Sponsored by:

Ninemeister article

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:56 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Porsche engine building were like Hollywood, Colin would be Tom Cruise as far as (most of us) are concerned.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 AM
tankertoad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???

Uh, is that the superstar Tom Cruise or the "just lost his Paramount deal and half as popular with the fans as he was a year ago" Tom Cruise?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar964
If Porsche engine building were like Hollywood, Colin would be Tom Cruise as far as (most of us) are concerned.
Not even Colin is that ugly or weird!

I am not sure that I could ever see a good tuner as a rockstar or movie star. For a start, they tend to get their hands dirty and they actually work for a living. However, I think that those who do the job properly deserve our respect. And Colin does it properly. He ahs the facilities and the equipment, such as a proper flow bench so he can measure results. I guess the problem is that there are lots of tuners out there more interested in seperating you from your hard earned money than they are in proper tuning and engineering.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Erm, thanks guys, but this is getting embarrasing. I have been told that I look like Eddie Jordan and I can tolerate this, but I would never pass for a pint sized film star at 6' and 100kg.

Wish I had EJ's bank balance though.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:57 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Just spent the day with our "Tom Cruise" at his premises in Warrington (he nearly threw me out when I started calling him Tom). Very impressive indeed. Current project (amongst several) the 4 litre road engine. Work of art. Sorry, no photos, didn't want to press my luck. On behalf of our US brethren, I asked him to put his mind to an "export" kit for the US, made-up of his heads and a re-mapped chip.

Last edited by AVoyvoda; 08-29-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AVoyvoda
Just spent the day with our "Tom Cruise" at his premises in Warrington (he nearly threw me out when I started calling him Tom). Very impressive indeed. Current project (amongst several) the 4 litre road engine. Work of art. Sorry, no photos, didn't want to press my luck. On behalf of our US brethren, I asked him to put his mind to an "export" kit for the US, made-up of his heads and a re-mapped chip.
That kit would be at the top of many peoples' Christamas lists...
Old 08-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Lucky he didn't do his Eddie Jordon impression and tell you to "**** off!"
Old 09-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Guys
I am getting a reasonable amount of interest in my car, maybe it is time to organise some rides in my car on a closed circuit.... Bruntingthorpe for example. I could find out if i can book a half day, and give some rides, either that or meet in the london area, but that would mean the public roads and be of little use?
Open to suggestions.
Could be up for a track day soon?
Robin
Old 09-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Robin,

A meet would be good. I'm too precious about my Clark and Carter paint job to do a trackday! We've been doing a London/SE Rennlister meeting fairly regularly in Surrey (mostly 964s) so that could be a good opportunity to meet up.

Cheers,

David
Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Hi Robin,

Piston heads have organised a Rolling road shoot out Porsche vs TVR on Sat 23rd at the Surrey Rolling road.

I am planning to be there with my billet head car, maybe a good place or time.

No good for rides but good to show the TVR how german engineering with British Tuning beats British engineering and tuning

Alternatively, how about Wednesday 27th PCGB track day at Brands Hatch. Again I am booked on that day, It still has places I believe ;-)

Hope to see you at one of these events.

Been using my car a lot on the road over the past few weeks (as against the track) F*c!ing hell is it fast. Especially overtaking, when that torque kicks in it really is a Wow moment :-)

Cheers

John
Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Robin
For comparison purposes is you rcar modded aprt from the billet heads/cams progress?

The Surrey meet is close to the A3 and there are many 964ers who may wish to see there. Since Brands is nearer to Essex, and I am going to the Brands PCGB day on 27th, can I put my name down on the list if you go there? Thanks
Shaun
96 993 targa
Old 09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I've seen, felt and played with the heads!!!

Yesterday, I met up with Colin on what turned out to be rather an expensive day for both of us! Besides nearly finalising a lttle Motec and other things, it looks like I might need a little bit of bodywork as well!

However, I did get the opportunity to see one of the heads next to an OEM one. Now, I admit I am not an engine designer and wouldn't really describe myself as an engineer, but even I could see that one had significant flaws while the other was a beautiful peice of work. In fact, it left me wondering why the Porsche head has the "features" it does. I can only assume its for manufacturing ease.

Anyway, I have to say the new head was made to a very high standard and just looked right. Running a fingure through the ports enphasised the differences, from the lack of ridges to the smoothed out path with no strange bumps and hollows. If I was air, I know which I would rather flow through!!

I was even offered a drive but decided that it might prove too expensive and that would lead to divorce!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Anyone know where this is at as far as NA is concerned.. is Colin talking to any local shops (Rennsport et al) Does it make sense to just purchase the package minus the Remap (or with some form of generic map for the cams) and have it installed and just wait till full remaps are possible to finish.. I would assume this would get 90% of the way there and you can get the last 10% when its available.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 PM
oliverjamesthomas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
I've seen, felt and played with the heads!!!

Yesterday, I met up with Colin on what turned out to be rather an expensive day for both of us! Besides nearly finalising a lttle Motec and other things, it looks like I might need a little bit of bodywork as well!

However, I did get the opportunity to see one of the heads next to an OEM one. Now, I admit I am not an engine designer and wouldn't really describe myself as an engineer, but even I could see that one had significant flaws while the other was a beautiful peice of work. In fact, it left me wondering why the Porsche head has the "features" it does. I can only assume its for manufacturing ease.

Anyway, I have to say the new head was made to a very high standard and just looked right. Running a fingure through the ports enphasised the differences, from the lack of ridges to the smoothed out path with no strange bumps and hollows. If I was air, I know which I would rather flow through!!

I was even offered a drive but decided that it might prove too expensive and that would lead to divorce!
Having seen them myself, I totally agree. It seems strange, but you can just see they're going to give the results! I think he needs to start selling them in 7's - 6 for the engine and the 7th for a coffee table ornament...........

Regards

Oliver
Old 09-06-2006, 03:40 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oliverjamesthomas
Having seen them myself, I totally agree. It seems strange, but you can just see they're going to give the results!
What to me was more strange is that next to these heads, the OEM head seems so wrong. I am sure that if we saw the OEM head without knowing anything else, we probably wouldn't think it was too bad but you really do wonder why it has the hollows and bumps to mess up the flow. I cannot believe that it is just poor design and it isn't for better performance. There must be a real reason! Could it just be ease of manufacture?

Quick Reply: Ninemeister article