Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tempting, isn't it Eric?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Tempting, isn't it Eric?
Well, I'm definitely going either TPC or turbo conversion (already got approval from my accountant... err, wife). Just need to decide which.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Eric,

You'll love the instant on with the supercharger ... it's totally addictive and the sound even with stock exhaust adds to the enjoyment. Keeping your foot out of the bottom of the loud pedal is hard. Can't wait for spring.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Before you all run out and spend your hard earned money. Give me until March-April to let you know how this TPC setup reacts in track mode. I plan to cut weight down to 2750 lbs and run some time trial and hot lap events late March and early April. My concern is heat soak after 5 or so hard laps. I haven't met or heard of anyone really running hard with this setup on the track. All I know of is a few people who run HPDE events.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Denise993
Pro

Originally Posted by Marlon
How did Denise and MrBock get the SC in their cars w/o going with a big ole' wing???
I don't have the intercooler. Everything fits fine... and no trouble with heat... even this past summer when it was stinkin' hot and I was stuck in traffic.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by onefstm

Since, TPC would not upgrade my unichip set for the intercooler, I bought an Innovate wideband and ended up using a single injector one size larger than the injector that came with the unichip. Initially TPC would not give me specs on the injector and only stated that it was a "Porsche motorsport injector".
I found that it was a common $60 72lb injector and could easily be upgraded to a larger size based on your fuel needs.

Since last spring, I have put 6k miles on the setup without any issues. The whole package cost me $400 including the new injector. The intercooler is a used spearco core that I bought on ebay for $50.

I thought you can hook a laptop to the Unichip & change the maps? You know, you also could have just added a adjustable FPR & upped the fuel pressure a bit.

Anyway, that intercoooler looks a lot like the ones in my S4. Might a little cheaper, since they use 2 & people upgrade them all that time.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

I don't believe an air to air intercooler sized to fit in the engine bay is suffice for track duty. This is the reason why the liquid was used. A friend of mine who races a supercharged mini upgraded to a Liquid IC because of heat soak after 5 or so laps. I am sure an air to air setup is adequate for day to day driving and a few blasts up and down the highway, but will not be adequate under constant boost levels. I don't speak from experience yet, but I will hopefully have some real life experiences to report to the forum in the spring.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:13 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Well, I'm definitely going either TPC or turbo conversion (already got approval from my accountant... err, wife). Just need to decide which.
If you go with the TPC SC, Talk to Euroquipe in Saint Charles. They did my install (I drove my car to them from Virginia) and several others. Top Notch Work all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck what ever one you do.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
I don't have the intercooler. Everything fits fine... and no trouble with heat... even this past summer when it was stinkin' hot and I was stuck in traffic.
I also did not have the wing.... However with the extreme make over (new roof and rain gutter delete amoung other work) I am adding the NB turbo wing and front/rear bumper skins. Not sure if I will do an intercooler as it hides the engine. I have not had any heat issues on the street.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:20 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by ava6603
I don't believe an air to air intercooler sized to fit in the engine bay is suffice for track duty. This is the reason why the liquid was used. A friend of mine who races a supercharged mini upgraded to a Liquid IC because of heat soak after 5 or so laps. I am sure an air to air setup is adequate for day to day driving and a few blasts up and down the highway, but will not be adequate under constant boost levels. I don't speak from experience yet, but I will hopefully have some real life experiences to report to the forum in the spring.

The air to air is more resistant to heat soak so long as capacity and flow are optimal. The air to liquid will alway have a ceiling since the captive liquid used can only soak up so much heat before there is no more capacity - each lap will heat the liquid higher and higher until there is no more temperature delta.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I understand, but @ low boost levels & good air flow it should be ok? Does anyone have any IAT logs of a car with out a IC & with a IC? I would be interested in seeing the delta.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the factory put 2 nice big IC's back there & the 993TT's are not to prone to heat soak on the track, & 2 turbo's produce much more compressed air heat then a low boost SC.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
The air to air is more resistant to heat soak so long as capacity and flow are optimal. The air to liquid will alway have a ceiling since the captive liquid used can only soak up so much heat before there is no more capacity - each lap will heat the liquid higher and higher until there is no more temperature delta.
I don't follow. The TPC a/w intercooler has a front-mounted radiator for the water to cool. So it's indeed getting some cooling. Unfortunately, they mount it right behind the passenger-side oil cooler, which seems far from optimal (and on it's face, illogical). But still, assuming the radiator is properly sized, it should run fine steady-state I'd think.

Maybe we can take our headlight washer nozzles and move them to squirt the a/w intercooler.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

...I don't speak from experience yet, but I will hopefully have some real life experiences to report to the forum in the spring.
Al - are you going to track your 993 without ANY intercooler? Nobody would recommend that.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Al - are you going to track your 993 without ANY intercooler? Nobody would recommend that.
Absolutely not! I will remove the SC, if I dont purchase something to cool ambient air before track season. I am having difficulty understanding how an undersized air to air intercooler would fair better than a liquid ic with a radiator constantly circulating lower temp water through system. More research on this topic is in order as there are mixed opinions on this.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

I don't follow. The TPC a/w intercooler has a front-mounted radiator for the water to cool. So it's indeed getting some cooling. Unfortunately, they mount it right behind the passenger-side oil cooler, which seems far from optimal (and on it's face, illogical). But still, assuming the radiator is properly sized, it should run fine steady-state I'd think.

Maybe we can take our headlight washer nozzles and move them to squirt the a/w intercooler.
The TPC system has a good sized additional radiator and coolant pump to cool the water? So the front radiator cools the water and then the water is channeled to the rear intercooler? If that is the case then the heat capacity of the system may fare better. Some systems like on my old E55 simply were incapable of removing enough heat from the coolant used in the intercooler, and subsequently fared poorly in sustained usage. Air to liquid is generally only used when there are significant space/packaging constraints.

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger and a 993