Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

When did you first know you had to have a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:48 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the perfect commercial. It says it all. I think I'm going to cry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

.. 7 ..
perhaps 9 ... ??

long long time ago ....

remember at 12 collecting photos and posters alrady ..
only took me 43 to get one .. !!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McGarrett

ohhh ... sure it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
jangobox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day I saw Condorman way back in the day.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 423 Posts

I was 16 out on a training ride on my bike and a 930 pulled up next to me at a red light. The sound of the exhaust was intoxicating it pulled away growling (as only Porsches do) at a fearsome pace and I noticed the license plate of "Quickee". I HAD to have one. Up until then I was a British car fan and had a Lotus Elan. Put a deposit on a 911 when I was 22 then found out I could afford the car but not the insurance. Fast forward about 15 years before I finally got one. Now there are three.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by McGarrett

When I saw it (and when I still see it) I'm nearly the same way. In Jr. High I began my obsession. As a drafting student we were allowed special projects a couple times per year. Every time I did a technical drawing of a 911.

In college taking photography classes my first 'open subject' was a 911 I found at the gulf course.

I still have one of those drawings from jr. high on my all, and the B&W photo of the 911 at the golf course has a prominent place in my personal portfolio.

When I saw that commercial I thought.. holy cown.. THAT'S ME!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Denise993
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Was there a defining moment in your life that you said to yourself... "Oh my gosh, I HAVE to have a 911"?
I had just gotten divorced, sold my ex-husband's Mercedes, kept the SUV and was looking for a convertible... my best male friend (who is a true car fanatic) said to me "Denise, if you want a man magnet, get a Porsche... if you want to attract a real man, get a 993..."

I can't say the car has done me any good on that account, but I LOVE it!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
thechiropractor
6th Gear

When I was 5 years old, and rode in my father's 1969 911S Targa. Silver/black. I will never forget it... I wanted one ever since. Eventually I bought a 75' coupe, and sold it about 2 years later. I started having that feeling again. I bought a 1981 SC targa about 8 months ago, and I have decided that I will never be without one again*
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by thechiropractor
When I was 5 years old, and rode in my father's 1969 911S Targa. Silver/black. I will never forget it... I wanted one ever since. Eventually I bought a 75' coupe, and sold it about 2 years later. I started having that feeling again. I bought a 1981 SC targa about 8 months ago, and I have decided that I will never be without one again*
Talk about reviving two and a half year old threads... though, it's a good one to revive.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Guess I wasn't posting much back then and missed this. Nice to hear the stories. But in gleaning the pages, I don't see anyone who ever was taken to the track to see 911's race! Was chatting with Steve Weiner earlier this week about his exploits as an independent pro racer in IMSA with a used RSR.

So what got me interested in 911's was the IROC series. And not really because Donohue kicked ***. I was more of a stock car follower in my pre-teens, and watching Petty, Pearson, Foyt, etc. run these cars caught my attention. Flash forward a couple of years and the 930 is introduced.

My last semester of high school, I pretty much ran out of classes to take. I enroll with the newly hired remedial math guy to re-take the "computer programming class" as independent study. Turns out he has a '62 Super 90 Roadster. And since there wasn't much to do in that class, I read all the Panorama and Nugget (Golden Gate Region) magazines he'd bring. Locally, we had an IMSA champion in Walt Mass. And Garretson Enterprises (Bruce Anderson and Jerry Woods) were running IMSA and even going to Le Mans. I head out to watch an autocross or time trial at Sears or Laguna AND THESE GUYS ARE THERE. OK, how to get a 911. Yesterday.

Two weeks after I got out of high school, I located a '68 coupe that a grad student from Berkeley needed to unload as he was going to France. Kind of a screwball engine that failed on me three months later, but that got me into heavy mechanics as I bugged Anderson, Woods, Pasha and an old German guy named Ludwig with "how to rebuild a 911". (Ludwig would be drunk at his shop in the afternoons when I'd go see him after classes at the JC, and tell me stories about being a tanker for Rommel in Africa.)

