993 Forum 1995-1998

Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:53 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Placed a next-day ship order for a birthday gift for my wife (Porsche Motorsport Parka). Order didnt ship for a full week, and then when it arrived it was the wrong size.
Did they ship the wrong size or did you realize you ordered the wrong size? To charge a restocking fee on their mistake is crazy. Sounds like the guy was having a bad day and took it out on you.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

had whole shipment of parts mysteriously being whisked to brazil(nice one, ups !) even though i live in europe, pp sent me a full replacement shipment before the other one was even located by ups. everybody at PP has always been very helpful and polite. so personally i'm very happy about pp customer service. I had several shipments the last year, and all were fine
Old 01-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default .....

Originally Posted by john-'96 993 cab
Did they ship the wrong size or did you realize you ordered the wrong size? To charge a restocking fee on their mistake is crazy. Sounds like the guy was having a bad day and took it out on you.
John as previously noted we shipped out exactly what was ordered in a timely manner.

-Eli
Old 01-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a mistake in ordering. I've been guilty of that before, but could only blame myself.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by eli at P
John as previously noted we shipped out exactly what was ordered in a timely manner.

-Eli
This being the case the buyer should pay for all shipping but if the mistake was caught quickly then the restocking fee is out of line, especially if he wants an exchange. Mistakes happen and a 15% fee for a wrong size is not right if its still new, in box.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
atl 911!
AutoX

......Its pretty quiet around here all of the sudden.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:27 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Dishonest Business Practices? Hardly. Perhaps this gentleman is having a bad day today.

He ordered the parka on Sunday Dec 26th. There is a 5-day lead time for this particular parka (it's not a commonly purchased part). The order shipped out on Thursday, Dec 30th. Expected ship time was Jan 5th. If you check the order status screen on our website, it clearly states that the expected ship time is January 5th. Also, the gentleman ordered a Large in this size from our website. I also checked the notes on his order, and it does indeed show NO RESTOCKING FEE, so perhaps the conversation with Travis (one of my best employees) was misunderstood this morning.

Pelican has been striving to improve all aspects of our business over the past few years. In the past year (2004) we have made the following significant improvements:

- Redesigned the website and added a new search engine to make it easier to find items
- Added six new sections from tools to garage gadgets
- Installed a delivery estimator, which specifically indicates when your order is expected to ship, based on the longest-lead time item
- Added the full OEM parts listing for Porsche to our catalog, so you can special order any item from us instead of from the dealer
- Lowered our shipping rates, thanks to switching carriers
- Added item-by-item status checking in our order status screen (you can now see what's in your order and what's still being assembled).
- Added a new feature where if your order is delayed, an email is automatically sent out (spam filters unfortunately catch these sometimes).

Our average shipping and check-in time has signicantly improved. One problem is that as we have added more and more special-order parts, the time-to-ship sometimes takes longer. Sometimes parts have to come from Porsche in Atlanta, sometimes they have to come from Germany! We understand that supplying all of these special order parts sometimes slows down the processing of the order, BUT, we have decided that it is far better to offer a HUGE selection than just a small smattering of parts. For example, you can buy a clutch kit almost anywhere, but almost no other suppliers will sell you a complete kit with all of the specialty PORSCHE-only parts (like bushings, and pressure plate bolts). We've been working on this for many years now, and our customers appear to appreciate it.

Obviously, this trist with the gentleman appears to be a communication break-down. I can't seem to find any "mistakes" that we made to encourage such wrath. We are continuing to expand our catalog and improve all aspects of our business model, and will still go out of the way in the future to fix things - when we make a mistake.

Thanks everyone for your support!

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by IB Member Support; 02-01-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Requested over matters of privacy
Old 01-03-2005, 03:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, isn't the internet a fabulous tool! I believe that's what's called a "plausible explanation".
Now if Dan Rather had only tried that.....
Glad you could post and clarify Wayne. Best of business to you in the new year....
JRG
Old 01-03-2005, 03:36 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnJL
They recently held my whole $500 order for receipt of an OEM tool from Porsche. They didn't tell me they were holding the order and I only found out when I called them to find out why they missed the 5-day shipping window.

Even now a month later I still don't have my Porsche tool and they don't have an expected delivery date. ;-(
This goes back to the problem of special ordering parts from Germany. Our system automatically sends out an email (it may have gotten caught by your spam filter) saying that your order will be delayed, and asking you to reply to the email or call in, if you would like your order partially shipped. Otherwise, the order is held until the tool is received from Germany. We get replies and calls all the time from these automatic emails, so they do seem to work with most people...

-Wayne
Old 01-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john-'96 993 cab
This being the case the buyer should pay for all shipping but if the mistake was caught quickly then the restocking fee is out of line, especially if he wants an exchange. Mistakes happen and a 15% fee for a wrong size is not right if its still new, in box.
John,

We offered to get him out a replacement without restocking fees, all he needs to do is send the one he ordered incorrectly to us.

The other option was a standard restocking fee if he did not want the replacement.

-Eli
Old 01-03-2005, 03:45 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Alex, you are correct. Really, the head dog at PP should be contacted and made aware of this fellows attitude. If more people were held accountable for their actions, problems like this would be less frequent. It is a serious problem that has seen "customer service" become an oxymoron by todays standards.
Just a note on this - Travis is the best customer service rep I have had in the history of the company. Not only is he knowledgeable, but he is straightforward and reasonable as well. We have restocking fees listed on the site to discourage people from buying thousands of dollars worth of parts that they don't need, and then returning them. This significantly drives up our costs, as we keep a very low inventory. I made the decision (as owner) to keep our costs low and not to pass on these costs to our other customers. In general, our prices are about 20% lower than other "catalog" retailers mainly because we take steps like these to reduce "abuse" of the system.

I read a story in the Wall Street Journal last year about stores like Target and Home Depot and their liberal return policies. There was even one note about Home Depot taking back a car tire from a customer - and they don't even sell tires. Well, everyone who shops there ends up paying for that in the form of higher prices.

I just went through our returns log last week, and I found that in 90% of returns, we waived the restocking fee for our customers. The main exceptions are special-order items.

One point that was lost was that we offered to exchange the Parka for the gentleman with another one of the same exact size, with no restocking fee of course. It is our standard policy to freely exchange clothing items for different sizes if they don't happen to fit.

Thanks again everyone for your continued support of Pelican Parts!

-Wayne

Last edited by IB Member Support; 02-01-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Requested over matters of privacy
Old 01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Sammyg2
8th Gear

Funny, as I was reading the first post it struck me as odd, no it struck me as hard to believe based on my positive personal experiences with PP.

I tried to give the benefit of the doubt but the story was too hard to swallow.
it reaked of personal vendetta and distortion of facts.
Moral of the story? Always go with your first instinct.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne,
I should have clarified that my issue doesn't fall under the topic of "Dishonest." I did speak to the customer service rep on my second call, my frustration was that there was no info about when it would be available. I did not receive an e-mail about holding the order. When my firewall blocks the mail, I get a notification.

I DID receive a call from your staff who was sharp enough to see my note on the order "Please call me if I missed anything for my 60K service." He called to say I did not order a fuel filter, would I like one. I pointed out that it was supposed to be included in the Maintenance Kit I ordered. It was a confusing call, but I was glad he picked up on that nonetheless. He did not mention in that call that the order was being held until the wrench shipped.

I'm happy we have a good selection of vendors out there and hope the competition keeps the quality up. There are several vendors out there with very good reputations.

Best,
John
Old 01-03-2005, 03:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wayne,

The problem here was not with product availability or shipping problems, it is with honesty in business practices and the way you treat customers. I was actually having a great day, and you sir are doing a good job trying to cover a bad customer experience and pretending to run a business different than apparently you do in practice. After being threaten with a restock fee, I agreed to exchange the item instead of return it the way I intended to do....only after being threaten restock and shipping fees if I returned the untouched item...

I ordered a MEDIUM jacket, not LARGE. People can make their own conclusions and purchase from who they wish. For me, you just lost a lifetime of Porsche parts busines....but then something tells me that it probably doesnt bother you at all.

All this over a jacket... hopefully Pelican Parts (Travis ) can take away a lesson from this incident...

Your personal attacks about me having a bad day are rather telling by the way....
Old 01-03-2005, 03:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eli at P
Jonathon,

As “Carrera Mike” had recommended I certainly would also recommended that you made an effort to contact me directly or an other member of the staff before choosing airing out dirty laundry here on the boards.

As recommended by “jrgordonsenior” an apology would be in order if in fact, we were in error which unfortunately wasn’t the case this time.

In all fairness allow me to present the facts: On Sunday December 26, 2004 Jonathon placed an order ON-LINE for the following item. (CUT AND PASTED FROM THE ACTUAL ORDER).

You have sent a request to purchase:

Item Name
WAP-541-000-14-L Porsche Motorsport Parka - Grey w/ Red lining

https://pelicanserver4:1336/shopcart..._pg8.htm#item4

The “L” designation found after the part number WAP-541-000-14 is a drop-down selection which is distinguishes the variation in sizes for this item. YOU CAN SEE THAT THE ORDER CLEARLY INDICATES AN “L” FOR LARGE. The estimated ship date on this particular item was actually January 5, 2005 according to our on-line estimator. We actually shipped this item out 3 business days after the order was placed. “Early”!

We at Pelican Parts do our best to provide our customers the level of support, service and parts that have made us what we are today. We have also sponsored forums (including our own), local shows and have sponsored various charitable organizations around the country. On occasion when we make a mistake on an order we have and will continue to step up to the plate to make things right, it’s just what we do! The policies for restocking we designed to help with the handling involved, which in most cases is more time consuming than the initial order itself. We reviewed dozens of online retailers before revamping our return policy last year.

See return policy: http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OrderingFAQ.htm

Jonathon,

Travis has been with Pelican Parts for some time now and has probably received more letters of phrase through our online survey over any other employee both sales and customer service. It’s very shocking to hear just the opposite here on Rennlist….?

I want to thank you for the $600.00 in business you brought to us this past year and hope you’ll reconsider your position here. I’ve taken this time out of a busy Monday morning so that I could look into and address this issue quickly. As I’ve mentioned many times before to fellow Rennlisters I can be reached directly at eli@pelicanparts.com for ANY reason.

I'd also like to add that we discounted Jonathon's shipping on the replacement order by $10.00 just to help.....

In closing I’d like to thank those who have mentioned their positive experiences here at Pelican Parts and to those who will continue to support our site.

Sincerely,

Eli Sesma
General Manager
Pelican Parts Inc.

Pelican site: www.pelicanparts.com
Pelican boards: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/index.php?s=
FYI, I told Travis directly that this would be "aired" on rennlist, and he kept repeating that he had nothing more to say to me....

You had plenty of opportunity to make this right. One customer at a time, one interaction at a time, every customer should matter. Because its public now, there is all kinds of attention....where was it this morning when I was interacting with your company?!

You shipped the wrong product, and then refused to take it back on a return. It wont be here by her birthday, so I didnt want it anymore. The threat was that if I didnt exchange, and just returned, I would pay shipping both ways and a restock fee of 15%...

Quick Reply: Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts