993 Forum 1995-1998

Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
This entire incident could easily have been avoided, but I do think Mr. Sullivan is right about one thing, even if he did mistakenly click L instead of M. Wayne himself said the the restocking fee policy was implemente to prevent ordering abuse, and you have to agree with his logic. However, a birthday present is something Mr Sullivan would likely replace before Pelican could get a medium to him. So he doesn't really fit into the abuser type customer. Pelican could have just as easily waived the restocking fee had their policy been a bit more flexible for Travis to interpret.

Don't get me wrong, I've had almost all postive experiences with Pelican, and will continue to be their customer for many of my needs. Not all, because they just don't have enough 996 parts yet. In fact, the only time I had an order shipped that was something other than what I thought I ordered....I was wrong. I gave them a bad survery after the transaction, and then received an email from Wayne and Eli who both pointed out that I made a mistake, which I did...didn't read the description closely, but they both offered to do something to rectify the situation on their dime.

If Eli or Waynes first post had been in the same vein as their correspondence with me, Mr Sullivan would probably be what my company refers to as a "winback" Instead, Mr Sullivan got fried on this forum, Pelican comes off looking a bit defensive, though still a well respected supplier, as they most certainly are. But on the bright side, there has been an interesting thread going all day that was worth taking a peek at everytime we got a chance.
extremely extremely well put...

but now, I just wish it would die already...my intention was not to gunk up the board with this all day..
Old 01-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll disagree...

Pelican doesn't come off looking defensive. Instead, they come off looking squared away. They were able to produce the confirmation e-mail, something mrsullivan couldn't (or wouldn't) do. It turns out there was far more to the story than he was willing to tell. I don't know where the miscommunication occurred, and frankly I don't really care. But mrsullivan hopefully learned a valuable lesson - before you vent your spleen on a BBS, make sure you 1) have understood and exhausted all recourse with the vendor and 2) have your facts straight.

IMNSHO, mrsullivan is the one who came off looking like a jerk.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich W

It is extremely interesting to see such differing opinions in one thread. I, for instance, think the only one who came off looking like a jerk was the guy who thought Leland's avatar was anti-french (not that there's anything wrong with that...).
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I'll disagree...

Pelican doesn't come off looking defensive. Instead, they come off looking squared away. They were able to produce the confirmation e-mail, something mrsullivan couldn't (or wouldn't) do. It turns out there was far more to the story than he was willing to tell. I don't know where the miscommunication occurred, and frankly I don't really care. But mrsullivan hopefully learned a valuable lesson - before you vent your spleen on a BBS, make sure you 1) have understood and exhausted all recourse with the vendor and 2) have your facts straight.

Geez louise.... of course there was an email confirmation, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this... all comes down to that little "L" at the end of a string of numbers that I couldnt figure out in the email...no "large" indicated anywhere, and my knowledge that i had ordered something different... there is absolutely no way to know exactly what happened in the order placement process, but what I know is that in my line of work, when a customer has a problem, you fix it ...period. May or may not be profitable on that particular transaction, but long term, its the right way to run a business. Blaming problems and circumstances on the customer is not. Taking advantage of a customer with some kind of "restock fee" for a jacket is not. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but voicing my experience doesnt necessarily make me a jerk... I am actually a pretty easy going nice guy most of the time :-) And lastly, by the way -- if you read through this entire thread, it would appear that I am not the only one that has had these kinds of problems...

there i go breaking my own rule.... gonna try again to let this thing die...
Old 01-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll disagree...

I think Robert H posted the same thing........but in a different way
Old 01-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Johnathan

Please do not imply from my post that I think you're a jerk - I do not, and if my post in any way made you think that my opinion of you was low, then I apologize. That was purely unintended.

As I stated, I do not know where the miscommunication occurred, and neither do I care. I am not here to affix blame to anyone, nor am I here to take sides. I merely take what I see (e-mail) and form a conclusion. Since I was not party to your phone conversation with Travis, it falls into a "he said/he said" situation, which to me is a wash.

I agree with you, that we should let this thread die.

And I wish you a good day and better transactions in the future.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention - I DID read the entire thread. A few complaints out of thousands of transactions, yet they were apparently all handled promptly. Doesn't register as a problem in my book.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My avatar has been changed in the interest of world peace.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
ROFLMAO.... :-)
Old 01-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
...until some RV'ing hippie who owns a Cayenne reads this.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Better watch out Leland - some redneck might take offense to you fixin' up "one of them fancy ferrn cars" instead of putting that camper shell on a 63 Chevy pickup (where it ought to be).

What's next, a deer tied across the hood and a gun rack?

Old 01-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

I've read this thread from beginning to end and can say that I have zero issues with PP. As to the customer always being right, no way. I just returned to work today to discover that one of my customers returned 120,000 lb. of stainless steel to a processor with NO authorization. Why? Because they knew they could get away with it, also a great way to reduce your year end inventory. Needless to say they buy a lot of steel.

Point here is that PP has stated in print exactly what their return policies are and they wish to live by them. My God how simple can it get.

And Johnathan, I have selected items online and scrolled down to the next item only to find that I just changed the item I selected via scrolling. That's why I go back and check my order before I hit the submit button. It's the other side of the buyer/seller good relations equation.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 AM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Jonathan,
Is it possible to work something out with PP so that you can give the wife the large jacket, even if its the wrong size, and then get the correct size when PP gets it in stock. Seems like the birthday will be fine and the transaction can then be rectified.
Michael
Old 01-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Has anyone considered that when Mr. Sullivan hit M for medium the computer could have missed it and took it as L?

One time I was dating a girl from my college when I shouldn't have been, and I had two girls with the same first name next to each other in my address book and know I clicked one Rie and it mistakenly clicked on the other Rie and all hell broke lose, I mean it started....well lets just say it did not help my dating practices that year.

Nothing as serious as this situation of course as I did eventually leave that school and started getting laid again but it could have all started when Mr. Sullivan pulled down M hit it and it still took L instead and sent it to PP? That would explain a lot. And if anyone reads this that knows Rie could you call her on my behalf please, I think I still love her.

I should ask that if you do know her probably better not to mention what I said about after I left that school.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I would just suggest that before anyone goes airing any issues with a sponsor, to contact the administrators privately and expose the issue. They are the biggest supporters of the members and will not allow any sponsor to do any kind of wrong with any member....as long as the facts are right...I am talking from experience..

Quick Reply: Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts