Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 07:05 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,978 Likes on 802 Posts

I think it's safe to say that much of the discussions and theories on what's proper break in and potential adverse effects of improper break in is just speculation as no one has yet to publish any objective studies comparing cars that are broken in properly and cars that are broken in hard and compared the power and longevity of each group of cars over 5+ years and 10K, 50K, 100K+ miles. Or did the same comparisons then had the engines torn down and measured for excessive engine wear, abnormal tolerances, etc.

I don't think even the people who actually designed these motors know whether a car that is redlined starting at 500 miles is worse off than a car that is redlined begining after 1000 miles or 1800 miles because none of them have conducted any objective comparison tests themselves. If these tests exists, I would appreciate if someone can share the results.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Fullyield (Yesterday), Vernin (08-30-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 07:17 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I think it's safe to say that much of the discussions and theories on what's proper break in and potential adverse effects of improper break in is just speculation as no one has yet to publish any objective studies comparing cars that are broken in properly and cars that are broken in hard and compared the power and longevity of each group of cars over 5+ years and 10K, 50K, 100K+ miles. Or did the same comparisons then had the engines torn down and measured for excessive engine wear, abnormal tolerances, etc.

I don't think even the people who actually designed these motors know whether a car that is redlined starting at 500 miles is worse off than a car that is redlined begining after 1000 miles or 1800 miles because none of them have conducted any objective comparison tests themselves. If these tests exists, I would appreciate if someone can share the results.
The engineers probably had the same back and forth we are having here and someone finally stood up and said, "fkcu it, let's make it 3000km." And they were so tired that they all just gave in and said "sure." I work in civil engineering and that's how we wind up deciding stuff most of the time.
The following 3 users liked this post by breny4104:
dg108 (08-30-2024), Fullyield (Yesterday), Icegrill (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 09:01 PM
Newbie T
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Likely because despite all the thousands of collective hours spent arguing about this, it likely doesn't matter all that much. Rings will still seal even with a soft break-in and the potential differences would likely fall under what is measurable in a dyno on a street car.

So at the end of the day, spend your 1800 miles tortured by your self imposed 4k rpm restriction while others enjoy their car. 1800 miles is probably the average yearly miles for a lot of 911s, so its sad that many owners will go a year without getting to truly enjoy their cars.
Don't disagree with your perspective. However, I suspect some of us, myself included, are more risk adverse, that is, we will think "what if"... What if I didn't do the break-in properly which might lead to an issue 5 or 10 years later? Of course, some of us will sale or upgrade later on, but I would like to keep mine for a long time and drive it like one of those classic P cars one day (also not rich enough to keep changing cars every few years).

Each to their own, but there isn't any real downside in doing the break-in properly, to your point about the duration and enjoyment, for me, i would say waiting for the allocation/shipment/delivery/PPF jail which took all up 11 months of waiting for me, was way more painful than having the car and doing break-in properly for say 11 months.

Old 08-29-2024, 09:37 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 123 Posts

Sure that bridge should withstand a tanker ramming into it, f it I’m sick of doing maths anyway, let’s go get some beer boys
Old 08-29-2024, 09:44 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 55 Posts

Some of you should never buy used.
You will not sleep well not knowing if the break-in protocols were followed or not...

Beer sounds like a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
thedak (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 11:45 PM
Michael T
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

The best engine break-in video I have seen. Sixteen minutes long. Mentioned above.

The following 3 users liked this post by Michael T:
Fullyield (Yesterday), J Irwan (08-30-2024), jpgallo (Yesterday)
Old 08-30-2024, 12:30 AM
r4mi5awi
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I can only speak for CDN market. Aside from Porsche recommended mileage at 3000 km. Both Porsche genius at my local dealership on delivery date and my SA recommended first 1500 km to keep at <4000 RPM. Both times they told me that without asking.

Personally I did a hybrid of 1500 km and increased RPMs by 500 every 250 km, kinda like the AP suggested method. After about 2250 km, I let her rip. No ragrets! 😛

Last edited by r4mi5awi; 08-30-2024 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:39 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by r4mi5awi
No ragrets! 😛
Absolutely timeless!!
Old 08-30-2024, 11:17 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

I agree AlterZgo. And since they do not know they use a conservative estimate in line with other mechanical systems (transaxle, transmission, chassis) as Mike 818 has previously noted. And even if such a study did exist, how do you prove causation?????. Piston ring seating = compression = power. So if your car runs 0 - 60 mph in less than 4 seconds you most likely do not have a piston ring issue because you are making expected power.. Move on. But if your car lacks power (0 to 60mph times substantially greater than spec) or you are consuming oil through the cylinder(s), you should investigate further. What do you use as a first step????...........a vacuum gauge which measures negative cylinder pressure created by sealed piston rings among other things. If piston rings are not sealed , the vacuum spec is substantially below standard. This is a fairly easy test but is not definitive as to causation, unfortunately.. Though not definitive, it will point you in the right direction and allows you to rule out other potential causes. See attached Holley YouTube video discussing piston rings at the end.. If you still suspect a piston ring issue after using the vacuum gauge to eliminate possible causes, the next step is a compression test which is a admittedly a major PITA unless you are changing your spark plugs anyway. That is the reason compression tests should be a part of every PPI...(as well as a borescope following a failed compression test).. If you DIY your spark plug changes, consider doing a DIY compression test (if you suspect a problem) as it is little extra work at that time. Note: you should not start the engine before immediately changing your oil AFTER a compression test. If a compression test shows low compression on any particular cylinder, then a borescope of that cylinder is your next step as the issue may be caused by bore scoring and not piston rings (especially in the 986/996 and 987/997). .

Old 08-30-2024, 11:25 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
Sure that bridge should withstand a tanker ramming into it, f it I’m sick of doing maths anyway, let’s go get some beer boys
+1 Titanic Engineer - Our ship can not be sunk!
Exxon Valdez Captain - An iceberg cannot puncture my hull.
British Petroleum Deep Water Horizon Manager - We don't need a blow out preventer!
Boeing software engineer - Our software alone can never make our 737 Max stall and crash!
VW and Porsche - We would never cheat on our emissions tests!
Old 08-30-2024, 11:36 AM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
The best engine break-in video I have seen. Sixteen minutes long. Mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg6xa2caG-I

I've watched this before. A lot of good points

The following 2 users liked this post by J Irwan:
Fullyield (Yesterday), Vernin (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 11:55 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi
Some of you should never buy used.
You will not sleep well not knowing if the break-in protocols were followed or not...

Beer sounds like a good idea.
Yeah agree 100% and a big news flash for the break-in Karens, chances that the used 911 you bought or are considering was "broken-in" strictly by the absurd 1,875 mile suggestion is is extremely low verging on zero.
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 11:58 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Yeah agree 100% and a big news flash for the break-in Karens, chances that the used 911 you bought or are considering was "broken-in" strictly by the absurd 1,875 mile suggestion is is extremely low verging on zero.
Who buys used? 🤣

Kidding!
The following 2 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
Hunky (08-30-2024), Vernin (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:21 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
British Petroleum Deep Water Horizon Manager - We don't need a blow out preventer!
I'm not sticking up for BP here, but that is a wildly inaccurate representation of what happened. They definitely had a BOP. Lots of errors in judgement and miscalculations led to a loss of well control far before the BOP needed to be involved at all. In the end, unfortunately when the BOP did have to be used (5 other things failed before it did), it was incapable of doing it's job due to bad design and other extenuating factors. You can read about it here if you're interested.
http://chrome-extension://efaidnbmnn...sis1.pdf?15262

It's not really relevant to break-in, except that misinformation is rampant in both cases.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:00 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 123 Posts

Is it even possible to stay below 4K rpm when accelerating onto a highway or trying to get past traffic in certain lanes? 4k bit the dust almost ASAP, this thing wants to live at 5,6k

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??