Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car Dealer is screwing me!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rub against a few curbs if you need to bring them back.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not that it matters, but I would love to hear the dealers side of this.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Wonder if this sales guy made too shallow of a deal and is protecting himself from the sales manager. Maybe the sales manager doesnt know anything about this.

I can see why one would just want the deal done and move on, but on the other hand, it would really **** me off irregardless of the value of the goods in question.

When I bought my first 993, a similar thing happened, but I held my ground on the basis of the due bill the dealer wrote and we both signed as well as paying cash for the car. Contracts work both ways.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, what is 'top dollar' for this car? Does the dealer issue credit to you for the wheel swap?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
The dealer can submit all the loans he wants. He has a credit app signed, and a contract signed. If for some reason they cannot obtain financing with in ten biz day, the dealer gets the car back, and if the customer wants can resign the loan at the higher rate, or shorter term.... It changes if the customer brings in his/her own money. Cash deals are not subject to the reccision rights . poster just needs to obtain his own finance deal....and drop a check off for the amount financed. ....or get some type of discount from the dealer. I am pretty sure the poster would be able to get a better interest rate from his bank.
We searched around, it's hard to get a loan for a 10yo car, that sells for over double BB value. Around here it's only 3 days, we contacted the loan officer that approved the loan, & he said it's all a go, they just need the signed paperwork.

Yes, we can get a new loan, but it would have to happen tomorrow, & I just don't have time, I tried to get some time off work, but it's just not possible, due to a big contract we are working on.

The dealer is not budging at all, he feels I am screwing his $100,000 996tt deal. It's a low mi, convertible with the X50 & a few other high end things.
His thing is either we give him the wheels, or drop off the car, he doesn't care what one, as my commission is much smaller then this one. We are also scared that if we do get private financing, he will then put HIS paper work in, & we will get stuck working it all out.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Wonder if this sales guy made too shallow of a deal and is protecting himself from the sales manager. Maybe the sales manager doesnt know anything about this.

I can see why one would just want the deal done and move on, but on the other hand, it would really **** me off irregardless of the value of the goods in question.

When I bought my first 993, a similar thing happened, but I held my ground on the basis of the due bill the dealer wrote and we both signed as well as paying cash for the car. Contracts work both ways.
BINGO.......cash is KING.......and a duebill or work order signed by both parties...= DONE DEAL
Having spent 20 yrs in the real auto biz....sometimes a salesperson, will just take two cars into the service dept, have a a 50 at the tech to change the wheels. What I did when I faced these same dilemmas......was not punish the customer, but take the full retail amount of the wheels from the sales person check.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Bogwan
Racer

Washington state has a law that requires the dealer to get the vehicle financed within 3 business days, and if it is not they must notify the customer within a reasonable amount of time(deemed 24 hours). If more time than this transpired before they contacted you they are breaking state law.
As far as the wheels are concerned, it would have to be in writing at the time of delivery that they were to keep the wheels, usually drawn up an a 'We Owe' or other due bill instrument.
If the vehicle was some how sold as a CPO(certified pre-owned), then certain criteria must be met if financed by a lender that is giving special terms due to the CPO certification.
As said earlier if you obtain your own financing, and there was no 'We Owe' than they don't have a leg to stand on.
Hope this helps,
PM me if you need local knowledge
Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,780 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Nobody likes getting the short end of a deal but getting emotional about it always puts you in a loosing position. If you like the car and want to keep it, do what it takes.

If I was you, I'd try to negotiate. Tell him you can create all sorts of hassle for him with the BBB and the Attorney General through your GF the lawyer or you'll exchange the wheels but he knocks off $2k off the car. If you paid top dollar for the car, he's probably making good money on it and he'll see value in counter offereing $1k to avoid the hassle, at which point I'd take the chrome wheels and his counter offer and move on with life.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

I'm dealing with the Owner of the place, no one else to talk to or complain. This is a USED car place, not a Porsche Dealer.

If you dont mind me asking, what is 'top dollar' for this car? Does the dealer issue credit to you for the wheel swap?
Taxes on it was $6000, lets leave it at that. No, I get NOTHING for the swap, that is what is pissing me off, I just get to keep my car.

not that it matters, but I would love to hear the dealers side of this.
So would I! First he told me that the 996 was "unsafe" with the wheels. Then he said that Porchse said it would ruin the car having the heavy wheels on it. I said what all the people putting 20in on there running fine. He then said they would not certify the 996 with the 993 wheels & he would loose the deal. I told him if I took lesser, heavier wheels, I wanted to be compensated for it.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Butzi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
We searched around, it's hard to get a loan for a 10yo car, that sells for over double BB value.

Yes, we can get a new loan, but it would have to happen tomorrow, & I just don't have time, I tried to get some time off work, but it's just not possible, due to a big contract we are working on.
Have you checked with CapitalOne? Costco even has a deal set up with them that will get you a slight discount on the points. They'll send you a "blank check".

"Check" it out: http://www.capitaloneautofinance.com...anding/Costco/

Good luck/.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

I'm dealing with the Owner of the place, no one else to talk to or complain. This is a USED car place, not a Porsche Dealer.

Taxes on it was $6000, lets leave it at that. No, I get NOTHING for the swap, that is what is pissing me off, I just get to keep my car.

So would I! First he told me that the 996 was "unsafe" with the wheels. Then he said that Porchse said it would ruin the car having the heavy wheels on it. I said what all the people putting 20in on there running fine. He then said they would not certify the 996 with the 993 wheels & he would loose the deal. I told him if I took lesser, heavier wheels, I wanted to be compensated for it.
A used car dealer cannot certify a Porsche. Only a new Porsche dealer can do that. well I guess they can say its certified, but it will not hold up to a warranty claim at a new car dealer.

If it were me, I would take him up on his offer.........give the car back, and start over. sound like you paid way to much, for way to little. He is saving you some money..........thats a rare thing when dealing with dealers........LOL.......give it back. find a better deal.

Just curious has to why you bought from this guy?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bogwan
Washington state has a law that requires the dealer to get the vehicle financed within 3 business days, and if it is not they must notify the customer within a reasonable amount of time(deemed 24 hours). If more time than this transpired before they contacted you they are breaking state law.
As far as the wheels are concerned, it would have to be in writing at the time of delivery that they were to keep the wheels, usually drawn up an a 'We Owe' or other due bill instrument.
If the vehicle was some how sold as a CPO(certified pre-owned), then certain criteria must be met if financed by a lender that is giving special terms due to the CPO certification.
As said earlier if you obtain your own financing, and there was no 'We Owe' than they don't have a leg to stand on.
Hope this helps,
PM me if you need local knowledge
We know, what we don't know is how long till we have to return the car? It's not a CPO, & the deal is done, we got the car "As-is" with all equipment on it. He is changing the deal after the fact to his advantage.

Originally Posted by Yunggrazhoppa
Nobody likes getting the short end of a deal but getting emotional about it always puts you in a loosing position. If you like the car and want to keep it, do what it takes.

If I was you, I'd try to negotiate. Tell him you can create all sorts of hassle for him with the BBB and the Attorney General through your GF the lawyer or you'll exchange the wheels but he knocks off $2k off the car. If you paid top dollar for the car, he's probably making good money on it and he'll see value in counter offereing $1k to avoid the hassle, at which point I'd take the chrome wheels and his counter offer and move on with life.
Yea, I talked to him, then had my be the mediator. He is stand fast his decision, that he is entitled to the wheels, & he doesn't care how I feel of think is right. It comes down do I stand on principal & not cave & loose the car, of do I just put on some ugly chrome wheels? I'm putting on the ugly chrome wheels.

I tried, he will not budge. He does not care. All he wants is the 996 wheels. That was my whole point, if I takes lesser wheels, that were not part of the deal, I feel that I'm entitled to something back, & at least him to be nice & not call me all kind of names threaten me, & hold the loan up to get what he wants.

I am changing out the wheels tomorrow, & will find out what happens after that.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

A used car dealer cannot certify a Porsche. Only a new Porsche dealer can do that. well I guess they can say its certified, but it will not hold up to a warranty claim at a new car dealer.

If it were me, I would take him up on his offer.........give the car back, and start over. sound like you paid way to much, for way to little. He is saving you some money..........thats a rare thing when dealing with dealers........LOL.......give it back. find a better deal.

Just curious has to why you bought from this guy?
It's at the Porsche Dealer on a consignment deal, the wheels are holding it up.

I paid what other are going for in this shape & condition. My PPI shop said it was a solid 9 out of 10. Everything is up to date, the only downside is I wanted a Yellow one, instead of black.

I did look around for another one, but didn't find anything in the country that stands up to this one for the $$, there is a 10kmi one on eBay for $65 with out the Aero kit, & some other things.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

I am concern who the dealer is because I am looking at a car in Bellevue
Tell me they are not on 20th Street . If is them tell me and I`ll tell the sales guy to forget about the pending deal and hope he ask me why .
I just can`t believe that people run business like this . Just think how much it is costing them , more then a set a wheels . Geeezz they are not thinking the mess they`re creating for themself . This place must be running on tight budget to do this ? Why ? Why ?

Hope you get sleep tonight after all there`s is alot of good C4S out there .

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 10-10-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,780 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Yea, I talked to him, then had my be the mediator. He is stand fast his decision, that he is entitled to the wheels, & he doesn't care how I feel of think is right. It comes down do I stand on principal & not cave & loose the car, of do I just put on some ugly chrome wheels? I'm putting on the ugly chrome wheels.

I tried, he will not budge. He does not care. All he wants is the 996 wheels. That was my whole point, if I takes lesser wheels, that were not part of the deal, I feel that I'm entitled to something back, & at least him to be nice & not call me all kind of names threaten me, & hold the loan up to get what he wants.

I am changing out the wheels tomorrow, & will find out what happens after that.
Best of luck. He sounds like a royal a-hole. Watch your back and don't worry too much about the chrome wheels. 996TT wheels are very easy to find used and they're cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Dealer is screwing me!