseph
Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
dmw
Instructor

Default I would keep the car and the rims

The "dealer" obviously screwed up and now he wants you to pay for his mistake. You did nothing wrong. The financing is obviously not a problem. I would probably also contact the police to put them on notice in case this idiot tries to do anything stupid like repo the car.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say keep the car too, after all possession is 9/10ths. The only curious thing is that his lawyer GF is saying he has to give it back so maybe what we all feel is fair isn't legal. In that case I'd walk and get another car from an enthusiast. I'm big on meeting the previous owner of a used car. I know plenty of cars that have stories, get sold by a dealer and the story somehow never makes it to the buyer. There's a guy who used to be on the 993TT forum that thinks he bought a concours car when in fact it was a former race car that was cleaned up. There's no guarantee, but you can tell a lot from meeting the owner.

Greg H.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a partner in a dealership, I find this story unbelievable when I look at it from our customer care viewpoint. Having been in the industry off and on for years, I find it all too believable.

My emotional side say NUKE this guy. My business/rational side says unwind the deal, get all of your money back, then go find an equal or better car for a much better price.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Randy 1
Racer

I'm sorry, but I think the most egregious mistake here is dropping $65K on a C4S. I'm by no means letting this dealer off the hook for prototypical slimeball practices, but it appears no-one in this situation is in touch with reality!

While I'm sure you've already become emotionally attached to the car, for 65 large you can have your pick of the litter, rims or otherwise. You just said yourself you don't even WANT a black car; I'm sure there have been a host of compromises made.

For $65K, it should be a no-compromises car. Stick this guy back with the car and be done with it. I'll bet, as others have said, he'll see the light when the sale representing his monthly nut comes back to him.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy 1
I'm sorry, but I think the most egregious mistake here is dropping $65K on a C4S. I'm by no means letting this dealer off the hook for prototypical slimeball practices, but it appears no-one in this situation is in touch with reality!
X2
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I have a feeling that returning the car is really not what they want given the sales price etc. Telling them you'll return the car may call their bluff. Seems extreme just for the wheels.

I must say intuition tells me there is more to this deal that what meets the eye. Was there any contingencies? I mean, how does one make the deal, sign and drive away later receiving a phone call saying they want something back???

I truly hope things work out for the better!!
+1. he wants the wheels at any alternative?
Anybody think of taking the air out of the tires, and check? maybe someone hid CHOUCHA inside !!!
I don't see another reason for a petit seller to claim the wheels back.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I thought my Turbo with 36K miles was only worth about $65K. It's not for sale, but I'm sure you can find one like it.

Get your money back.

Greg H.

Quick Reply: Car Dealer is screwing me!