993 Forum 1995-1998

Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:05 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts

Very disappointed today in a Rennlist Sponsor - Pelican Parts. Very surprsised that Rennlist would be associated with this type of vendor.

Placed a next-day ship order for a birthday gift for my wife (Porsche Motorsport Parka). Order didnt ship for a full week, and then when it arrived it was the wrong size. Her birthday is Wednesday, so they would not be able to get the correct size out in time. When I tried to just return instead, they wanted to charge me the original shipping, return shipping, and a "restocking fee" of $15. Was told by Travis at Pelican Parts that "its not our fault...return policy is clearly stated on our website, etc.". He was very rude and argumentative with me, even though I originally ordered the medium.

Funny thing here is the $thousands I probably would have spent in misc. parts with them had I not experienced a problem over $100 in shipping/restock fees. Another reason to purchase from Carnewal, Devek, etc. I suppose.

I definitely wont be shopping at Pelican Parts ever again....if you do, I hope you do not get treated the same
Old 01-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting. I have had nothing but wonderful service from their parts department.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

this was not even a bad service issue....outright dishonesty it appears.... maybe Travis is new there... in any case, wont be shopping there again...have purchased previously from them without a hitch...
Old 01-03-2005, 12:17 PM
jdoc7
Pro

I have had nothing but excellent service from Pelican Parts. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

i guess the real question here is whether of the excellent service experiences have included a return? most companies are great on customer service when you are puchasing with no hiccups...i guess the true test of customer service is how a company treats you when they mess up or things dont go right... last time i ordered from pelican (rear deflector), i had no problems either...

its the difference between making a puchase and making a customer for life
Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is pretty tough to swallow. Pelican definitely has shipping issues and even a little problem with quality control when processing orders. But they have never been less than super friendly and professional when I call with problems. Once or twice they've just gone ahead and shipped me another of whatever I ordered that didn't show up for a while - no charge and with just an oral commitment on my part to return whatever extra I don't pay for. This is an anomaly at worst.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jonathan, I would report that Travis guy to Pelican Parts manager/supervisor.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Very disappointed today in a Rennlist Sponsor - Pelican Parts. Very surprsised that Rennlist would be associated with this type of vendor.

Placed a next-day ship order for a birthday gift for my wife (Porsche Motorsport Parka). Order didnt ship for a full week, and then when it arrived it was the wrong size. Her birthday is Wednesday, so they would not be able to get the correct size out in time. When I tried to just return instead, they wanted to charge me the original shipping, return shipping, and a "restocking fee" of $15. Was told by Travis at Pelican Parts that "its not our fault...return policy is clearly stated on our website, etc.". He was very rude and argumentative with me, even though I originally ordered the medium.

Funny thing here is the $thousands I probably would have spent in misc. parts with them had I not experienced a problem over $100 in shipping/restock fees. Another reason to purchase from Carnewal, Devek, etc. I suppose.

I definitely wont be shopping at Pelican Parts ever again....if you do, I hope you do not get treated the same

Jonathan,
Call Kim at Boardwalk Porsche in Plano....... 214-576-1911.
Judging from your avatar picture, I think you got your car there.
She runs the Boutique there. If they don't have one in stock they can probably get it by tomorrow or Wed.

HTH,
Scott
Old 01-03-2005, 12:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

"Pelican definitely has shipping issues and even a little problem with quality control when processing orders..."

Well thats a litte troubling since they are in the business of processing orders and shipping!!!! :-)

My issue here was not with the shipping mess up, it was with the denial and unwillingness to make it right... plus the litigious way Travis told me to go read the website fine print, etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks for the recommendation Scott...believe me in the future, will suck up the tax to shop accesories at boardwalk...have always had good service experiences there...

In this case, I have to still go through Pelican, or I lose $68.79...thats the shipping and restocking that they were going to charge me for this $250 item. While it pains me to do it (and wife will receive gift late), I am not going to throw away almost $70. They have got me by the cojones... (this time)
Old 01-03-2005, 12:50 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

That's interesting. I had a very similar experience a couple years ago. They took over a month to get me a part shipped, and then sent the wrong part. I wouldn't have been so upset if I didn't have to keep calling them to find out why it sat pending for weeks at a time. About 3 weeks later, the correct part shipped for a total wait time of almost 2 months. Same story about the general apathetic responses until I got a manager who seemed to care a little and did get the order right. I even tried the great PP owner "Wayne" to which I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply. My favorite was the voice mail from the parts guy I was dealing with. "This is 'so and so' and I can't answer your call. Leave a message and I might get back to you." Yes, a customer service rep said "MIGHT" get back to you. That's the extra effort I'm talkin' about!!!

Since then, I've spent no time on the Pelican tech boards, and no money with Pelican Parts. I have probably spent at least $5000 with their competitors though. ... but I don't hold a grudge.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:57 PM
JohnJL
Pro

They recently held my whole $500 order for receipt of an OEM tool from Porsche. They didn't tell me they were holding the order and I only found out when I called them to find out why they missed the 5-day shipping window.

Even now a month later I still don't have my Porsche tool and they don't have an expected delivery date. ;-(
Old 01-03-2005, 01:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Wayne, or whomever is in charge, should come on this board and either appologise to Mr. Sullivan and remedy the situation (overnight freight), or explain the discrepency.
There's a lot if support here for Rennlist sponsors, and I feel they actually owe us excellent service or an plausible explanation. Laize-faire.....
JRG
Old 01-03-2005, 01:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Since Pelican did not ship you what you ordered you can dispute the charge with the credit card company if it comes to that. I've never ordered anything from Pelican but until this post they were on my short list of vendors that I would consider ordering from.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:11 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BS911
That's interesting. I had a very similar experience a couple years ago. They took over a month to get me a part shipped, and then sent the wrong part. I wouldn't have been so upset if I didn't have to keep calling them to find out why it sat pending for weeks at a time. About 3 weeks later, the correct part shipped for a total wait time of almost 2 months. Same story about the general apathetic responses until I got a manager who seemed to care a little and did get the order right. I even tried the great PP owner "Wayne" to which I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply. My favorite was the voice mail from the parts guy I was dealing with. "This is 'so and so' and I can't answer your call. Leave a message and I might get back to you." Yes, a customer service rep said "MIGHT" get back to you. That's the extra effort I'm talkin' about!!!

Since then, I've spent no time on the Pelican tech boards, and no money with Pelican Parts. I have probably spent at least $5000 with their competitors though. ... but I don't hold a grudge.
thanks for all the replies and support.... seems to be at the very least a trend with problems regarding processing/shipping at Pelican Parts... at the very worst, some dishonest business practices...

admittedly, i am ticked off (sort obvious from all my posting this morning on this)...

as a group, i believe that rennlist members spend a lot of $$ with sponsors... in the last 30 days alone, I have spent over $2k with rennlist sponsors... no customer should be treated apathetic like this, but especially not our well-deserved powerful purchasing lobby (IMHO)...

if Gert at Carnewal had this product in stock, I would have purchased from him...what a delightful experience it has been buying from him in the past, and his reputation on this board is well deserved...

Quick Reply: Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts