993 Forum 1995-1998

Dreaded CEL - CRAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded CEL - CRAP!

Well, the Check Engine Light came on on my 96 Cab last night on my drive home from work. I have read many of the posts on here over the years and tried to understand the pain of my fellow 993 owners. At the same time I have to admit that while reading these tales of woe I could not surpress the little grin that came from the knowledge my car did not suffer from this particular afflicton. Those days are gone now. Lord, I miss those days!

I am amazed at how a little light can bother me so much. I now have a better appreciation of the irritation factor of this light. AND I hav e not had a passenger int he car saying "uh, nice car, but why is the CEL on?"

I have read all of the horror stories in the archives. Do any of you have a 'feel good' story related to the check engine light? Something to raise my spirits a little? something along the lines of....

1. My CEL came on for the first time and I was horrified. The next day I started the car, and noticed the light stayed on, took it out of gear and talked to the car like I did went we were dating. After 2 hours that seemed like 20 minutes, the light went off and has been off ever since.

2. My CEL came on and I drove home and called my shop. To my surprise, the shop said that this is no problem and I should bring it in first thing in the morning. When I took it in, the owner of the shop himself took the car saying that he had hoped to work on this issue today and would do it free of charge.

3. My CEL came on and I was pissed! Then I realized that I now get XM even though I have no equipment installed! Rock On! See my web site for the DIY to get your CEL to come on so you too can have free XM!

Really, if you have any moderately simple feel good stories, I would like to hear them. Everything I see on the site is gloom and doom. I am hoping that my tale does not end up like this!

Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Look at it this way, it could be something simple as an o2 sensor, but if it is SAI then have it repaired correctly at a good shop and remember how many additional years you will have not having to worry about it!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

Depending on the code for the CEL, you may have blocked SAI passages, as in Mike J's excellent SAI pictorial

There is a +/- $1K flush for this, a +/- $6K top end rebuild which should include cleaning out the passages while you are "in there", or a piece of duct tape to cover the light.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill (NC)
Look at it this way, it could be something simple as an o2 sensor, but if it is SAI then have it repaired correctly at a good shop and remember how many additional years you will have not having to worry about it!

How many years is that? Has anybody yet had the CEL light come on again AFTER having the SAI repair?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:12 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

4. A few days ago, my CEL light came on just as I was pulling into my local Starbucks. I was heartbroken, but after I got my Vente Carmel Machiatto and walked back to the parking lot, I found a lady in a red dress waiting next to my car. She bore a remarkable resemblance to Kim Basinger, although younger and with larger accoutrements. When I unlocked the door, she got in without saying a word, and proceeded to do things that made me forget all about the CEL...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Depending on the code for the CEL, you may have blocked SAI passages, as in Mike J's excellent SAI pictorial
Thanks Terry...I really should setup a website or something since I have about 600+ pictures of the rebuild. I often send other rennlisters a specific shot of something which helps. Need to get off my ***...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Mike , you are just layin around, rebuilding engines, hosting Rennlist BBQ's, rebuilding other members distributors, yeah, you really need to step it up a bit, quit slouchin, make a website

Speaking of me getting of MY *** . .
Another shot at Targa top disassembly starts tomorrow. . . Im dreading it.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 404 Posts

Why bother making an appt with your mechanic just to have him read a code when you can go down to any chain auto parts place where they'll read it on the spot for free? If they won't clear the code (liability issue), ask nicely if you can push the "clear" button.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pull the gauge out, pull the bulb out. Out of sight, out of mind. What CEL ??
Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got my CEL at 56k miles about two mos. ago. I pulled the codes and it was not the SAI, but rather a lean right bank. Turns out it was an O2 sensor. I replaced all four last Friday just for the hell of it and drove about 200 miles yesterday. So far no CEL return. BTW, how far must one drive before the readiness codes are reset?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

I like Mike T's answer. I am looking for upside only. As implausible as it seems, it sure sounds better than the practical advice and wisdom that is dispensed on a daily basis here. Kim Basinger....ahhhhhhhh. Love my CEL, Love my CEL.

I will allow thoughts of Kim to ferment a day or two and then get the code read. I know I should be able to find the answers in the archives, but I will post the prognosis here on this thread. For what it is worth, I will post graphic details of any celebrity run in's that may occur in the next week related to the CEL (don't hold your breath).
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I got my CEL at 56k miles about two mos. ago. I pulled the codes and it was not the SAI, but rather a lean right bank. Turns out it was an O2 sensor. I replaced all four last Friday just for the hell of it and drove about 200 miles yesterday. So far no CEL return. BTW, how far must one drive before the readiness codes are reset?
Mine took over 700 miles of 'various types of driving'.
However, others have done the 'drive-cycle-fandango' (do a search) with moderate success.

Gerry
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

How did you know yours had reset? Do you get a "ready" reading on a code reader when it's all good? I thought it was under 200 miles. The first time the CEL came on, after I cleared it, it took about 180 miles for it to come back. I figured that, since I have about 225 miles on it since the O2 replacement, I should be good now, no? I should add that I drove the pi$s out it yesterday, lots of high revs, twisties, highway, stop and go, etc.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've gotten to the point where my dash looks weird when I turn off the CEL. I plug my reader into it on occasion to make sure nothing other than the SAI is going on....reset it...and expect it to be on again within days. I've gotten way past the point of it being irritating.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, the CEL doesn't bother me at all. But I have emissions inspection coming up next month and there's no foolin' that computer. It's directly linked to the state DMV, so I need to be sure it's fixed before I go. I can't renew my registration until I pass emissions. And to get a waiver, you have to spend at least $680 at a state-approved shop, which is usually some corner gas station. No thanks. Sadly, the great Porsche shops in the area are not state approved for this stuff, though it's pretty easy to rack up $680 in bills with them.

Quick Reply: Dreaded CEL - CRAP!