Sponsored by:

993-996 Challenge race

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:52 PM
bloke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASAracer,

This is nut! I think Radical Racer is making a point of him being the better driver. At this pt, it has nothing to do with 993 vs 996.

I mean would Radical Racer take on a real 996 team and a very experience driver with his stock 993. I think, we know the answer to that already. So, lets not get confused with Radical Racer's personal ego and get back to which car is faster. And, we all know the answer to this question already.

So, put a rest to it!
Old 05-28-2003, 05:44 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by bloke:
<strong>NASAracer,

This is nut! I think Radical Racer is making a point of him being the better driver. At this pt, it has nothing to do with 993 vs 996.

I mean would Radical Racer take on a real 996 team and a very experience driver with his stock 993. I think, we know the answer to that already. So, lets not get confused with Radical Racer's personal ego and get back to which car is faster. And, we all know the answer to this question already.

So, put a rest to it!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I think you completely miss the point. This challenge was made by 996FLT6 in calling someone an a$$hole and implying that this format race would prove that the 996 was a better car. He is an idiot for making such a challenge - I am just having fun taking him up on it. Would I take on a real 996 team in a nicely painted street 996 witha stock 993 - you bet I would. This is not about my ego or driving skills (which are NOT all that impressive). Go back and look and you will see that I am not the one that issues a stupid challenge. I just took that challenge on the smarter side of the deal. I am fully prepared to go through with this. I will put a 993 on the track, with a full cage and wearing full safety gear with an ambulance at the track ready to go. It will be a track car or something where the body repairs don't really matter and I will be going in with the full understanding of the fact that the car will be a mess when it is over.

On the other side, is a nice street 996 that is going to be a basket case at the end of this event.

I have said all along this has nothing to do with 993-996 issues. This is about an obnoxious post and a stupid challenge that I am accepting. So Bloke, if you can find a 'real' 996 team that is willing to take his place in a street 996, then I am on for that challenge too. Heck, I'll even drive a Honda in that deal - it will still be fun and still have the same outcome.

So far, Pete (NASA) is one of the very few to understand the outcome - one car will 'win' and two cars will be pretty well trashed.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:14 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by NASAracer:
<strong>
we finished the last season having replaced every single body panel except the roof.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That's about how I figure this event will end too.

If it's a race, then it's a real race.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:31 PM
acastell
Racer

Well, I was out of town for a few days and just had a chance to read all 90+ posts...all I can say is:

I will be there!

Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

This should get thread of the year! I think we all might be a little to harsh on each other. I dont see why there isnt any problem between 964 and 993. That should be the same with the 993 to 996. A 996 had alot more technology into it comapred to the 993. Even though they are both Porsches, they are 2 totally different cars.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe because Mike doesn't drive a 993 & troll the 964 board?
Old 05-28-2003, 11:55 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Shant Ohannessian:
<strong>I dont see why there isnt any problem between 964 and 993. That should be the same with the 993 to 996. A 996 had alot more technology into it comapred to the 993. Even though they are both Porsches, they are 2 totally different cars.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">..................Excellence Magazine this month reminded me that at the launch of the 993 Porsche described it as "30% new" relative to the 964 which had been described at the time of its launch as (IIRC) 85% new relative to the 911 it replaced.

So I think that answers why there is less friction between the 964 crew and the 993 mob.

What I'm interested in is whether when the 993 was new, there was the same degree of friction between 993 owners and pre-89 Carrera owners as exists between some 996 owners and the air-cooled 911s?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:20 AM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

The 996 owners were immediately put on the defensive... for example, by Seinfeld's proclamation that he owns the last 911 built, a 993 C4S. I don't think that the 993 was subject to similar objections.

That the 996 resale values are falling below the 993 doesn't help. Btw, I would expect this gap to widen over the years, just as a 1982 vette can cost twice what a 1984 vette costs.

Indications are that the 997 styling will orhpan the 996 as an outlier (although Porsche still has time to change the styling back to a 996 look).
Old 05-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Wahoogie
Racer

Well, someone make piece together a video of this. I won't be able to make it, being a few thousand miles away and all, but I'd love to see some clips.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:12 AM
red targa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I second Aaron's idea about putting together a video on this. Hell, why don't someone organize the sale of the race video. The proceeds can go back to the two teams to pay for part of the race or at least the party afterwards.

I am sure wether a video on Enduro race between a 996 & 993 exists or not, but it would be interesting. I for one would be willing to pay for such a video, even to partly sponsor such an interesting event.

Whatever the intention or purpose of this race, it may not resolve the question of whether 996 or 993 is the better car or a truer Porsche. It will however, be a very interesting race.

Mandatory pit time (fixed) is a very good idea to ensure safety, and also focus more on actual car/driver performance rather than pit work.

I confess I have no racetrack experience, but I am still very interested to see this race conducted in a sportsman-like manner, and most of all in a safe manner.

Too bad I am half a globe away, otherwise, I would love to attend.

-------------------------------
Old 05-29-2003, 03:23 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So...Are you guys really rich enough and have enough free time thats its really worth it to go through all this for a ****-fight??

I mean really...

I was under the impression that people MATURED as they aged...
Old 05-29-2003, 03:51 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>So...Are you guys really rich enough and have enough free time thats its really worth it to go through all this for a ****-fight??

I mean really...

I was under the impression that people MATURED as they aged...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yes, Us 993 guys are that rich! we don't have to pay for coolant!

People do not mature has they grow older, they just get older!!
Old 05-29-2003, 03:51 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>So...Are you guys really rich enough and have enough free time thats its really worth it to go through all this for a ****-fight??

I mean really...

I was under the impression that people MATURED as they aged...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Thanks for your concern, but I have enough money and time for this race. Hell, this is a fraction of the $ and time we put into OTC - all for a cheap trophy and bragging rights. And SCCA racing - there is some serious $ and time.

I don't think I am interested in your view of maturing. I prefer to do the things that sound like fun rather than be mature. Since pretty much all competition is essentially '****-fighting' then yes, it is worth it for a ****-fight.

You seem pretty mature. Me, I have no intention of growing up.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:04 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I want the video!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Suwipin:
<strong>Be careful NOT to get dehydrated... it's getting really warm out there (especially at Thunderhill) </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Not sure if you are refering to the drivers or the cars. I can guarantee you that a stock 996 won't last for 6 hours if driven at any real pace in 90-100 degree heat. That is why this bet is so easy... do you guys remember the story about the tortoise and the hare? Or the racer saying that to finish first you must first finish?

Quick Reply: 993-996 Challenge race