Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 01:46 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

For anyone considering purchasing from Tramont - be aware that their damage policy requires the recipient to inspect the wheels IN THE PRESENCE OF THE DHL DELIVERY GUY. All four of my barrels have runout that is outside of acceptable specs. Two of the four lips are also bent out of spec. Barrels could theoretically be repaired, but lips need to be replaced since the repair process would damage the anodized finish on the lips.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:57 PM
caffeineninja
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, stories like that are why I never ended up buying from Tramont.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:57 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by acr89
For anyone considering purchasing from Tramont - be aware that their damage policy requires the recipient to inspect the wheels IN THE PRESENCE OF THE DHL DELIVERY GUY. All four of my barrels have runout that is outside of acceptable specs. Two of the four lips are also bent out of spec. Barrels could theoretically be repaired, but lips need to be replaced since the repair process would damage the anodized finish on the lips.
And you know damn well the guy is not going to wait there for us to inspect. When I took delivery of my set back in early 2017, the guy said if you have any damages file a claim. Luckily all of my wheel arrived unscathed. Sorry to hear of this unfortunate turnout.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:22 AM
outrun.
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Got them today. 3" outer on the rear and 1.5" front. After all the stories, I inspected them very carefully. 1 wheel has a very slight imperfection on the outer barrel but it does not look like a drop damage and at least visually I can't see a flat spot. But I guess you only really know once they are on the wheel machine. I will mount them asap as soon as I get the tires.
Anyway, I have to say I am impressed with their delivery time, took 1 week (to Europe) and they do look great...

Last edited by outrun.; 04-01-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:44 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by outrun.
Got them today. 3" outer on the rear and 1.5" front. After all the stories, I inspected them very carefully. 1 wheel has a very slight imperfection on the outer barrel but it does not look like a drop damage and at least visually I can't see a flat spot. But I guess you only really know once they are on the wheel machine. I will mount them asap as soon as I get the tires.
Anyway, I have to say I am impressed with their delivery time, took 1 week (to Europe) and they do look great...

get them spun immediately or expect Tramont to take no responsibility for damage. You might still be SOL since the DHL guy isn’t there anymore mine passed visual inspection, but were all out of whack on the machine. I have videos of the run out measurements.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:12 AM
Astro_Train
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

what size and offset did you go with?

I placed an order through Darin at FD, I plan to take the day off when they are due to arrive. Visual inspection can seem like they are fine, but it is not until they are on wheel balancing machine that will rule if the wheels are straight. I plan to do this right away myself. I will email Christine what their policy is on this as filing a claim with DHL is not something that makes me feel comfortable as they can just deny it.

I hope mine arrive undamaged, but I am getting a bit concerned hearing these stories from different folks here. The way I see it, if the customer discovers they are damaged when you take them to the wheel shop, it is on Tramont to correct it as visual inspection may not indicate this. DHL or any carrier will only take responsibility if the boxes are obviously damage when you take delivery of the wheels, and they can always just blame it on the shipper not properly packaging the wheels.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:41 PM
outrun.
Advanced

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
what size and offset did you go with?

I placed an order through Darin at FD, I plan to take the day off when they are due to arrive. Visual inspection can seem like they are fine, but it is not until they are on wheel balancing machine that will rule if the wheels are straight. I plan to do this right away myself. I will email Christine what their policy is on this as filing a claim with DHL is not something that makes me feel comfortable as they can just deny it.

I hope mine arrive undamaged, but I am getting a bit concerned hearing these stories from different folks here. The way I see it, if the customer discovers they are damaged when you take them to the wheel shop, it is on Tramont to correct it as visual inspection may not indicate this. DHL or any carrier will only take responsibility if the boxes are obviously damage when you take delivery of the wheels, and they can always just blame it on the shipper not properly packaging the wheels.
I'm also quite concerned now...

It's for a widebody: 8.5" ET49 (1.5" outer), 11" ET44 (3" outer). I went with a relatively mild fitment to make sure I'm not limited in tire selection, it's about 3-4mm more ET than the WB recommendation. I'm going to order Michelin PS4S 295/30 and most probably 235/40.
225/40 and 295/30 was standard on 996tt's and that would actually be an almost perfect height match front/rear (I have all wheel drive), so that would be an option too.

Last edited by outrun.; 04-01-2023 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Astro_Train (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 04:48 PM
Astro_Train
Rennlist Member

I'm also quite concerned now...

It's for a widebody: 8.5" ET49 (1.5" outer), 11" ET44 (3" outer). I went with a relatively mild fitment to make sure I'm not limited in tire selection, it's about 3-4mm more ET than the WB recommendation. I'm going to order Michelin PS4S 295/30 and most probably 235/40.
225/40 and 295/30 was standard on 996tt's and that would actually be an almost perfect height match front/rear (I have all wheel drive), so that would be an option too.
Very nice. I currently have 235/40s up front on my current set up. I plan to step down to a 225/40 as it is slightly shorter profile as my ride height is just lower than ROW height and I went with 8.5 +42 for the 2 inch lip up front.

I emailed Christine and explained my concern based on what’s happened to folks that aren’t in Europe. I don’t want anyone (myself included of course) to end up with damaged wheels without them at least fixing the issue with us the customers.
I’ll post once I hear back from her.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:31 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Anyone know if ​​​​​​Tramont has a 17" front fitment that clears big reds? Would a 17x8.5 et 50ish put the wheel center flange & bolts sufficiently away from the calipers to work?
Old 04-03-2023, 07:38 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 219 Likes on 105 Posts

I have 17, they will clear no problem.
Originally Posted by ToSi
Anyone know if ​​​​​​Tramont has a 17" front fitment that clears big reds? Would a 17x8.5 et 50ish put the wheel center flange & bolts sufficiently away from the calipers to work?

ToSi (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 08:34 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 488 Posts

Those don't look like 993 Big Red calipers and rotors to me.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:38 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 219 Likes on 105 Posts

That's correct but I've test fitted them on a 964 RS and they easily cleared.

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Those don't look like 993 Big Red calipers and rotors to me.
ToSi (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:45 PM
Astro_Train
Rennlist Member

I received my wheels today. Ordered them march 16. That was pretty fast.
DHL just left them on my door step. So much for “inspecting them in the presence of the delivery driver”. I took them to my local shop. Will have them placed on tire machine tomorrow to ensure they are good to go. They are definitely pretty.

Last edited by Astro_Train; 04-04-2023 at 05:06 PM.
3point2 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:18 PM
Astro_Train
Rennlist Member

A couple of things. My wheels are thankfully in very good shape after the shop looked at them. See video attached of the one that had a very minor imperfection but the shop told me it will not effect the performance of the wheel nor the way the car drives.

So I spoke to Christine and she said damage in shipping is rare but basically if it happens then we have to go through DHL and file a claim. That did not make me feel too good. Although I’m very relieved that mine were not damaged. Or I’d be pretty pissed if I had to deal with DHL.

I will say that I have purchased many sets of wheels in the past and Tramont’s packaging can improve. The company I compare them to is Rays and BBS Japan. I’ve bought at least half of dozen Volks and 3 sets of BBSs in the past.

I will post pics of the wheels once I get them mounted.

A pic of the rear lip. These are 3” versions, have not seen any NB with them yet.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3419.MOV (2.38 MB, 13 views)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:24 PM
outrun.
Advanced

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
A couple of things. My wheels are thankfully in very good shape after the shop looked at them. See video attached of the one that had a very minor imperfection but the shop told me it will not effect the performance of the wheel nor the way the car drives.

So I spoke to Christine and she said damage in shipping is rare but basically if it happens then we have to go through DHL and file a claim. That did not make me feel too good. Although I’m very relieved that mine were not damaged. Or I’d be pretty pissed if I had to deal with DHL.

I will say that I have purchased many sets of wheels in the past and Tramont’s packaging can improve. The company I compare them to is Rays and BBS Japan. I’ve bought at least half of dozen Volks and 3 sets of BBSs in the past.

I will post pics of the wheels once I get them mounted.

A pic of the rear lip. These are 3” versions, have not seen any NB with them yet.
good to hear you did not have issues. 3" lip on a NB will look great. Mine had just a few sheets of foam plastic and cardboard in between the wheels in the box and that's it.
Astro_Train (04-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy