Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Who is 'HIS' bolt-on turbo system???
Promotive. They have really cool mufflers.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Who is 'HIS' bolt-on turbo system???
Yup, like Jon said, Protomotive has a bolt-on twin turbo setup, for $12k including intercooler and tuning. Seems like a great solution, so I'm amazed that more people haven't done it (especially since it's nearly the same price as the TPC kit). He said there are like 50 kits installed.

The pic Jon posted shows the basic setup with stock headers and cats, no mufflers. You can also run stock headers, no cats, and a center-mount muffler for $1500 extra (better for the track he says).

Web site:
http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/obd993.html
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Wouldn't you also need to budget for a turbo rear spoiler/deck lid & paint to match? I am guessing the turbo intercooler would not fit under the standard deck lid...while the supercharger setup w/ intercool might..
Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The intercooler on a TPC system will not fit under a stock 993 rear deck.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Ok, if Dick is correct, then: TPC is $11,500 + install + spoiler. Protomotive Stage I is $12,000 + install + spoiler + muffler if desired. Sounds like Protomotive is a possible DIY though (TPC is not, from what I hear).

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 01-08-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Dick corrected us.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

OK, I have been thinking about this....

Why can't we just take the parts from the TT & bolt them on (set to 5psi), then run a adjustable FPR & find a way to lower ignition timing?
I mean, you can get aftermarket, headers, mufflers & the turbo's are cheap. The biggest problem I see if getting the oil feed & return lines hooked up.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also seriously considering protomotives bolt on kit, it would help if we heard from the 50 or so kits they have installed. I considered tpc but the 7th injector/customer service just doesnt seem up to par as compared to protos. I know many will say sell the c2s and upgrade but I love my car and I love one offs so I would rather mod to the extreme. That being said I would much rather go w/9mm heads and stay na if they were readily available in the states.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm
It makes a lot of sense to do this and have a savagely fast 993.
How about bolting a salvaged NA 993 motor with the Proto stage 1 turbo in a 911 SC body. Now THAT would be an exciting ride
Talk about surprising a few people at red lights.
Ok, no more dreaming.
Ron
Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, however a TPC system WITHOUT an intercooler still produces about 100 instantly availiable HP to the rear wheels and requries NO body work. The intercooler system ups that ante a little, but I'm not sure the extra effort, body work and tuning would be worth it for me. A reliable 100hp to the rears would be fairly worth it. There are several R-listers with the TPC that are totally satisfied!

Originally Posted by Dick Beers
The intercooler on a TPC system will not fit under a stock 993 rear deck.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marlon that brings up a good point which I do not have a definative answer on. How reliable is the tpc kit vs the proto kit? With intercooler w/o? I have been hindered by not knowing the reliability of these kits. I have yet to hear a con against tpc except for some tuning/customer service problems. When intalled correctly it seems like they perform well. I know denise just bought a car w/ one installed. It looks like the proto bolt on is more thought out but I do not know of any rennlister who has one. Any suggestions from the people who have them and drive them ?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

yes, however a TPC system WITHOUT an intercooler still produces about 100 instantly availiable HP to the rear wheels and requries NO body work...
Are you sure about that? The original Excellence article (Sep 2001) showed 60 rwhp with no IC. Plus, this guy runs an IC and only got around 80 rwhp (he says 316 rwhp). I believe others have confirmed that you need the intercooler to get 100 hp (not sure if that's crank or wheel).

But granted, TPC's setup has been shown to work fine even without an IC (track duty excluded, of course).

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 01-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TPC supercharger adds about 320 to the wheels, so I am not sure why TPC claims 100 hp to the wheels. The intercooler does not add much HP, if any. It is designed to prevent heat soak and detonation by lowering intake temps. Some people did change the pulley to increase boost with the intercooler, which would add some additional hp. I looked into the Proto kit when I owned my first 993 C4, but I didn't have the funds to purchase the turbo kit. The car I own now came with a TPC supercharger, color and mods I was looking for at a great price. If it blows I can justify rebuilding motor and possibly lowering compression. I can never go back to na...way too much fun with current power output and I can't justify a 993 TT which is obviously the better choice. I would strongly consider Proto turbo kit, if I found a na C2 for under $25k or still owned my C4. Would love to hear from those who own and track Proto kits. I will learn more as spring time arrives and I get out to the track. I think a lightened C2, ideally 2900 lbs with 320 to the wheels is fast enough for me on the track. These 993's are so beautiful and timeless that no one can go wrong with either kit to increase the fun factor and keep up with the newer cars.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going by what the folks at TPC claim. MrBock has one on his car too. I can't imagine someone paying $10-11K for a system that put 'only' 80 or hp to the rear wheels. I think if you pm'd MrBock he could set the record straight. Mabye it is 'only' 80 or so

mar

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Are you sure about that? The original Excellence article (Sep 2001) showed 60 rwhp with no IC. Plus, this guy runs an IC and only got around 80 rwhp. I believe others have confirmed that you need the intercooler to get 100 hp (not sure if that's crank or wheel).

But granted, TPC's setup has been shown to work fine even without an IC (track duty excluded, of course).
Originally Posted by ava6603
The TPC supercharger adds about 320 to the wheels, so I am not sure why TPC claims 100 hp to the wheels. The intercooler does not add much HP, if any. It is designed to prevent heat soak and detonation by lowering intake temps. Some people did change the pulley to increase boost with the intercooler, which would add some additional hp. I looked into the Proto kit when I owned my first 993 C4, but I didn't have the funds to purchase the turbo kit. The car I own now came with a TPC supercharger, color and mods I was looking for at a great price. If it blows I can justify rebuilding motor and possibly lowering compression. I can never go back to na...way too much fun with current power output and I can't justify a 993 TT which is obviously the better choice. I would strongly consider Proto turbo kit, if I found a na C2 for under $25k or still owned my C4. Would love to hear from those who own and track Proto kits. I will learn more as spring time arrives and I get out to the track. I think a lightened C2, ideally 2900 lbs with 320 to the wheels is fast enough for me on the track. These 993's are so beautiful and timeless that no one can go wrong with either kit to increase the fun factor and keep up with the newer cars.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Protomotive certianly has an upstanding reputation...and with live remapping, I'd take my car to Todd for a TT conversion before bolting on a TPC any day. I've spoken to Todd as well about such an upgrade and he commented on how many TPC kits he had to set straight over the recent years. With all the "negative press" out there on TPC (and I realize there are some happy customers - Mr. Bock, ava6603, etc), I just cant see justifying the risk.

If I had to chose between the 2, I'd go Protomotive. However, with my current gearing...a Turbo (or SC) would not be ideal.

Those in the Southeast may want to consult Viperbob at Vortex...he uses live remapping software from Protomotive. Although, as far as the SC route, I'm not sure if Viperbob has done any of these installs.

Ava6603 and TheOtherEric...you guys have 2 of my top 5 most favorite cars on Rennlist....gorgeous!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear I've heard somewhere that the intercooler would fit under the stock spoiler with slight modification.. anyone else heard that??

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger and a 993