Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 01:27 PM
solidgranite
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

OP here. Learning a lot, but this thread has developed into quite the debate. Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions around making the best of the break-in period.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:37 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite

OP here. Learning a lot, but this thread has developed into quite the debate. Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions around making the best of the break-in period.
Got it. Enjoy your car brother!
Old 08-29-2024, 02:02 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
I recall reading here they are used as personal cars by instructors/staff for 500 miles and then driven around the track.
As for dealer demos and service loaners, they're similar to any rental cars and should be treated as such by a potential buyer.
We were first owners of a 2019 service loaner CPO and never had a single problem with it.
Can anyone explain why 911s delivered to countries other than the US have different suggested break-in periods. Do those vehicles not have the same engines as US delivery models? Puzzling for sure.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:23 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
We were first owners of a 2019 service loaner CPO and never had a single problem with it.
Glad to hear you haven't had any issues with your vehicle. My comment around service loaners and dealer demos is people at times have less mechanical sympathy and are less likely to let the car warm up before flooring it. I've certainly seen plenty of youtube videos from Sales folks turning a car on and then giving them some revs straight away (you can still hear the cold start) to make a video for a car and there's some level of cringe on my part!
Old 08-29-2024, 02:25 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Looking for a little support and maybe some clever ideas on how you managed the break-in period. Not here to debate whether or not it's necessary (I'm in the camp it's the right thing to do), but rather, how did you keep the RPMs down for so long? At this rate, it's going to take me a year to get her over 1800mi. The car is begging me to go over 4000rpm every single time I drive her.

I work from home and just generally do not drive a ton. Sitting at 219mi on the odometer today. Also, being from Chicago, the Winter will afford me far fewer opportunities to drive her.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! If nothing else, this thread can hopefully help myself and others cope with the champagne problems of owning a Porsche.
I am sure you have gotten lots of good advice already, so if you don't mind one more!
I posted this in the T Thread recently for another good person asking the same question.

I follow what my dad has done which is inspired by a person who does the same in germany, on the 911 R's and cup cars there.
I will note that PEC-Atlanta, PEC-LA, Stuttgart, Leipzig, do not follow any break in procedure.

SO it is up to you, on if you choose to accept or decline this break in procedure.

Most New GT cars where its hard limited in the car. like on the GT models, you have to follow a break in period where you cannot go over a certain rpm for X amount of miles, then it is gone. And you can do what you want.
Always let the engine oil temp get up to 180 before ever letting the rpms go over 4k rpm even after any break in you do.

(I mention this next point so you understand why we do this, and why I think I can speak on it.)
This is what my dad on all of 10 911 over his life has done. the 10 911s include a 996 RUF, 997 GT3RS, 996 CUP, 991 GT3, 992 GT3 and more.
Every 911 he has had before selling all have had over 10k miles on them with no issues on any reported even after they were sold.
The highest being his 2004 GT3 track car. It has never had a problem in its 46k miles.
40000 miles have been driven exclusively on the track. over 20 years.
His GT3RS 991 has 12k miles and 10k of them are track miles, and he did the same thing, no issues.
11300 k miles on GT3 2022
so I trust pops with 20 years of my dad track driving and breaking in new 911's. And the guy on renlist whos job is to break in special 911s

So I did exactly what my pops and him have always done to break in a 911 on my 992 T.
No oil drinking, or burning. No engine issues, no problems whatsoever.

My 992 T now has 26k miles and I have had not a single issue, doing this break in, I think helped it, in all honesty.

Under 300 miles, do not exceed 4000 RPM
Under 425 miles, do not exceed 4500 RPM
Under 550 miles, do not exceed 5000 RPM
Under 675 miles, do not exceed 5500 RPM
Under 800 miles, do not exceed 6000 RPM
Under 925 miles, do not exceed 6500 RPM
Under 1,050 miles, do not exceed 7000 RPM
Under 1,175 miles, do not exceed 7500 RPM
Under 1,300 miles, do not exceed 8000 RPM
Under 1425 miles, do not exceed 8500 RPM

For people who don't like this way here is my explanation in a conversation I have had with many

I ask people; "So you want to break in your 911, and set the rings and gaskets in the engine, and set them for the various rpms you will be driving right?"
They say "yes"
I say "well if you never go above 4k rpms for 1400 miles how are you setting the rings and engine for the raried rpm?"
Insert shocked face here hahaha
Then I ask "How do you plan to set them in for all the various rpm if you never even get to that rpm for a week, months or almost a year of breaking in the car?
I then ask so you think it is fine to be under 4k rpm for 1400 miles then redline it right after 1400 miles?
I get different Reponses to it but none that have satisfactorily refuted my reasoning.

Last edited by Vernin; 08-29-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernin
I am sure you have gotten lots of good advice already, so if you don't mind one more!
I posted this in the T Thread recently for another good person asking the same question.

I follow what my dad has done which is inspired by a person who does the same in germany, on the 911 R's and cup cars there.
I will note that PEC-Atlanta, PEC-LA, Stuttgart, Leipzig, do not follow any break in procedure.

SO it is up to you, on if you choose to accept or decline this break in procedure.

Most New GT cars where its hard limited in the car. like on the GT models, you have to follow a break in period where you cannot go over a certain rpm for X amount of miles, then it is gone. And you can do what you want.
Always let the engine oil temp get up to 180 before ever letting the rpms go over 4k rpm even after any break in you do.

(I mention this next point so you understand why we do this, and why I think I can speak on it.)
This is what my dad on all of 10 911 over his life has done. the 10 911s include a 996 RUF, 997 GT3RS, 996 CUP, 991 GT3, 992 GT3 and more.
Every 911 he has had before selling all have had over 10k miles on them with no issues on any reported even after they were sold.
The highest being his 2004 GT3 track car. It has never had a problem in its 46k miles.
40000 miles have been driven exclusively on the track. over 20 years.
His GT3RS 991 has 12k miles and 10k of them are track miles, and he did the same thing, no issues.
11300 k miles on GT3 2022
so I trust pops with 20 years of my dad track driving and breaking in new 911's. And the guy on renlist whos job is to break in special 911s

So I did exactly what my pops and him have always done to break in a 911 on my 992 T.
No oil drinking, or burning. No engine issues, no problems whatsoever.

My 992 T now has 26k miles and I have had not a single issue, doing this break in, I think helped it, in all honesty.

Under 300 miles, do not exceed 4000 RPM
Under 425 miles, do not exceed 4500 RPM
Under 550 miles, do not exceed 5000 RPM
Under 675 miles, do not exceed 5500 RPM
Under 800 miles, do not exceed 6000 RPM
Under 925 miles, do not exceed 6500 RPM
Under 1,050 miles, do not exceed 7000 RPM
Under 1,175 miles, do not exceed 7500 RPM
Under 1,300 miles, do not exceed 8000 RPM
Under 1425 miles, do not exceed 8500 RPM

For people who don't like this way here is my explanation in a conversation I have had with many

I ask people; "So you want to break in your 911, and set the rings and gaskets in the engine, and set them for the various rpms you will be driving right?"
They say "yes"
I say "well if you never go above 4k rpms for 1400 miles how are you setting the rings and engine for the raried rpm?"
Insert shocked face here hahaha
Then I ask "How do you plan to set them in for all the various rpm if you never even get to that rpm for a week, months or almost a year of breaking in the car?
I then ask so you think it is fine to be under 4k rpm for 1400 miles then redline it right after 1400 miles?
I get different Reponses to it but none that have satisfactorily refuted my reasoning.
What makes you think that rings "set" differently depending on rpm?
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 02:55 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
i followed break-in per the book.

engine blew when i hit 4,001 RPM. i could see the oil blowing past the rings since they didn't seat for that high of an rpm. luckily porsche sent me a new engine that they broke in on the Nordschleife
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 03:03 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

running it at that rpm sets the bearings, the rings the seals the gaskets, all important parts of the engine to better deal with the high stress of the high rpms. As well as clears out all the little bits of impurities and possible metal debris from breaking in an engine, and having all the supper tight tolerances rubbing against other tightly fit components.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:04 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Yee

Last edited by Vernin; 08-29-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:16 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

running it at that rpm sets the bearings, the rings the seals the gaskets, all important parts of the engine to better deal with the high stress of the high rpms. As well as clears out all the little bits of impurities and possible metal debris from breaking in an engine, and having all the supper tight tolerances rubbing against other tightly fit components.
That is a statement, not a reason. What physical phenomenon do you suppose allows high RPM to do this "setting" better than any other RPM?
Old 08-29-2024, 03:17 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loxxrider
That is a statement, not a reason. What physical phenomenon do you suppose allows high RPM to do this "setting" better than any other RPM?
more load on components, more strain. More pressure on all the places that need to be exposed to it
Old 08-29-2024, 03:18 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Crankcase pressure seats rings as Mahle indicates. Rpm down with a closed throttle plate creates negative crankcase pressure which is vacuum by definition as Mahle indicates. So, yes, vacuum seats rings. Mahle has an engine on a dyno monitoring crankcase pressures with a target #. So, follow the process until the gauge reaches the target number. The Mahle procedure you cite is for an engine on a dyno with a cylinder pressure gauge. We do not have that on our cars. So, the Porsche recommendation is varying rpm less than 4k for 1800 miles because we cannot measure our cylinder pressures driving around town.