At chance meeting at a swapmeet the next year I scored all the 2.0S parts I'd need to really rebuild that engine right, from a guy who had just run his 914-6 at the Daytona 24 Hours. Then a guy in Berkeley started importing parts by the container load, and I scored a 2.7L core. Now I could do the RS engine! By this time a local mechanic/SCCA racer hired me for after school work at his shop; made a pretty good amount for being 19, and converted that car to the faux IROC/930 I'd seen racing in a few years earlier.

Though I never raced that 911 (time trial/autocross only), it and its successors have been my anchor through college, owning two Porsche specialty shops, law school, other business ventures.......and too many races/DEs/time trials/autocrosses to remember.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 AM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 years old living in No. Illinois, working in a convenient store. Crewed for him running F Atlantic at the time. In his garage lived the Eldon Formula Atlantic Car, a 246 Dino, and his newest acquisition a brand new Guards Red 911SC...would have been around 71 or 72. I drove it 13 miles and never forgot that feel. Someday....30 years later, visiting the Nurburgring for the first time, going into Kallenhard, being passed like I was sitting still by a bright green GT3. I'll never forget the sound of that car as he screamed by the left side of my car, VW Scirroco rental......that was it for me..came home Sept 1, found my car here and took possession Oct 17th.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:45 AM
verhag
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
Guess I wasn't posting much back then and missed this. Nice to hear the stories. But in gleaning the pages, I don't see anyone who ever was taken to the track to see 911's race! Was chatting with Steve Weiner earlier this week about his exploits as an independent pro racer in IMSA with a used RSR.

So what got me interested in 911's was the IROC series. And not really because Donohue kicked ***. I was more of a stock car follower in my pre-teens, and watching Petty, Pearson, Foyt, etc. run these cars caught my attention. Flash forward a couple of years and the 930 is introduced.

My last semester of high school, I pretty much ran out of classes to take. I enroll with the newly hired remedial math guy to re-take the "computer programming class" as independent study. Turns out he has a '62 Super 90 Roadster. And since there wasn't much to do in that class, I read all the Panorama and Nugget (Golden Gate Region) magazines he'd bring. Locally, we had an IMSA champion in Walt Mass. And Garretson Enterprises (Bruce Anderson and Jerry Woods) were running IMSA and even going to Le Mans. I head out to watch an autocross or time trial at Sears or Laguna AND THESE GUYS ARE THERE. OK, how to get a 911. Yesterday.

Two weeks after I got out of high school, I located a '68 coupe that a grad student from Berkeley needed to unload as he was going to France. Kind of a screwball engine that failed on me three months later, but that got me into heavy mechanics as I bugged Anderson, Woods, Pasha and an old German guy named Ludwig with "how to rebuild a 911". (Ludwig would be drunk at his shop in the afternoons when I'd go see him after classes at the JC, and tell me stories about being a tanker for Rommel in Africa.)

At chance meeting at a swapmeet the next year I scored all the 2.0S parts I'd need to really rebuild that engine right, from a guy who had just run his 914-6 at the Daytona 24 Hours. Then a guy in Berkeley started importing parts by the container load, and I scored a 2.7L core. Now I could do the RS engine! By this time a local mechanic/SCCA racer hired me for after school work at his shop; made a pretty good amount for being 19, and converted that car to the faux IROC/930 I'd seen racing in a few years earlier.

Though I never raced that 911 (time trial/autocross only), it and its successors have been my anchor through college, owning two Porsche specialty shops, law school, other business ventures.......and too many races/DEs/time trials/autocrosses to remember.
Oh yea....thanks for jogging those images, 911s lifting their inside fronts at Road America and Blackhawk Farms. And the sounds....great stuff for a 17 year old kid to be exposed to.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I don't know when it happend, I was very young. My parents never owned them or cared for them much.
This photo is of my Cub Scouts pine wood derby when I was 6 years old.

Crazy thing is that built this in the early 80's, notice how I made the 993 rear quarters
Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I never remember a time when I didn't want a 911...
Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 AM
993/907
Pro

College, 3rd year. Prof showed up with a new 1965 356SC. We all drooled but knew it was WAY beyond us. The next year 911's started to show up in showrooms; I was at first torn because I loved the lines of the 356 so much...........but the 911 quickly grew on me. Finally got my first one, a 69 911T in 1979. Two 83SC's since, now my beloved 95.

Quick Reply: When did you first know you had to have a 911?