Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   OT: Garage project finally underway (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/349222-ot-garage-project-finally-underway.html)

Ron 05-03-2007 07:58 AM

OT: Garage project finally underway

With all legal impediments to my project removed we are finally getting started. Project includes addition to house on one side and 24' x 26' garage/workshop on the other side. Garage will be for one car and have a tray ceiling in the middle which will be 10' wide and 14' tall.

Below are photos of guys taking samples for engineer for soil bearing verification testing.

mr_bock 05-03-2007 09:07 AM

Congrats!!! Having a nice garage is always a plus. Hope the build goes smoothly and as planned.

95FL993CAB 05-03-2007 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Congrats!!! Having a nice garage is always a plus. Hope the build goes smoothly and as planned.

And under budget :thumbup:
Ron

Michael S. 05-03-2007 12:13 PM

I am SO envious! I have drawn plans for my garage (32'x36'), but I haven't stashed enough $$ to make it happen (yet).

Please keep us up to date with pictures as construction begins. If I can't have it myself, maybe I can live vicariously through others! :)

Arena993 05-03-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Michael S.
I am SO envious! I have drawn plans for my garage (32'x36'), but I haven't stashed enough $$ to make it happen (yet).

Please keep us up to date with pictures as construction begins. If I can't have it myself, maybe I can live vicariously through others! :)

+1 I would love to have a stand alone garage for the P-car. Heat/AC, HD TV, Interenet, wet bar, lift, tools, flooring...... well you get the idea. Congrats on a great new garage.

Mike

chris walrod 05-03-2007 12:23 PM

Count me in with the envious crowd:)

I am still looking for the 8 car garage property with an attached studio..

hotrdd911 05-03-2007 12:26 PM

Funny. I have two good size shops 30' x 30' and 36' x 45' but I no longer have the 993. Maybe I need to do a time share with a 993 owner :-)

Ron 05-04-2007 07:30 PM

+1 I would love to have a stand alone garage for the P-car. Heat/AC, HD TV, Interenet, wet bar, lift, tools, flooring......
I'll have all that except the bar. But I will have a bathroom and a washer/dryer hookup. The garage will be more geared toward a garage where work is done as opposed to a showroom.

The size we are doing is the largest that can be built on my small odd shaped lot.

Tony356993 05-04-2007 08:28 PM

Congrats & good luck. It took me a few years to build what I wanted but it was worth the wait. Check out my gallery for pics.

Butzi 05-04-2007 09:50 PM

24' x 26', sounds like a dream to me! Separate garages are hard to come by in this city. It looks hot out there. Congrats!

Ron 05-05-2007 07:55 PM

Check out my gallery for pics.
Tony,

I did and I have a question. Are the doors on what appears to be the front of the garage real carriage doors? If so who made them?

I've got my quote on the carriage doors from the person I plan on using. He is local and does custom architectural millwork with exotic woods. They will be full mortise and tennon doors of African Mahogany, also known as sapele and with 6 lites each of 1/4" tempered plate glass. I've seen doors made by him and they are so beautiful they look like they can be put on display in a musuem. They will be 2 1/4" thick and weigh at least 300 lbs each. Drawing is below.

Tony356993 05-06-2007 10:35 AM

Ron,

Thanks.

I wanted roll up doors that looked like carriage doors so I had these made.

http://winfieldgaragedoors.com/

They are great folks but not cheap.

FotoVeloce 05-06-2007 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Arena993
+1 I would love to have a stand alone garage for the P-car. Heat/AC, HD TV, Interenet, wet bar, lift, tools, flooring...... well you get the idea. Congrats on a great new garage.

Mike

Cool. But I have to tell you, when I did have a seperate heated garage from my house, all I wanted to do was build an enclosed connection TO the main house. :banghead:

We did not have to have any soil sampling done when we did it, was that for your own sanity for was that an engineering requirement? If it was a requirement, what risks is one trying to mitigate?

Ron 05-06-2007 12:16 PM

We did not have to have any soil sampling done when we did it, was that for your own sanity for was that an engineering requirement? If it was a requirement, what risks is one trying to mitigate?
That testing is not required. However I live on the marsh and the house addition is going to be 9' 6" from the wetlands, per a variance I was able to obtain. While that may sound close it's basically the same as the existing house. The setback laws have changed since the house was built.

I thought it was a good idea to have the soil bearing verification testing done and my contractor concurred.

The purpose of the testing is to test for the presence of structurally unsuitable soils and the potential problems related to groundwater, risks of liquefaction-induced settlement, and any other conditions indicated by the testing procedure

My existing house is 30 years old and has no settlement problems. Several of my neighbors do have problems involving settlement issues.

Also the detached garage workshop will have 6" of 4000 psi concrete with rebar and I’d like to minimize settlement there too.

FotoVeloce 05-06-2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ron
That testing is not required. However I live on the marsh and the house addition is going to be 9' 6" from the wetlands, per a variance I was able to obtain.

The purpose of the testing is to test for the presence of structurally unsuitable soils and the potential problems related to groundwater, risks of liquefaction-induced settlement, and any other conditions indicated by the testing procedure

My existing house is 30 years old and has no settlement problems. Several of my neighbors do have problems involving settlement issues.

Also the detached garage workshop will have 6" of 4000 psi concrete with rebar and I’d like to minimize settlement there too.

Awesome. Thanks for explaining that, makes complete sense. That coring rig looks sort of neat too.

Enjoy the new garage/shop! One of these days I'll buy land again and have myself a proper garage. My previous neighbor built a massive detatched for his 30' fishing boat. The garage is actually bigger than his 2000 sq. ft. house! thst sits right next to it. :roflmao: