Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

When did you first know you had to have a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

It was 1978, I was 9 and my dentist got a new 78SC from St. Louis, MO. I'd never seen anything like it in Quincy, IL. I went to Kmart and begged my father to buy me a 1978 Matchbox Porsche 911SC, which he did. I've been hooked ever since...84 944, 78 911SC, 88 911Targa, and the current 95 cab. PORSCHE - NO SUBSTITUTE!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM
brabo66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 43, done fairly well last couple of years and decided I needed my big boy toy. One year ago I went to the local p-dealer looking for a yellow or gray 997, saw this silver 993, and stopped looking. I just knew i had to have her. Now Im in for life
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Tell the truth Ken. I bet you hit mid-life a decided you needed a shiny yellow sports car.

Originally Posted by race911
Guess I wasn't posting much back then and missed this. Nice to hear the stories. But in gleaning the pages, I don't see anyone who ever was taken to the track to see 911's race! Was chatting with Steve Weiner earlier this week about his exploits as an independent pro racer in IMSA with a used RSR.

So what got me interested in 911's was the IROC series. And not really because Donohue kicked ***. I was more of a stock car follower in my pre-teens, and watching Petty, Pearson, Foyt, etc. run these cars caught my attention. Flash forward a couple of years and the 930 is introduced.

My last semester of high school, I pretty much ran out of classes to take. I enroll with the newly hired remedial math guy to re-take the "computer programming class" as independent study. Turns out he has a '62 Super 90 Roadster. And since there wasn't much to do in that class, I read all the Panorama and Nugget (Golden Gate Region) magazines he'd bring. Locally, we had an IMSA champion in Walt Mass. And Garretson Enterprises (Bruce Anderson and Jerry Woods) were running IMSA and even going to Le Mans. I head out to watch an autocross or time trial at Sears or Laguna AND THESE GUYS ARE THERE. OK, how to get a 911. Yesterday.

Two weeks after I got out of high school, I located a '68 coupe that a grad student from Berkeley needed to unload as he was going to France. Kind of a screwball engine that failed on me three months later, but that got me into heavy mechanics as I bugged Anderson, Woods, Pasha and an old German guy named Ludwig with "how to rebuild a 911". (Ludwig would be drunk at his shop in the afternoons when I'd go see him after classes at the JC, and tell me stories about being a tanker for Rommel in Africa.)

At chance meeting at a swapmeet the next year I scored all the 2.0S parts I'd need to really rebuild that engine right, from a guy who had just run his 914-6 at the Daytona 24 Hours. Then a guy in Berkeley started importing parts by the container load, and I scored a 2.7L core. Now I could do the RS engine! By this time a local mechanic/SCCA racer hired me for after school work at his shop; made a pretty good amount for being 19, and converted that car to the faux IROC/930 I'd seen racing in a few years earlier.

Though I never raced that 911 (time trial/autocross only), it and its successors have been my anchor through college, owning two Porsche specialty shops, law school, other business ventures.......and too many races/DEs/time trials/autocrosses to remember.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Southern California so I don't recall when I first "knew"...

Some distinct early memories though include a neighbor across the street who had a white early 70's 911, he would let it idle for a long time at start-up every day, and so I think it was then that the sound was ingrained... and later a friend's dad had a silver 911S (got to ride in that one a couple times.)

Later when I was driving age myself the interest grew exponentially. I remember a Kiln Red 911SC parked in the neighborhood that I just about literally drooled on.

And a G/Red 930 parked in front of a church that just about caused me a neck injury as I drove by. I had to whip a u'ey, park, and check it out in the flesh.

When I was older yet I took a couple dreamy-eyed test drives including a Sepia Brown 912 and a G/Red 964.... I wanted to buy the 912 and I could have, and certainly should have, in hindsight, but there were too many unknowns to me and a dealer inspection didn't help in that respect, so I bought a new '92 Honda Civic Si instead.

It wasn't until last year that the dream came true.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In 1991 .My good friend purchased a 3.2 wide body speedster. I was running a 105 series GTV Alfa that I have had since 1979 (oops that ages me) We were doing a Motorkana/ Track day about 250 Miles away .As he had no points left on his Licence he suggested that I drive his car and we both use it for the Track day.
No arguments on my part as I had never driven a Porsche in anger.I ended up with fastest time of the Day and in love . Prior to that day I had only an interest but really considered myself an Italian Car/ Bike Guy.
As soon as the 993 came out I just had to have one as to my eye it finally looked right as well as went like stink. It took a few years, as over here in Australia they were way to exepensive for me when new. In 1995 a 993 was about $185,000 by the time you paid all the duties and taxes that our government RAPE us with. Now Hooked
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Tell the truth Ken. I bet you hit mid-life a decided you needed a shiny yellow sports car.
More correctly, and if they were legal here, a 993 GT2 would have been that. The yellow car may become a poor replica of one, especially if I'm not impressed with the 3.8 again when it's reinstalled shortly.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I was about 13. I had a blue 930 poster on my wall next to the Alpine lambo poster and a Ferrari poster. The only poster I looked at more than the 930 was one of Heather Thomas in a pink bikini.

LOL....I just googled "heather thomas poster" and the first picture was my old poster. Brought back memories...!! Attached for all you guys in your 30's/40's...you will know the picture.

Couldn't find the picture of the dark blue 930 Turbo online, but it was a beautiful picture of it on a very sunny day. Still have both posters in a closet rolled up with about 20 others..I don't throw anything away apparently.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
LOL....I just googled "heather thomas poster" and the first picture was my old poster. Brought back memories...!! Attached for all you guys in your 30's/40's...you will know the picture.
Still have both posters in a closet rolled up with about 20 others..I don't throw anything away apparently.
^^^^^^^^^Brings back memories of my teenage years!

When did I first know? There's a Road & Track cover from the mid-late '80s with a red Carrera streaking through green trees. I vividly recall that cover even today.

And I'd love to get my hands on a copy with that cover, if any of you happen to be R&T hoarders from back in the day!

Somehow I badgered my parents into a 914 for my 16th, not knowing what they were starting....
Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 654 Posts

1991. I had a '70 E-type Roadster (Regency red over cashmere with a black fiberglass removable hardtop and a cashmere soft top) in college from '73-'75 when I sold it to help fund grad school. I loved that car. Had a fraternity brother who drove a "brand new" 911 targa in orange over black. His was his father's who let him take it to school (!), I paid for mine with summer steel mill (big) money). We argued constantly over which car was better. I thought the E-type Jaguar was the most beautiful car ever made. Flash forward to 1991. I'm established in practice and am ready for a nice car. Started to look for another E-type and realized they were 20+ years old (wanted a series I or II) and, after talking with the president of the local Jaguar club, I realized that servicing and reliability MIGHT be an issue. HE recommended I look into a 911. Never looked back and Gordo993's "Trixie" will be my 4th 911. FWIW, my '70 roadster had a sticker of $5500 (with 2 tops). I bought it in January of 1973 with 18K on the clock for $3300, getting $1400 on trade for my 1969 400ci/350hp GTO with 69K, many of those miles put on 1/4 mile at a time (Keystone Raceway Park). The fact that there are 5 Porsche dealers in NE Ohio and several independent garages doesn't hurt either...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914
^^^^^^^^^Brings back memories of my teenage years!
Me too, I posted it after I stopped laughing because I figured someone else would have the same reaction!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
When I was about 13. I had a blue 930 poster on my wall next to the Alpine lambo poster and a Ferrari poster. The only poster I looked at more than the 930 was one of Heather Thomas in a pink bikini.

Couldn't find the picture of the dark blue 930 Turbo online, but it was a beautiful picture of it on a very sunny day. Still have both posters in a closet rolled up with about 20 others..I don't throw anything away apparently.
I was in my 20's and had the same poster, 930 in light blue metalic that is. Still have it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Sirpopsalot
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always loved the design of them, and after seeing what they can do at a track I knew I had to get one. Ill have an SC eventually
Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
JDS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about 10 years old, sitting in church with my parents, when I distinctly remember opening a car mag and saw a pic of a Brumos 935 carving a corner at a road race. I was transfixed. I asked my dad why I felt a little funny downstairs. He answered like he understood "It's a 911, little Jimmy"...

Last edited by JDS; 02-24-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDS
"It's a 911, little Jimmy"...
Father knows best!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1972. I was turning Yamaha wrenches. Owner bought a dark blue 911X... Drove it to Houston on Friday for some Porsche event... The wrecker delivered it to our shop on Monday... It had rolled end over end, and slid on both sides. The windshields had popped out, but the doors would open and the motor purred. I was hooked...

Quick Reply: When did you first know you had to have a 911?