Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 10:32 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 571 Posts

Timely thread for me! I picked my car up last week and have just 300 km on it as it isn't my work vehicle. Staying below 4,000 rpm is killing me...so, I'm going to drive it as much as possible over the next few weekends to get the KMs up ASAP!
The following users liked this post:
solidgranite (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 11:20 AM
zscaler
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Break-in period? What is that?
I haven't followed it on any 911 I owned since 996 era. And I owned every generation. Of course I don't put 100K miles on them before I trade them or sell for the new generation, but highest mileage I have driven one was the 997 at 50K or so miles, no issues with the engine. Had the clutch replaced under warranty and also water coolant hose that broke under warranty. All the vehicles have been well. Most were taken to track within 2 months of ownership and seen quite a bit of track time every year as well.
dg108 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 11:36 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
I am of Germanic descent on both sides of what can be described as a family of engineers and can tell you that they would be be the first owners to question and disregard the ridiculous suggestion of an 1,800 mile break-in.
Best advice is to purchase a Porsche that is slated for demonstrators, PCNA beaters, or service loaners. I've heard that they all have special engines and running gear that does not require any break in what so ever.
It is your car. Do as you please. Plenty of people make decisions based on internet rumor and hearsay or what there uncle max said. But, there is an engineering science involved. Your money; your call. No one cares.
14turbo S (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 12:39 PM
zanary
Pro

Received 698 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Also, being from Chicago, the Winter will afford me far fewer opportunities to drive her. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
This should help you with your Winter problem and thus your low milage per year and break-in problem.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...020tchwws.html
Old 08-27-2024, 12:41 PM
solidgranite
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zanary
This should help you with your Winter problem and thus your low milage per year and break-in problem.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...020tchwws.html
Touché! It's under strong consideration for sure.
zanary (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:10 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 408 Posts

C’mon…if you didn’t grow up in Chicago then you don’t understand the humor here. Anyone worried about the engine revs is a non issue if you’re stuck on Chicago freeways.

The “recommendation” for nice drives out of the city was mentioned.

Being from AZ I’m sure you can understand. You’re not going anywhere fast around Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, etc. When I lived there it was a pleasure to see the plethora of exotic rides idling and revving up and down the blvd.

Obviously the real joy from these cars is experienced when getting out and enjoying the open road.

Originally Posted by Fishah
Idling in traffic for 1800 miles has to be one of the worst possible ways to break in an engine.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:17 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,137 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
All the automotive engineers that understand the science behind the reasons for the break in period.
Lol. Engineers don't write the break in recommendations. Lawyers do.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
Hunky (08-27-2024), loxxrider (08-27-2024), Timmy1 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:20 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 193 Posts

xpost from a similar thread:

I find it interesting that people seem to think that break in is only about the engine. There are plenty of other things that need breaking in. For example I have never bought a clutch, transmission, or tires that didn't come with a break in period from the MFG. So unless you are experienced enough with every system in the car to ignore the recommendations, it might be wise to just follow what the people who are (Porsche) recommend.

Or don't, it's your stuff, neglect it at your pleasure. I will point out that OEM's have been crawling social media looking for excuses to void warranty claims for a long time, so proudly proclaiming you are not following instructions might be a self own down the line.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:38 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Lol. Engineers don't write the break in recommendations. Lawyers do.
I'd bet strong money on that statement. I have heard and read this many times.
It is hard for some to accept the fact that we do not all follow the Pied Piper.

Tupper (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 03:00 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
All the automotive engineers that understand the science behind the reasons for the break in period.
This couldn't be more misguided. People who truly understand mechanical systems would be the first to question this kind of blanket break-in advice. There are so many variables that aren't considered by this single-rule-based approach to break-in, that it'd be irresponsible for any good mechanical/aerospace engineer like myself NOT to question it.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:39 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
I'd bet strong money on that statement. I have heard and read this many times.
It is hard for some to accept the fact that we do not all follow the Pied Piper.
The problem with break in recommendations is that they are expert opinions, but nobody has ever conducted a rigorous study to determine if they make a difference in reliability or not. It’s all just anecdotal
Old 08-27-2024, 04:13 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 193 Posts

It's pretty wild to claim Porsche just pulled those numbers out of thin air. Just because you don't know why/how doesn't mean there isn't solid logic behind it. Even if lawyers / bean counters came up with it, it would still be based on some statistical analysis of actual data. Warranty claims = broken stuff, so to say it's to reduce claims isn't really invalidating anything. I don't want my stuff to break either.
14turbo S (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 04:32 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,137 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
It's pretty wild to claim Porsche just pulled those numbers out of thin air. Just because you don't know why/how doesn't mean there isn't solid logic behind it. Even if lawyers / bean counters came up with it, it would still be based on some statistical analysis of actual data. Warranty claims = broken stuff, so to say it's to reduce claims isn't really invalidating anything. I don't want my stuff to break either.
It's called liability and it comes with a huge margin of error. Something so ridiculous it practically guarantees that no matter how much of a bonehead the driver might be, the car will be fine provided he follows what they manual specifies. It has all of zero to do with the purpose of break-in, which is first and foremost to bed the piston rings. There is a proper method of ensuring the piston rings properly seal and that should ideally be done in the first 100 mi. You are correct in that there are other components like tires, brakes, clutch, and exhaust that need to be considered in the break in phase. None of them require anything special. Just don't outright abuse the car in the fist 200 mi and you're golden.
loxxrider (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 04:34 PM
14turbo S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Break in period, Listen to anecdotal stories, or Porsche engineers? Hmm
The following 2 users liked this post by 14turbo S:
Fullyield (08-27-2024), Ikone (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 04:46 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
No one is claiming the numbers came out of thin air. I'm suggesting that the numbers of 4000 RPM and 1850 miles (or whatever it is) are gross oversimplifications of the actual break-in requirements. Why would one choose to do this? Absolutely to reduce cost to Porsche of time-bound things (like warranties and wheel/tire protection packages) which are not also mileage-bound for most owners. Why else? To put it quite simply, consumers can understand and comply with this single instruction much more easily than they can comply with more specific instructions specifying certain RPMs and engine loading conditions at certain mileage milestones.

So saying Porsche's consumer break-in instructions are overly conservative is not a wild claim. It simply comes from having a good understanding of the mechanical principles at work and also of the end users' willingness and/or ability to digest and properly utilize certain information. It's a great compromise that I would make if I were leading the show at Porsche or any other manufacturer, but it doesn't mean that it's actually necessary for the reasons you might think it is.

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??