OT: Garage project finally underway

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Garage project finally underway

With all legal impediments to my project removed we are finally getting started. Project includes addition to house on one side and 24' x 26' garage/workshop on the other side. Garage will be for one car and have a tray ceiling in the middle which will be 10' wide and 14' tall.

Below are photos of guys taking samples for engineer for soil bearing verification testing.

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats!!! Having a nice garage is always a plus. Hope the build goes smoothly and as planned.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Congrats!!! Having a nice garage is always a plus. Hope the build goes smoothly and as planned.
And under budget
Ron
Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am SO envious! I have drawn plans for my garage (32'x36'), but I haven't stashed enough $$ to make it happen (yet).

Please keep us up to date with pictures as construction begins. If I can't have it myself, maybe I can live vicariously through others!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
I am SO envious! I have drawn plans for my garage (32'x36'), but I haven't stashed enough $$ to make it happen (yet).

Please keep us up to date with pictures as construction begins. If I can't have it myself, maybe I can live vicariously through others!
+1 I would love to have a stand alone garage for the P-car. Heat/AC, HD TV, Interenet, wet bar, lift, tools, flooring...... well you get the idea. Congrats on a great new garage.

Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Count me in with the envious crowd

I am still looking for the 8 car garage property with an attached studio..
Old 05-03-2007, 12:26 PM
hotrdd911
Instructor

Funny. I have two good size shops 30' x 30' and 36' x 45' but I no longer have the 993. Maybe I need to do a time share with a 993 owner :-)
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 I would love to have a stand alone garage for the P-car. Heat/AC, HD TV, Interenet, wet bar, lift, tools, flooring......
I'll have all that except the bar. But I will have a bathroom and a washer/dryer hookup. The garage will be more geared toward a garage where work is done as opposed to a showroom.

The size we are doing is the largest that can be built on my small odd shaped lot.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats & good luck. It took me a few years to build what I wanted but it was worth the wait. Check out my gallery for pics.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

24' x 26', sounds like a dream to me! Separate garages are hard to come by in this city. It looks hot out there. Congrats!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out my gallery for pics.
Tony,

I did and I have a question. Are the doors on what appears to be the front of the garage real carriage doors? If so who made them?

I've got my quote on the carriage doors from the person I plan on using. He is local and does custom architectural millwork with exotic woods. They will be full mortise and tennon doors of African Mahogany, also known as sapele and with 6 lites each of 1/4" tempered plate glass. I've seen doors made by him and they are so beautiful they look like they can be put on display in a musuem. They will be 2 1/4" thick and weigh at least 300 lbs each. Drawing is below.

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ron,

Thanks.

I wanted roll up doors that looked like carriage doors so I had these made.

http://winfieldgaragedoors.com/

They are great folks but not cheap.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Arena993
+1 I would love to have a stand alone garage for the P-car. Heat/AC, HD TV, Interenet, wet bar, lift, tools, flooring...... well you get the idea. Congrats on a great new garage.

Mike
Cool. But I have to tell you, when I did have a seperate heated garage from my house, all I wanted to do was build an enclosed connection TO the main house.

We did not have to have any soil sampling done when we did it, was that for your own sanity for was that an engineering requirement? If it was a requirement, what risks is one trying to mitigate?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

We did not have to have any soil sampling done when we did it, was that for your own sanity for was that an engineering requirement? If it was a requirement, what risks is one trying to mitigate?
That testing is not required. However I live on the marsh and the house addition is going to be 9' 6" from the wetlands, per a variance I was able to obtain. While that may sound close it's basically the same as the existing house. The setback laws have changed since the house was built.

I thought it was a good idea to have the soil bearing verification testing done and my contractor concurred.

The purpose of the testing is to test for the presence of structurally unsuitable soils and the potential problems related to groundwater, risks of liquefaction-induced settlement, and any other conditions indicated by the testing procedure

My existing house is 30 years old and has no settlement problems. Several of my neighbors do have problems involving settlement issues.

Also the detached garage workshop will have 6" of 4000 psi concrete with rebar and I’d like to minimize settlement there too.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:22 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ron
That testing is not required. However I live on the marsh and the house addition is going to be 9' 6" from the wetlands, per a variance I was able to obtain.

The purpose of the testing is to test for the presence of structurally unsuitable soils and the potential problems related to groundwater, risks of liquefaction-induced settlement, and any other conditions indicated by the testing procedure

My existing house is 30 years old and has no settlement problems. Several of my neighbors do have problems involving settlement issues.

Also the detached garage workshop will have 6" of 4000 psi concrete with rebar and I’d like to minimize settlement there too.
Awesome. Thanks for explaining that, makes complete sense. That coring rig looks sort of neat too.

Enjoy the new garage/shop! One of these days I'll buy land again and have myself a proper garage. My previous neighbor built a massive detatched for his 30' fishing boat. The garage is actually bigger than his 2000 sq. ft. house! thst sits right next to it.

Quick Reply: OT: Garage project finally underway