Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 01:03 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Looking for a little support and maybe some clever ideas on how you managed the break-in period. Not here to debate whether or not it's necessary (I'm in the camp it's the right thing to do), but rather, how did you keep the RPMs down for so long? At this rate, it's going to take me a year to get her over 1800mi. The car is begging me to go over 4000rpm every single time I drive her.

I work from home and just generally do not drive a ton. Sitting at 219mi on the odometer today. Also, being from Chicago, the Winter will afford me far fewer opportunities to drive her.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! If nothing else, this thread can hopefully help myself and others cope with the champagne problems of owning a Porsche.

So, looking at OP's original ask again, it seems only a few actually gave some pointers. The rest just got into the 'I know better than you' contest.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
Icegrill (08-28-2024), solidgranite (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 04:21 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 971 Likes on 457 Posts

I’ve been taking easy up to 1000 miles with a few 5-6k pulls. Seems pretty appropriate. Isn’t the manual 1800KM? Can’t find the passage right now.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:09 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RatherJaded
I am not going to lie, but the 1,875 miles is a rather difficult struggle and even after that is accomplished it is highly suggested that you gradually work your way up to redline. 🤦‍♂️

I always felt that the 1200 miles via BMW wasn’t that bad, but those nearly 1900 miles are a nightmare.
BMW used to use break in fluids for all of their cars. I had a 1989 535 that needed a change in fluids at the 1200 mile mark. I also had a 2016 M4 that needed the same thing. I wish all top manufacturers still used these break in fluids to clean out all of the metal bits that come from breaking in a new sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (08-29-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 10:11 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
I’ve been taking easy up to 1000 miles with a few 5-6k pulls. Seems pretty appropriate. Isn’t the manual 1800KM? Can’t find the passage right now.

Ikone (08-28-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 08:37 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Vacuum pushes the rings against the cylinder wall? Say what?
Yep….negative crankcase pressure (aka vacuum) seats piston rings. Race engine builders attach a separate vacuum pump run by belt piped to crankcase to do it quickly while tuning the race engine on a dyno. Research it. But it is your car. Drive it however you want.

Last edited by Fullyield; 08-29-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:41 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Are the new Porsches used by the various Porsche Experience locations gingerly "broken-in" per the owners manual for US cars(varies by country) for this critical 1850 miles before being used as track beaters and ultimately sold off to the public? Are dealer service loaners and demonstrators treated to this same low rpm honeymoon period?
https://www.porschedriving.com/
Old 08-29-2024, 10:33 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Are the new Porsches used by the various Porsche Experience locations gingerly "broken-in" per the owners manual for US cars(varies by country) for this critical 1850 miles before being used as track beaters and ultimately sold off to the public? Are dealer service loaners and demonstrators treated to this same low rpm honeymoon period?
https://www.porschedriving.com/
I recall reading here they are used as personal cars by instructors/staff for 500 miles and then driven around the track.
As for dealer demos and service loaners, they're similar to any rental cars and should be treated as such by a potential buyer.
Fullyield (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 10:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Yep….negative crankcase pressure (aka vacuum) seats piston rings. Race engine builders attach a separate vacuum pump run by belt piped to crankcase to do it quickly while tuning the race engine on a dyno. Research it. But it is your car. Drive it however you want.
not quite. Cylinder pressure is what pushes the ring against the cylinder wall. Race engines, particularly drag race cars that run vacuum pumps, have very wide ring gaps which result in blow-by, which creates ring flutter and actually causes the ring to actually tilt on its edge.

This is generally not an issue on street engines.

The combination of cylinder pressure and max vacuum while engine braking is what will seal the rings during break in. And that can happen very quickly.

Old 08-29-2024, 11:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Mahle

https://www.us.mahle.com/media/usa/m...cedure-web.pdf

some key points:

Once all checks are performed and the engine has no issues detected, the engine should be ran under a load to properly seat the rings. Loading the engine increases the cylinder pressure and forces the rings into the bore to help the seating process.

Using part throttle, apply varying loads and rpm. Avoid using heavy throttle / acceleration and high rpm.

Street Vehicle: This should be accomplished over a short 20-30 min drive.

Next, start at 25% of the max rpm with light throttle and accelerate at wide open throttle to 75% of max rpm. Then engine brake with the throttle closed, back to 25% max rpm. Repeat this 5-6 times.

If equipped, it is recommended to remove the vacuum pump belt or hose connection to the engine. Increased crankcase vacuum reduces the oil in suspension inside the crankcase and reduces “splash” lubrication

Double check to ensure no issues have arisen and change oil and filter again.
Run as engine build was intended

Last edited by Quadcammer; 08-29-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Because the break in procedure is not designed to “wear in” the piston rings unlike rod bearings. Break in is to SEAT or push the rings out against the cylinder walls for maximum compression (which is maximum power) and no oil consumption. There is little if any wear involved this early in the life if the ring. .
The more I read the more wrong you are.

So break in "wears in" the rod bearings? uhh...what? They are covered in assembly lube for the first start up and have an oil film shortly thereafter. There is no wearing in of bearings on modern engines nor is there any "setting of the clearance." Bearing clearance is set at assembly and remains constant until they wear from cold starts, oil starvation, FOD, etc

Wear of the ring is EXACTLY what happens during break in. The rough crosshatch pattern (or modern surface finishes) are honed to a rough finish precisely to wear the rings to cylinder wall to maximize ring seal.
loxxrider (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 11:56 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

not quite. Cylinder pressure is what pushes the ring against the cylinder wall. Race engines, particularly drag race cars that run vacuum pumps, have very wide ring gaps which result in blow-by, which creates ring flutter and actually causes the ring to actually tilt on its edge.

This is generally not an issue on street engines.

The combination of cylinder pressure and max vacuum while engine braking is what will seal the rings during break in. And that can happen very quickly.
Agree. We are saying the same thing and also what Mahl is saying......just using different words. Pressure up and negative pressure down. As Mahl indicates , the race engine builders use a measuring system so they know exactly when it happens.....which we do not have on the street. The formula is the same. varying rpm up and down to seat rings. Avoid a constant rpm until rings seated. What everyone here is arguing about is how many rpm and how many miles but I think everyone agrees with you on the basic process.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:57 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 308 Posts

The manual says to "avoid" exceeding 4000 RPM during break-in, it doesn't say that you "shall not" exceed 4000 RPM. Given how different continents have different break-in periods (or so I've read on here), I think it's safe to assume that nothing magical happens at 1875 miles (3000KM) that suddenly makes it ok to redline. Use your judgment and don't drive it like you stole it right out of the gate,
The following 3 users liked this post by breny4104:
Butzi (08-29-2024), Fullyield (08-29-2024), Vernin (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 11:59 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

The more I read the more wrong you are.

So break in "wears in" the rod bearings? uhh...what? They are covered in assembly lube for the first start up and have an oil film shortly thereafter. There is no wearing in of bearings on modern engines nor is there any "setting of the clearance." Bearing clearance is set at assembly and remains constant until they wear from cold starts, oil starvation, FOD, etc

Wear of the ring is EXACTLY what happens during break in. The rough crosshatch pattern (or modern surface finishes) are honed to a rough finish precisely to wear the rings to cylinder wall to maximize ring seal.
Again, the varying rpm is to seat the rings, not because of wear. While everything breaks in , there is little wear to rings in the first 1800 miles compared to main and rod bearings which are sloughing off iron, copper, nickel, etc. Those high hard metals counts you see in first UOA is not from the piston rings. It is from the bearings and copper in the oil coolers (if copper) too.

Last edited by Fullyield; 08-29-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Agree. We are saying the same thing and also what Mahl is saying......just using different words. Pressure up and negative pressure down. As Mahl indicates , the race engine builders use a measuring system so they know exactly when it happens.....which we do not have on the street. The formula is the same. varying rpm up and down to seat rings. Avoid a constant rpm until rings seated. What everyone here is arguing about is how many rpm and how many miles but I think everyone agrees with you on the basic process.
wow, I haven't seen backpedaling that hard in a while. You specifically said that vacuum seats the rings....which it most certainly does not.

As to the distance...the mahle document is clear that after 30 minutes of regular driving and 6 specific pulls, the rings are seated.
Old 08-29-2024, 12:19 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

wow, I haven't seen backpedaling that hard in a while. You specifically said that vacuum seats the rings....which it most certainly does not.

As to the distance...the mahle document is clear that after 30 minutes of regular driving and 6 specific pulls, the rings are seated.
Crankcase pressure seats rings as Mahle indicates. Rpm down with a closed throttle plate creates negative crankcase pressure which is vacuum by definition as Mahle indicates. So, yes, vacuum seats rings. Mahle has an engine on a dyno monitoring crankcase pressures with a target #. So, follow the process until the gauge reaches the target number. The Mahle procedure you cite is for an engine on a dyno with a cylinder pressure gauge. We do not have that on our cars. So, the Porsche recommendation is varying rpm less than 4k for 1800 miles because we cannot measure our cylinder pressures driving around town.

I realize you want to argue but the science is the science.

Last edited by Fullyield; 08-29-2024 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??