Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC Supercharger and a 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Instead of the somewhat "hokey" 7th injector, why have people not used larger fuel injectors? Im not sure what the standard size is on the 993 (id imagine it to be around 26lb/hr or so), but if the connectors are the same, there are a bunch of bosch pintle style injectors that would provide more than sufficient fuel flow (42lb/hr for instance).
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Instead of the somewhat "hokey" 7th injector, why have people not used larger fuel injectors?
Agree totally--that just sets off warning bells. If they can't figure out how to remap the ECU for longer duty cycles or for bigger injectors, just how competent are they in general? If they use one hack, they probably use others...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I wonder if the people at TPC have put an EGT gauge on each primary tube to check distribution with the 7th injector strategy.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Agree totally--that just sets off warning bells. If they can't figure out how to remap the ECU for longer duty cycles or for bigger injectors, just how competent are they in general? If they use one hack, they probably use others...
I think that sums up what many of us think... it seems like a very hokey solution, not befitting a car like this.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:06 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Instead of the somewhat "hokey" 7th injector, why have people not used larger fuel injectors? ...
I'm guessing here, but it's probably because they didn't want to bother reprogramming the ECU. Most of us believe they should have just bit the bullet and done it right. Other reasons may include (1) cost of new injectors, (2) cost of a new $1800 DME for all 1996 owners since they can't be chipped, (3) lack of adjustability in a one-size-fits-all chip (as opposed to this black box that I assume you can tweak in situ).

This hokey 7th (and now 8th) injector is what's kept many of us from pulling the trigger.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I'm guessing here, but it's probably because they didn't want to bother reprogramming the ECU. Most of us believe they should have just bit the bullet and done it right. Other reasons may include (1) cost of new injectors, (2) cost of a new $1800 DME for all 1996 owners since they can't be chipped, (3) lack of adjustability in a one-size-fits-all chip (as opposed to this black box that I assume you can tweak in situ).

This hokey 7th (and now 8th) injector is what's kept many of us from pulling the trigger.
What do the TPC folks say when asked about this???
Old 10-25-2007, 04:18 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the 9m billet head package? it delivers similar power and is still NA with no messing about. I have just had mine installed and am just waiting for the live re-map, but what an upgrade, and what a difference! I looked at both options and have to say I was much more comfortable with the clean and simple package of the 9m heads.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is inconceivable that heads would deliver the midrange torque boost of forced induction. With our absurdly tall gearing, an extra 100 ft-lbs of torque between 2500 and 5000 rpm will make the 993 far faster and more fun on real world roads than more hp up top.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand Todd at Protomotive has done at least one reprogrammed Motronic ECU that does away with the 7th injector and the TPC piggyback ECU. My mechanic installed and did the testing on his dyno. I don't know if there have been any others, if this is a regular product or a one-off. My mechanic says it works great.

Greg H.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is inconceivable that heads would deliver the midrange torque boost of forced induction. With our absurdly tall gearing, an extra 100 ft-lbs of torque between 2500 and 5000 rpm will make the 993 far faster and more fun on real world roads than more hp up top.
Agreed, but the 9m heads are supposed to give up to 430nm of torque.... I'll get the dyno results and post them, I'm not sure how it pans out through the rev range.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not a purpose built (lower compression) 4.0 liter motor with both the 9M heads and and the TPC package along with larger injectors and a chipped/reworked DME. Go crazy! . . . J/K
Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

Im not sure what the porsche injector harness looks like, but if its a standard design, a plain old set of $220 42lb injectors should work.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure what the porsche injector harness looks like, but if its a standard design, a plain old set of $220 42lb injectors should work.
Does the "7th" injector come on line only during certain boost conditions or what? Or: if 42lb injectors were used would they only deliver "additional" fuel when needed? If the 42# injectors would work - why not use them??? Maybe we could invite a guest speaker from TPC to come in and brief the system for us.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

You need programming to tell the injectors when to deliver additional fuel. It isn't going to be the same as an N/A engine. TPC includes a piggyback ECU that works with your stock ECU to tell the additional injectors when to deliver fuel and how much. I don't think the TPC ECU changes the stock programming, it just adds fuel as needed. If you want to eliminate the additional injectors, you need to reprogram the stock ECU.

Greg H.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marlon
Does the "7th" injector come on line only during certain boost conditions or what? Or: if 42lb injectors were used would they only deliver "additional" fuel when needed? If the 42# injectors would work - why not use them??? Maybe we could invite a guest speaker from TPC to come in and brief the system for us.
To me it would make sense that the 7th injector is connected to a hobbes switch that turns it on above say 2 psi of boost.

With larger injectors, a tuner would have to reduce injector pulsewidth for vaccum conditions along with messing with the maf x-fer functions in order to deliver an a/f at cruise that is as close to 14.7. Then when you stomp on it, the larger injectors open the flood gates so to speak.

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger and a 993