I realize you want to argue but the science is the science.
Given this free body diagram, how do you explain vacuum seating the rings?

Old 08-29-2024, 03:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

yea all of that is wrong. Lets go through each piece.

1. What does "set" the bearings mean? Bearings are placed into clean saddles in either the mains or the rods and fully seated. When the caps are tightened to spec, the bearings are crushed to create an even clearance. There is nothing to set past assembly. Once running, the crank rides on a film of oil...if it didn't you would quickly damage the bearings.

2. Again...rings don't seal based on a certain rpm. Running at a higher rpm may mean the rings scrape the cylinder walls more times in a given period, but without any load, they aren't doing much "seating". There is nothing magical that happens to rings above 4k vs. below it.

3. Gaskets form a static seal, so rpm here has no impact. Perhaps you'd have a point about a seal, like a crank or cam seal, but those generally size themselves a few revolutions past first start up....so yeah, no.

4. Running at high rpms does nothing more than low rpm to clear out "impurities" (like what???). High vacuum, as in letting off at high rpm, might suck some metal shavings off the cylinder wall, but most of any machining swarf is in the oil, not the combustion chamber. The oil filter keeps that from traveling through the engine, not the level of rpm.

So in other words, not a single thing you said was correct.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:27 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

yea all of that is wrong. Lets go through each piece.

1. What does "set" the bearings mean? Bearings are placed into clean saddles in either the mains or the rods and fully seated. When the caps are tightened to spec, the bearings are crushed to create an even clearance. There is nothing to set past assembly. Once running, the crank rides on a film of oil...if it didn't you would quickly damage the bearings.

2. Again...rings don't seal based on a certain rpm. Running at a higher rpm may mean the rings scrape the cylinder walls more times in a given period, but without any load, they aren't doing much "seating". There is nothing magical that happens to rings above 4k vs. below it.

3. Gaskets form a static seal, so rpm here has no impact. Perhaps you'd have a point about a seal, like a crank or cam seal, but those generally size themselves a few revolutions past first start up....so yeah, no.

4. Running at high rpms does nothing more than low rpm to clear out "impurities" (like what???). High vacuum, as in letting off at high rpm, might suck some metal shavings off the cylinder wall, but most of any machining swarf is in the oil, not the combustion chamber. The oil filter keeps that from traveling through the engine, not the level of rpm.

So in other words, not a single thing you said was correct.
cool, great to know. Our family firmly believes our engines have ran better with a rough break in. Not babying the car like some delicate flower.

Seems my terminology is wrong as well oh well.
thanks for the free education.

my family will keep doing it, we asked a mechanic who was the Porsche mechanic for many races in the early 2000s and he recommended it as well.

So I’ll still trust him over your words

Here is his accomplishments and credibility.

As part of Kent’s role in professional Porsche racing, he worked alongside the top engineers and designers at Porsche’s Research and Development Facility in Weissach Germany. This invaluable experience with the factory’s dedicated racing department, combined with his history of producing reliable, winning cars, has earned him outstanding respect and notoriety in Porsche circles worldwide.

every Porsche we have bought new he recommended we break it in how we did.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS

200424 Hours Of LeMans
GT Class Winner
CAR: Porsche 996 GT3 RSR

200424 Hours Of LeMans
GT Class Pole Winner

200412 Hours Of Sebring
GT Class Third-Place

200324 Hours Of LeMans
GT Class Winner

200324 Hours Of LeMans
GT Class Pole Winner

200312 Hours Of Sebring
GT Class Runner Up

2003ALMS Road America
GT Class Winner

2002Petit LeMans
GT Class Runner Up
CAR: Porsche 996 GT3 RS

200124 Hours Of Daytona
GT Class Winner
Second Overall
CAR: Porsche 996 GT3 RS

2000World Challenge
Three-Time Winner
CAR: Porsche 996 GT3R

100% Finish Rate
In ALMS Races

95% Top-Ten Finish Rate
In ALMS Races

Last edited by Vernin; 08-29-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:33 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Duplicate

Last edited by Vernin; 08-29-2024 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??