Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Wayne,
I ordered a MEDIUM jacket, not LARGE. People can make their own conclusions and purchase from who they wish.
Please send me the original email confirmation you received. I get a copy of the same exact email from our system, and I pulled it up - here is a cut and paste from it:

Item Name Item Price Quantity Item Total
WAP-541-000-14-L
Porsche Motorsport Parka - Grey w/ Red lining
$281.95 1 $281.95
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You did not order a Medium, but a Large. There is no restocking fee on an exchange to a different size. I just don't see what the huge problem is here - we're more than happy to exchange it with the proper size. Yet somehow you think that is "dishonest." I would probably say that was more of a "personal attack" than anything else.

-Wayne
Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
Someone who is a regular on Pelican should post a link to this thread. Wayne would want to know. Let's see if he makes it right.

Having owned a couple of small businesses in the past that dealt with higher income individuals (like most of those on these boards) I would rather lose a little money on one customer to make him happy than risk pissing him off and him taking his business and that of his friends elsewhere. Bad press on forums such as these can be a business killer!

Let's hope this gets resolved quickly and amicably!
YOU SURE WOULD THINK SO!!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I have been dealing with Wayne and Pelican Parts for almost 8 years now.
I have spent a combined total (between three 911's) of somewhere very close to $26,000 in parts bought over the last 7 1/2 years or so from Pelican Parts.

Mistakes do happen. Just last week I dicsovered a caliper paint kit I had originally ordered, then canceled (20 minutes later) had somehow shipped and my credit card charged. I called them up and talked to Travis or Tom. They simply told me to deny delivery if I caught the UPS guy or to call them and have a return shipping label mailed if UPS dropped it off at the door.
They have taken care of it. I've returned all sorts of things to Pelican Parts in the past and have not had a problem. Many parts simply because I decided I didn't like it or wanted something else.

Let me tell you a little story about Wayne Dempsey.
When I was a single guy, no more than 23 years old I had just about had enough of the electrical problems in my first 911SC. Something in the headlight circuit was frying the turn signal lever. After a month or so of fiddling, and replacing the turn signal switch, TWICE, I finally had the problem narrowed down to two things. Well, the next thing I knew I had fried yet another signal switch (over $100 a pop) and I was just fed up. I was sure I now knew what the problem was but I was ready to just sell the can and be done with it. I was not in a position to be throwing $100 twice a week at a car that wanted to melt the turn signal switch.

Bottom line to all this is Wayne emailed me privately and said he would replace my turn signal switch for free. And he DID, people. The switch I had bought was not defective... there was a short between the headlight relay causing the switch to melt. It was not his fault, but he replaced it for me.
I guess you could say, after that nightmare with the switch, I was transformed from a Pelican supporter to a Pelican Parts Mujahideen.

It is very rare to hear of a complaint about PP. I sincerely hope you will not dubb the organization bad based upon one or two experiences. Plus, with all due respect to Mr. Sullivan, we all know there are always two sides to every story.
I hope you can get your complaint resolved.

Leland E Pate, SA, USAF
Founder, SCWDP
yep, but I have news for you, the customer is almost ALWAYS right.....

what do you think, that this is some scam I thought up to wear, then return, then save shipping on a $300 jacket?

come on think about it....
Old 01-03-2005, 04:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eli at P
Jonathon,

As “Carrera Mike” had recommended I certainly would also recommended that you made an effort to contact me directly or an other member of the staff before choosing airing out dirty laundry here on the boards.

As recommended by “jrgordonsenior” an apology would be in order if in fact, we were in error which unfortunately wasn’t the case this time.

In all fairness allow me to present the facts: On Sunday December 26, 2004 Jonathon placed an order ON-LINE for the following item. (CUT AND PASTED FROM THE ACTUAL ORDER).

You have sent a request to purchase:

Item Name
WAP-541-000-14-L Porsche Motorsport Parka - Grey w/ Red lining

https://pelicanserver4:1336/shopcart..._pg8.htm#item4

The “L” designation found after the part number WAP-541-000-14 is a drop-down selection which is distinguishes the variation in sizes for this item. YOU CAN SEE THAT THE ORDER CLEARLY INDICATES AN “L” FOR LARGE. The estimated ship date on this particular item was actually January 5, 2005 according to our on-line estimator. We actually shipped this item out 3 business days after the order was placed. “Early”!

We at Pelican Parts do our best to provide our customers the level of support, service and parts that have made us what we are today. We have also sponsored forums (including our own), local shows and have sponsored various charitable organizations around the country. On occasion when we make a mistake on an order we have and will continue to step up to the plate to make things right, it’s just what we do! The policies for restocking we designed to help with the handling involved, which in most cases is more time consuming than the initial order itself. We reviewed dozens of online retailers before revamping our return policy last year.

See return policy: http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OrderingFAQ.htm

Jonathon,

Travis has been with Pelican Parts for some time now and has probably received more letters of phrase through our online survey over any other employee both sales and customer service. It’s very shocking to hear just the opposite here on Rennlist….?

I want to thank you for the $600.00 in business you brought to us this past year and hope you’ll reconsider your position here. I’ve taken this time out of a busy Monday morning so that I could look into and address this issue quickly. As I’ve mentioned many times before to fellow Rennlisters I can be reached directly at eli@pelicanparts.com for ANY reason.

I'd also like to add that we discounted Jonathon's shipping on the replacement order by $10.00 just to help.....

In closing I’d like to thank those who have mentioned their positive experiences here at Pelican Parts and to those who will continue to support our site.

Sincerely,

Eli Sesma
General Manager
Pelican Parts Inc.

Pelican site: www.pelicanparts.com
Pelican boards: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/index.php?s=
not sure why you feel the need to explain the exact dollar amount i purchased with pelican this year....but ok (is that legal by the way/)

anyways, just to be clear, i took possession of my new (to me) 993 in aug-sept, so that $600 i spent with you over the course of less than 6 months.

to the administrator: didnt mean to start such a thread war, was originally hoping to provide customer experience feedback to the rennlist community, which i believe everyone should do...
perhaps this thread should be shut down (?)
Old 01-03-2005, 04:08 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, he is showing you clearly that you ordered a "L" which is large. Further, despite your mistake he is saying he'll exchange it for you for the "M" size. What is the problem here? Take a step back and look at the situation. Are you flying off the handle on this? What is dishonest?

PS: I agree with you on one point- Wayne you should not be publicly telling everyone what someone spent on your site. You have done this a few times and every time I thought it was wrong.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

FYI, I told Travis directly that this would be "aired" on rennlist, and he kept repeating that he had nothing more to say to me....
I think that this statement says it all. Here is a customer who calls up after he ordered the wrong item, and then threatens to slander the company on the Internet if he doesn't get his way. This is after we've offered to exchange the item for the proper size, free of charge.

My reputation and the reputation of Pelican Parts stands on its own. I've built this company based upon excellent Customer Service and I have thousands of customers who will atest to that.

Thanks again everyone for your continued support - this is the last I will post on this silly thread.

-Wayne
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Thought ?

not sure why you feel the need to explain the exact dollar amount i purchased with pelican this year....but ok (is that legal by the way/)

anyways, just to be clear, i took possession of my new (to me) 993 in aug-sept, so that $600 i spent with you over the course of less than 6 months.

to the administrator: didnt mean to start such a thread war, was originally hoping to provide customer experience feedback to the rennlist community, which i believe everyone should do...
perhaps this thread should be shut down (?)

I apologize if you felt I was belittling your spending habits with us, I actually mentioned this only give others a fair impression that "this wasn't your first purchase with us". I think you may be reading into this a little to far....

I’d like to remind you that you were the one who initially mentioned your spending habits during your first post.

“Funny thing here is the $thousands I probably would have spent in misc. parts with them”

No customer is to small for us and we have many loyal customer who keep coming back because we take the time to find those hard to find items that most dealerships won’t deal with such as fasteners, grommets and such.

