993 Forum 1995-1998

Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had nothing but excellent service from Pelican Parts but never have had to return an item... Sucks that this happened to you... :-/
Old 01-03-2005, 01:20 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I recently needed to return some items that I found I didn't needed. I haven't sent them back yet, but I spoke to the returns department, and I THINK it was Travis, but I'm not sure. The guy was very helpful, and indeed removed the restocking fee as I stated the reason for my return in original packaging.

I think every distributor is hit and miss - and infact when I have had things on backorder from PP, I have recieved daily emails on the updated process of the part. I have also recieved update emails on the shipping of the parts.

There is a question in the order process as to whether the order should be shipped complete or in pieces - this is for the end user to choose.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Someone who is a regular on Pelican should post a link to this thread. Wayne would want to know. Let's see if he makes it right.

Having owned a couple of small businesses in the past that dealt with higher income individuals (like most of those on these boards) I would rather lose a little money on one customer to make him happy than risk pissing him off and him taking his business and that of his friends elsewhere. Bad press on forums such as these can be a business killer!

Let's hope this gets resolved quickly and amicably!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:36 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two words. Sunset Porsche... they are in Oregon. 15% above wholesale plus shipping. Won't find better pricing anywhere. GREAT service.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:54 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the statement that Pelican should provide an explanation for the issue. I have had terrific experiences with the sponsers I have dealt with in the past. As rennlist members we should always attempt to do business with the site sponsers. As site sponsers, businesses should address member issues to the best of their ability. This is a small community and getting along well is the best way for everyone to have a long and enjoyable relationship.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Alex, you are correct. Really, the head dog at PP should be contacted and made aware of this fellows attitude. If more people were held accountable for their actions, problems like this would be less frequent. It is a serious problem that has seen "customer service" become an oxymoron by todays standards.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been dealing with Wayne and Pelican Parts for almost 8 years now.
I have spent a combined total (between three 911's) of somewhere very close to $26,000 in parts bought over the last 7 1/2 years or so from Pelican Parts.

Mistakes do happen. Just last week I dicsovered a caliper paint kit I had originally ordered, then canceled (20 minutes later) had somehow shipped and my credit card charged. I called them up and talked to Travis or Tom. They simply told me to deny delivery if I caught the UPS guy or to call them and have a return shipping label mailed if UPS dropped it off at the door.
They have taken care of it. I've returned all sorts of things to Pelican Parts in the past and have not had a problem. Many parts simply because I decided I didn't like it or wanted something else.

Let me tell you a little story about Wayne Dempsey.
When I was a single guy, no more than 23 years old I had just about had enough of the electrical problems in my first 911SC. Something in the headlight circuit was frying the turn signal lever. After a month or so of fiddling, and replacing the turn signal switch, TWICE, I finally had the problem narrowed down to two things. Well, the next thing I knew I had fried yet another signal switch (over $100 a pop) and I was just fed up. I was sure I now knew what the problem was but I was ready to just sell the can and be done with it. I was not in a position to be throwing $100 twice a week at a car that wanted to melt the turn signal switch.

Bottom line to all this is Wayne emailed me privately and said he would replace my turn signal switch for free. And he DID, people. The switch I had bought was not defective... there was a short between the headlight relay causing the switch to melt. It was not his fault, but he replaced it for me.
I guess you could say, after that nightmare with the switch, I was transformed from a Pelican supporter to a Pelican Parts Mujahideen.

It is very rare to hear of a complaint about PP. I sincerely hope you will not dubb the organization bad based upon one or two experiences. Plus, with all due respect to Mr. Sullivan, we all know there are always two sides to every story.
I hope you can get your complaint resolved.

Leland E Pate, SA, USAF
Founder, SCWDP
Old 01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I. too. did order stuff from Pelican since they are a Rennlist sponsor and they are only an hour or so (no traffic) away. A few years back, I ordered some stuff which didnt arrive for a few weeks. I called and was told some of the items you ordered are being drop shipped from the east coast. In fact, most of the order was coming from somewhere else. I then thought, why am I ordering from a local place if the goods are not coming from a local place. My thinking was I would get the goods quickly for geographical reasons.

I have met Wayne and he seems to be a good guy. Restocking fees are more prevelant at Pelican Parts lately and it does seem that his original great customer service is slacking. Is PP getting too big too fast? I have seen it happen to other businesses before..

Call Wayne, I am sure he will do what he can to make it right.. At least I would hope so..
Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Leland Pate

I sincerely hope you will not dubb the organization bad based upon one or two experiences.

Plus, with all due respect to Mr. Sullivan, we all know there are always two sides to every story.
How many chances do a first time customer needs to give an established business... its all about FIRST IMPRESSIONS whether a customers (and thousands he or she will relate the experience to) will come back or not.

In most cases true but as a customer there is only one side...the golden rule of retailing "The customer is always right". Because for the lifetime of that customer potential spending... it's not worth the $15 or whatever it is of restocking fee.

Just my .02
Old 01-03-2005, 02:37 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think John or someone should close this thread before a war starts. And it will start
Old 01-03-2005, 02:38 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had nothing but great service from Pelican in the 3+ years I've owned my Targa. Like others, I'd say this was an anomaly, but clearly something went wrong with your order. My guess is that Pelican WILL make it right.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default Pelican Parts

Jonathon,

As “Carrera Mike” had recommended I certainly would also recommended that you made an effort to contact me directly or an other member of the staff before choosing airing out dirty laundry here on the boards.

As recommended by “jrgordonsenior” an apology would be in order if in fact, we were in error which unfortunately wasn’t the case this time.

In all fairness allow me to present the facts: On Sunday December 26, 2004 Jonathon placed an order ON-LINE for the following item. (CUT AND PASTED FROM THE ACTUAL ORDER).

You have sent a request to purchase:

Item Name
WAP-541-000-14-L Porsche Motorsport Parka - Grey w/ Red lining

https://pelicanserver4:1336/shopcart..._pg8.htm#item4

The “L” designation found after the part number WAP-541-000-14 is a drop-down selection which is distinguishes the variation in sizes for this item. YOU CAN SEE THAT THE ORDER CLEARLY INDICATES AN “L” FOR LARGE. The estimated ship date on this particular item was actually January 5, 2005 according to our on-line estimator. We actually shipped this item out 3 business days after the order was placed. “Early”!

We at Pelican Parts do our best to provide our customers the level of support, service and parts that have made us what we are today. We have also sponsored forums (including our own), local shows and have sponsored various charitable organizations around the country. On occasion when we make a mistake on an order we have and will continue to step up to the plate to make things right, it’s just what we do! The policies for restocking we designed to help with the handling involved, which in most cases is more time consuming than the initial order itself. We reviewed dozens of online retailers before revamping our return policy last year.

See return policy: http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OrderingFAQ.htm

Jonathon,

Travis has been with Pelican Parts for some time now and has probably received more letters of phrase through our online survey over any other employee both sales and customer service. It’s very shocking to hear just the opposite here on Rennlist….?

I want to thank you for the $?.?? in business you brought to us this past year and hope you’ll reconsider your position here. I’ve taken this time out of a busy Monday morning so that I could look into and address this issue quickly. As I’ve mentioned many times before to fellow Rennlisters I can be reached directly at eli@pelicanparts.com for ANY reason.

I'd also like to add that we discounted Jonathon's shipping on the replacement order by $10.00 just to help.....

In closing I’d like to thank those who have mentioned their positive experiences here at Pelican Parts and to those who will continue to support our site.

Sincerely,

Eli Sesma
General Manager
Pelican Parts Inc.

Pelican site: www.pelicanparts.com
Pelican boards: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/index.php?s=

Last edited by eli at P; 01-03-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

see what happens
Old 01-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mistakes do happen.
That's for sure.

So if want to make sure you and the person you ordered from are on the same page, you should confirm your order with a follow up email outlining what you ordered, shipping, and the total cost, whether all the items are in stock, whether they will be shipped together and so on.

Yes, that may be a pain but if you aren't sure about the person or company you are dealing with it will definitely clarify the terms of your order should a problem arise. It's been my experience that people are much more careful when the terms are confirmed in writing. I don't alway do this but it sure makes things easier when problems arise and you need to file a dispute with your credit card company.

The last sentence of your confirmation email should go something like this: "If your understanding of the terms of my order in any way differs from what I have outlined herein please email me back right away so my order can be processed."
Old 01-03-2005, 02:46 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always two sides to every story, and Eli very clearly has debunked the original poster's story. I've been doing business with Pelican for a few years now, and have found them to be completely professional and straightforward. If they make a mistake, they fix it, pronto!

They're a class organization....top to bottom.

Quick Reply: Dishonest Business Practices -- Pelican Parts