Ninemeister article

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LAT
I agree, skepticism is one thing but that sort of commentary in unnecessary and unwelcome.
well said...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
William S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin,
You ought to send a set of your parts out to one of the well-known 993 motor builders here in the States (Jeff Gamroth, for example) and have them run an independent test. If you can conduct a true scientific test (controls, same motor, dyno, etc) that confirms your claims, you will have tons of customers here in the US.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

And if you need a donor car....
Old 08-25-2006, 03:50 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

pick me.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Colin,

I know you've been working on your modified heads for the SAI ports, but how does one get around the 100-cell cat problems here in States?

Anyone can correct me if I'm way off on this, but I thought the 100-cell cats can generate CEL on the OBDII cars. Also, EVEN if we can get them to run, would it be considered street legal in California? Anyone know of any 100-cell cats that are?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:09 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgianzero
....Also, EVEN if we can get them to run, would it be considered street legal in California? Anyone know of any 100-cell cats that are?
IIRC the rule in California is that NO modifications are allowed for the intake, emmisions and exhaust sytem UNLESS the part is CARB approved - and hence why there is a visual check in addition to the test itself. So drilled airboxes, RSR mufflers, Supercups, etc can cause you to fail since none of these have a CARB number. The TPC supercharger is another example...it does not cause increased emmisions but will fail the visual check since it is not CARB approved.

Sorry but I don't know anything about a 100 cell cat, which IMHO adds little benefit to a NA motor with stock internals.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

I read the Ninemeister article in Total 911 today. WOW!...

Colin...given the number of rebuilds is only going to increase, they sure make a case for this route when you do.

Excellent article...and nice mug shot!

Hope to see something in the US someday soon!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

David,

Try a car with sports cats and compare. I have them and the car is a lot less restricted. It definitely feels like it has gained a few horses. ;-)

Cheers,

David
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Colin is not familiar with our laws here in the States. For instance, when introducing a new product, you MUST test the product in Florida first because of the "Columbus clause" in our Constitution. I will offer my car as a donor.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993 c2
Sorry if I jumped the gun, and I am defensive of 9M, because. I work for 4Tech and set up the test. My background is in F1 and Indy car. I ran the Mercedes F1 engine test team for 6 years and as a consequence tend to take a scientific approach.
Robin, no big deal at all, I did not know you worked for 4T, I understand, it might have been disclosed somewhere else on the forum I did not see it. So we are talking here about your own designed heads. Congratulations. Being a scientific person, I am sure you value questions and challenges on the product
The biggest variable as you would guess is the standing start, tyres, clutch and the surface do not repeat that well. All cars had standard gearboxs, other than the 9M race car. .
I fully agree with you, and in fact I am very glad you raise this point which I always try to explain to quartermile fans. To compare true performance, gearbox and weight must be known, which they are here. Would you say 50-100mph should give a decent picture about performance to similar N/A cars g where Kg/HP and gears are known? I guess there is not much 150mph acceleration data out there to compare against and aerodynamics will also be a great uknown depending on the tests (head wind etc..).
The 9M rolling road is a good comparison tool and the fact that standard cars give standard power means that the absolute values can't be too far off, unless Porsche are playng the power claim game as well?
Sorry I don't agree here based on what I have seen,mainly on turbocharged engines however, logic would say they do, but this is not scientifically correct. This is no dyno debate anyway, and I applaud the fact that you guys did a rolling test, which is the real way to look at performance.

I would have loved to have the AX22 datalogs as this would have given much more flexibility to conduct an analysis at different speeds. I will stick to 50-100mph if you believe it is good enough...
Originally Posted by '95 993
Jean,
I have sent you a pm re article (I have an electronic copy)
John
Thanks John, I appreciate it. I will take a look at the data. I am interested to know how much faster a car with these heads and 4.0 Ltrs can be, are we in turbo territory?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:12 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement.

Originally Posted by Jean
Thanks John, I appreciate it. I will take a look at the data. I am interested to know how much faster a car with these heads and 4.0 Ltrs can be, are we in turbo territory?

Jean,
Unfortunately the first 4.0 litre engine is in a customers car and we have not had the chance to test it other than on the dyno.

Because of time constraints we only managed to record two runs in each car so the results were using the "best of" feature of the AX22 software although this was carefully checked for each car to ensure that gearchanges were included in the times. From the two runs and one extra standing start the theoretical best 60-130 time of the 3.8 in my RS CS (stock gearing) is 10.0 secs dead, but the best from one run was 10.22sec. Remenber that this was on a totally flat runway tested in one direction only against a slight headwind of around 10-15mph (according to the airfield controller). The weight of the car on the day was 1280kg with lardy driver onboard () - I will post a picture of the speed/time graph in my next post (data is on my laptop). How does this compare with your known turbo results??

In dyno testing the 4.0 litre showed 40-50Nm improvements right across the rev range compared to the best ever pull of my 3.8 when the engine was fresh last year, thus I would guess that the 4.0 could post a 60-130 in the low 9.0s given identical conditions.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:17 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Jean,

Here is the 60-130 run for my 3.8 as promised:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
RS 60-130.pdf (9.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 08-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LAT
I agree, skepticism is one thing but that sort of commentary in unnecessary and unwelcome.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I started to write a long, indignent response to the doubters but in the end, I really cannot be a##ed! I think most people on here are intelegent enough to make up their own minds. However, it does seem to me that some people would need a full vet's report on whether an animal that looks like a dog, smells like a dog, behaves like a dog and barks like a dog really is a dog. Maybe there is a chance its a cat
Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
I started to write a long, indignent response to the doubters but in the end, I really cannot be a##ed! I think most people on here are intelegent enough to make up their own minds. However, it does seem to me that some people would need a full vet's report on whether an animal that looks like a dog, smells like a dog, behaves like a dog and barks like a dog really is a dog. Maybe there is a chance its a cat
That`s funny but sad at the same time because it is TRUE !!!!

Quick Reply: Ninemeister article