Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 - Well optioned base or poverty spec GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 05:52 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Let's be real, you can't really rev out a base to redline on the street, either.

No one needs more power than the C2 offers, but clearly there is a large market that still wants it.
I agree with this too and it's why I passed on the base car . I had my heart set on the GTS . I dont regret selling my last one . I am greatly disappointed that this one didnt ring my bell on its first impression . If I didnt have a 911 to drive I would buy my old car back b ut I was ready to move on from it . L:erts see what the GT and Turbo cars have . The Base Turbo is rumored to offer a RWD and manual option so maybe Porsche wil ldistinguish a hybrid and non hybrid version . I can wait .
Old 06-14-2024, 06:06 PM
autozero
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wujax
Ok that's a fair thesis to debate. "What gets measured gets managed". The foremost metrics provided around a car are always a picture of the car, it's price, how much HP it has, and it's 0-60 time. These are the metrics that motorjournalism have popularized in the sports car. So now the consumer basically has a clear summary drawn for them. How much does it cost, and how fast is it for how much it costs. And as you read more in depth about the car, sure, you can get more nuanced. But those numbers are always the first and foremost, and is the reason why those are the numbers that you will always see generation over generation increase on. Unfortunately, we don't have a metric that describes the intangibles, for that we just have the read the whole article. But you see how the whole industry has now centered around all of this, and it has become very difficult to separate the value of a sports car from those numbers.

SHOULD we be focused on that? In that case, I agree we should not. But unfortunately hedonic adaptation is a thing. You always feel it, you feel the acceleration of a slightly faster car than yours and you then will probably want it. It takes a lot of discipline to draw the at the C2 and say this is enough. Power itself, especially as it becomes more effortless, is intoxicating and there really is no end to it. That's why tuners make 1000hp cars all the time. And that illustrates what would happen in the opposite case. Stepping into a tangibly slower car can be incredibly demoralizing. What I used to think was fine, my E90 335i, I now feel as severely deficient. My hedonic adaptation has already adjusted to the performance characteristics of a 992 and is now my new normal. There are plenty of people who think a 300hp 335i is enough for anybody. To walk in to a showroom and test drive your same model car but down in horsepower can easily be a deal breaker on the emotional side alone. Imagine millions of customers, on the edge of choosing to buy a car, only to be swayed by the feeling of "is it better". It's why people here often keep jumping up trims. So then the only choice is the new generation of car needs to be a step up from the previous, otherwise you would never get your existing customer base to upgrade.
Personally, I love this debate. My counterpoints would be:

1) I'm not suggesting that the new version should have less horsepower. I am suggesting Porsche doesn't need to invest resources/R&D into making the ICE engine that much faster and they'll still sell more than the previous version.
2) My examples to prove #1 are that the 992 GT3 had the exact same engine/hp as the 991.2 GT3, yet Porsche is selling them like hotcakes. The GT3RS hp is barely any more than the GT3 yet ppl are happy to pay $100k more than the GT3.

TL : DR: Increased horsepower/faster engine is not the primary reason why people buy the newer version. That's not to say it doesn't matter at all or doesn't matter a lot to some. However, my assertion is that Porsche should focus their R&D efforts in developing other components that lead to a richer driving experience and focus less on 0-60 times (assuming it's not slower than the previous version).

BTW my 911 is my daily for reference. I have much faster cars in my stable and tbh with you, my reasons for owning and keeping them have very little to do with how fast they are (though having the ability to blow past people on the track is nice).

Last edited by autozero; 06-14-2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:26 PM
wujax
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero

1) I'm not suggesting that the new version should have less horsepower. I am suggesting Porsche doesn't need to invest resources/R&D into making the ICE engine that much faster and they'll still sell more than the previous version.
2) My examples to prove #1 are that the 992 GT3 had the exact same engine/hp as the 991.2 GT3, yet Porsche is selling them like hotcakes. The GT3RS hp is barely any more than the GT3 yet ppl are happy to pay $100k more than the GT3.

TL : DR: Increased horsepower/faster engine is not the primary reason why people buy the newer version. That's not to say it doesn't matter at all or doesn't matter a lot to some. However, my assertion is that Porsche should focus their R&D efforts in developing other components that lead to a richer driving experience and focus less on 0-60 times (assuming it's not slower than the previous version).

BTW my 911 is my daily for reference. I have much faster cars in my stable and tbh with you, my reasons for owning and keeping them have very little to do with how fast they are (though having the ability to blow past people on the track is nice).
I don't think any supply restricted models should be used to represent sales success as their market value is distorted. My suspicion is if you let as many of these into the market as standard run models that the sales numbers would not be as high as you think. They'd be strong but more like a niche line. They are awesome cars but I don't think such extreme high revving cars with big wings are for everybody.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:19 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 873 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
The pushback you are getting is because they hate dissent . I agree with you that so far there is no talk about the visceral aspects of the new car . faster may not be fun (IE .. the 718 4 cylinder that failed and is now vanished ) . There are some like me who agree that driving enjoyment is a huge factor of buying a sports car but the guy who only cares about the new shiny object wont hear it . He is blind to it .
That's because no one outside of Porsche has been allowed to drive one and really talk about it yet.

Ironic coming from a guy who buys and sells back Porsches every year.

Last edited by rasetsu; 06-14-2024 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:33 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
That's because no one outside of Porsche has been allowed to drive one and talk about it yet.

Ironic coming from a guy who buys and sells back Porsches every year.
Outside of questioning how it might drive no one has commented positive or negative . In one video the exhaust note does sound weak but thats no indication. either .

The risk is in the maintenance potential (especially long term ) , the price increases , and not knowing the rest of the lineup yet .

The ad hominem attacks instead of discussing of the topic reveals more about a weak argument and frustration.

If you dont agree with me thats fine but it would help to keep to the topic .

Old 06-14-2024, 07:37 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

I actually agree with your emotional feelings about not needing to focus on 0-60 and I believe the obsession with 'Ring times is overly played. I also accept the reality that Porsche is under pressure to increase the numbers, whether it be lap time numbers or engine output numbers, if they expect to compete in the $150K price range of sports cars. The GT3 RS puts up crazy lap times through extensive aerodynamics plus it's exclusivity is what drives sales. Again, I want to point out that Porsche did invest resources and R&D into the .2 base to ensure it's performance numbers are not worse than before while being emissions compliant going into the next several years.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:46 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I actually agree with your emotional feelings about not needing to focus on 0-60 and I believe the obsession with 'Ring times is overly played. I also accept the reality that Porsche is under pressure to increase the numbers, whether it be lap time numbers or engine output numbers, if they expect to compete in the $150K price range of sports cars. The GT3 RS puts up crazy lap times through extensive aerodynamics plus its exclusivity is what drives sales. Again, I want to point out that Porsche did invest resources and R&D into the .2 base to ensure it's performance numbers are not worse than before while being emissions compliant going into the next several years.
Aerodynamics and tire technology played a huge role in the new car lap time . I recall somewhere on this forum the driver of the .1 was interviewed and complained about the Goodyear Tires claiming a potential 7 min 10 sec possibility on better rubber , Someone may have the article ,It was posted here .
Old 06-14-2024, 07:57 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Outside of questioning how it might drive no one has commented positive or negative . In one video the exhaust note does sound weak but thats no indication. either .

The risk is in the maintenance potential (especially long term ) , the price increases , and not knowing the rest of the lineup yet .

The ad hominem attacks instead of discussing of the topic reveals more about a weak argument and frustration.

If you dont agree with me thats fine but it would help to keep to the topic .
What's the topic? OP asked base or GTS. Perhaps you're the one who should stay on topic. But here you are making a comment inferring that you are a better person because you appreciate driving experience over shiny new things as if the two are mutually exclusive when you yourself buy and sell new Porsches every year. We all get it that you don't like the new GTS even though all indications for months have been that the car will be hybridized.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:00 PM
autozero
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

The innovation I'm most looking forward to with the 992.2:

The return of physical homelink buttons.
The following users liked this post:
wujax (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:08 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

This is a really interesting thread, not so much because of the original topic, but because it shows the wide diversity of views about what the 911 means to different drivers. I'm an old school guy and have had many 911's starting with a basic 911SC Targa in 1980. I have always chased horsepower, road feel, and grunt. I would have never considered buying a base when a model like the GTS was offered.This new model changes the game for me. For one thing, the pricing at around $200K, is crazy and the move away from the traditional car design is huge. I'm sure a much younger generation of buyers will love the new GTS, jump all over it, and load them up with big $$$ of slick and pretty options. But for me, if I buy a new 911, I will most likely get a base model, hopefully a manual, with very few options and go for a relatively lightweight, non tricked out, simple car that feels pure which is what has always made the 911 so great.
The following 4 users liked this post by onedae:
GTS992SA (06-30-2024), rmb1973 (06-15-2024), Wild1 (07-01-2024), yrralis1 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:17 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 319 Posts

Old 06-14-2024, 10:33 PM
wujax
Intermediate

+1. You know pcm only home link was mistake when they walk back that one
rmb1973 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:56 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by wujax
+1. You know pcm only home link was mistake when they walk back that one
PCM Homelink on the 2024 has been rock solid. Like the menu that pops up based on GPS location, and simple multi garage door setup. Have heard older models have been buggy.
jbl16 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:00 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Now this is something I would appreciate!
rmb1973 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 12:33 AM
wujax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
PCM Homelink on the 2024 has been rock solid. Like the menu that pops up based on GPS location, and simple multi garage door setup. Have heard older models have been buggy.
even on the 2020 the menu consistently pops up based on GPS. But it doesn't matter. I want to be able to drive off while closing the garage without stopping and barely taking my eyes off the road. It works without a hitch on my BMW with hardware buttons. Sometimes my finger misses the button on the screen. Sometimes my reverse cam hasn't turned off yet. It's different every day. The consistency is what's missing that the tactile button gives and ultimately that's what you need to perform a task while moving. I gave up and just put the remote back on my visor.

I swear they're going to make shift paddles touch screen one day
The following 2 users liked this post by wujax:
Jeff Whitten (06-15-2024), rmb1973 (06-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 - Well optioned base or poverty spec GTS?