Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
this thing wants to live at 5,6k
+1
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by loxxrider
I'm not sticking up for BP here, but that is a wildly inaccurate representation of what happened. They definitely had a BOP. Lots of errors in judgement and miscalculations led to a loss of well control far before the BOP needed to be involved at all. In the end, unfortunately when the BOP did have to be used (5 other things failed before it did), it was incapable of doing it's job due to bad design and other extenuating factors. You can read about it here if you're interested.
http://chrome-extension://efaidnbmnn...sis1.pdf?15262

OK....Boomer.....whatever you say.

11 killed....$65 Billion in damages..... so far -

"On 4 September 2014, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier ruled BP was guilty of gross negligence and willful misconduct by the Clean Water Act (CWA). He described BP's actions as "reckless", while he said Transocean's and Halliburton's actions were "negligent". He apportioned 67% of the blame for the spill to BP, 30% to Transocean, and 3% to Halliburton....On 8 December 2014, The US Supreme Court rejected BP's legal challenge to a compensation deal for the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The settlement agreement had no maximum, but BP initially estimated that it would pay about $7.8bn (£6.1bn) to compensate victims.[68] As of 2018 approximately 390,000 claims for compensations had been filled, and approximately $65bn paid in settlements, thousands of claims were still outstanding."

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM
dg108
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Mile 1876 is like 6'1" for Covid, free and clear.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 554 Posts

Wow, talk about thread creep. While I can appreciate the merits of break-in discussion and oil spills, I'll address the OP's problem. If you have a brand new Porsche and all you can do is look at it then you're doing it wrong. Take a day and go drive it. You should easily be able to put 800 miles on it. Take your car, head out on the Kennedy towards Janesville, get off in South Beloit. Drive towards Argyle. Head north to Richland center and Viroqua. Catch Wildcat mountain and other county double letter roads. Miles of smiles. Then do it all over again. Now you're there.

You could put have of your break in miles in on two days. Can't get away for one day? Find a babysitter, take the wife, make a date of it. She might like it, mine does. We all are/were busy, had small children etc but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Get out of the city, it's soul crushing, especially for a Porsche. So is just letting it sit in your garage. It's September tomorrow. You have 2 months of driving season at best and it is at it's peak coming up. Warm sunny days and less humidity. Take the wife to go look at the fall colors in a month, that's 600 miles right there. It's just a matter of will or excuse making.

People that really want to do things find a way.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; Yesterday at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vern1 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield

"On 4 September 2014, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier ruled BP was guilty of gross negligence and willful misconduct by the Clean Water Act (CWA). He described BP's actions as "reckless", while he said Transocean's and Halliburton's actions were "negligent". He apportioned 67% of the blame for the spill to BP, 30% to Transocean, and 3% to Halliburton....On 8 December 2014, The US Supreme Court rejected BP's legal challenge to a compensation deal for the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The settlement agreement had no maximum, but BP initially estimated that it would pay about $7.8bn (£6.1bn) to compensate victims.[68] As of 2018 approximately 390,000 claims for compensations had been filled, and approximately $65bn paid in settlements, thousands of claims were still outstanding."
"OK..Boomer"? You mad Dude?
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
"OK..Boomer"? You mad Dude?
Every time I read an “ok, boomer” comment I picture this dorky little dweeb frantically hammering away on his keyboard in an attempt to get back at the big bad world for his inadequacies. It’s funny and sad at the same time.
The following 3 users liked this post by Onami:
Butzi (Yesterday), Hunky (Yesterday), loxxrider (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield

I'm far from a boomer (35 years old), and what does that have to do with it anyway?

I clearly stated that I'm not defending BP. My words were all factual (unlike yours) and only intended to stop the spread of misinformation that BP wasn't using a BOP. If you knew the first thing about well construction, you'd know that it's not even possible to drill a well without one. Literally NO ONE does that. Of course BP is at fault. Of course there was substantial negligence by multiple parties. Nothing excuses this.

But we are losing grip on what is fact and what is not because of people like you spreading falsities haphazardly. Sorry if you don't like it, but I will not stand by and watch reality deteriorate without doing my part to reverse the trend whenever a statement is so blatantly non-factual.

Now can we get back to discussing facts, data, and first hand experiences about break in?
vern1 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Joel991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Looking for a little support and maybe some clever ideas on how you managed the break-in period. Not here to debate whether or not it's necessary (I'm in the camp it's the right thing to do), but rather, how did you keep the RPMs down for so long? At this rate, it's going to take me a year to get her over 1800mi. The car is begging me to go over 4000rpm every single time I drive her.

I work from home and just generally do not drive a ton. Sitting at 219mi on the odometer today. Also, being from Chicago, the Winter will afford me far fewer opportunities to drive her.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! If nothing else, this thread can hopefully help myself and others cope with the champagne problems of owning a Porsche.
In June I took delivery of my 5th Porsche (4th 911) over the last 20 years, each were manual trans. These are weekend, nice weather cars for me so I also have low mileage. It’s 2 months old and I have about 250 miles on it.

The answer to your question, in my mind is to drive it easy and just enjoy it! 4000 RPM gives me plenty of power range.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 322 Posts

Lotsa small pp energy in this thread.

I think the OP got his answer.

Can we close this down and delete?
thedak (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,453 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Every time I read an “ok, boomer” comment I picture this dorky little dweeb frantically hammering away on his keyboard in an attempt to get back at the big bad world for his inadequacies. It’s funny and sad at the same time.
That's how we know you're a boomer though. Offended over nothing 🤣
jstap808 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
You nailed that one. Angry boomer haters with their ***** busted over all the jokes about participation trophies. Losers for sure. LOL

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??