Once again I’m here and will continue to be here for all of our customers both site members or not. My E-mail is eli@pelicanparts.com

-Eli
Old 01-03-2005, 04:29 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow - I think someone needs to switch to decaf...
Old 01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
M491
Racer

mrsullivan: Why can't you just admit that you ordered the wrong size, and that it was shipped to you promptly and as promised (actually before promised)?

And that PP very reasonably offered to exchange it for the right size, without the restocking fee?

I have no dog in this fight, but just so you know - you have come across very poorly in this thread, IMO. No credibility at all, IMO.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by David in LA
Since Pelican did not ship you what you ordered you can dispute the charge with the credit card company if it comes to that. I've never ordered anything from Pelican but until this post they were on my short list of vendors that I would consider ordering from.
++ I think David has the way to go here. This thread and repeated posts are bugging me too as I've only seen the best from Pelican. Coming here and making amends negates that there may be another side to the circumstance...and you ordering the incorrect size fits. Most business' will do that in person if a problem exists...especially those as good as Pelican. Sorry you had the problem.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM
RutgersU
Racer

yep, but I have news for you, the customer is almost ALWAYS right.....
This is what I hate about being a business owner, people think they can bully their way to reduced rates, free products/services etc by threatening to bad mouth the company. I dont know what happened here but having a "customer is always right" attitude as a buyer is just another way for people to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to add that my personal experience with Pelican on a messed up order was great. There was an item missing and when I called in the rep was very polite and fixed the problem quickly and told me a replacement would be shipped out. To my suprise, I found the package was overnighted and on my doorstep the very next day.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
an6drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why lie about it taking a " full week" for Pelican ship the order out, when it was shipped the fourth business day (actually fourth day period)? To try & make them look worse and gain some support?

I assume by "next-day ship order" you mean you selected an overnight delivery service in the shipping options i.e FedEx? The times I've ordered from Pelican the web catalogue was pretty clear in defining the availability of every product (i.e. in this case "ship within 5 business days") and it was pretty clear to me that this is a concept distinct from a freight service's delivery times.

Did your confirmation email indicate size L or not???
Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what do you think, that this is some scam I thought up to wear, then return, then save shipping on a $300 jacket?
No sir, not at all.
I only suppose there were aspects of this transaction that could have been handled better on both ends.

You have a beautiful car, enjoy it.
Take care,

Leland
Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm - I get home from work - and see a Pelican " Dishonest Business Practices" thread..?? Sorry - but that's an oxymoron.... Let me explain.....

Wayne and I go way back - and not to recount history, I will tell you that Wayne and all the folks at Pelican have been a Sponsor on this site since before it "was" Rennlist. In fact - they were my first Sponsor as "Porschelist". Since those days - it would be my honor to personally vouch for Wayne and his folks as being beyond reproach. They are, indeed - without question, one of the most ethical businesses out there - at any level or compared to *any* business. I think I have the historical business relationship to say that, as they supported Rennlisters without any hints of problems for years..... And if there were problems, then I would know.

As to being a Rennlist Sponsor - you bet your “patoozie” I'm proud of their record. In fact - after 8 years - I do believe this is the first - and only real "complaint" I've seen posted. Furthermore - it's to Wayne's and Eli's credit for posting back in public. To me - that says it all.

Now - here is my guess.....

Based on the automated system - an order for a "large" was placed. The customer expected a "medium". Further, I'm pretty certain that if Wayne was e-mailed privately - his response would have been the same, and to paraphrase "where ever the order error was made – either by the customer (probable), or the system - we'll make it "right"...". Having a keen sense of the obvious - I'm pretty certain that's exactly *what* the folks from Pelican posted in their replies....?

Anyway - as a customer of Pelican myself for years, I will tell you I'm proud of their customer service. As a Sponsor on Rennlist - I value businesses who can hold to that same standard. Frankly, many businesses have asked to be "Rennlist Sponsors" - but I only choose to allow those who can maintain to those same standards as Pelican and the other Rennlist Sponsors...

Just my $0.02

John D.

Quick Reply: Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts