Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consumer shift in demand. Why the 992.2 is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 02:30 PM
C21ban
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
450K/yr is chump change compared to many corporate salaries but only 60K saved in a 401K/IRA etc. at 55 with a multiple 6 figure annual income is just stupid. I wouldn't let that goon give me an aspirin.
I’m only relating it to the specific situation. Well aware that 450K is not huge in today’s world but one would think someone with a little bit of brains would have more than 60K put away in their 50’s.
The following users liked this post:
Hunky (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 02:44 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by C21ban
I’m only relating it to the specific situation. Well aware that 450K is not huge in today’s world but one would think someone with a little bit of brains would have more than 60K put away in their 50’s.
Oh yeah, I get that and am right on board with you. I know a guy who has never earned 6 figures and has in excess of 7 figures in his retirement account. Compare that to the situation with this Physician you point out.
We know a couple who has had an excellent combined income for decades and have absolutely nothing saved, broke every 30 days, and hundreds of thousands in debt. They have it all however. Big house with a 2nd motgage, always new cars, travel, flashy clothes, you name it and their phones ring all f'n day with calls from creditors.
Some of us just cannot handle prosperity.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:05 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
450K/yr is chump change compared to many corporate salaries but only 60K saved in a 401K/IRA etc. at 55 with a multiple 6 figure annual income is just stupid. I wouldn't let that goon give me an aspirin.
It was his second career and he did multiple bike races a year which I believe is expensive. He's decent at gassing people. Not everyone is good with money was my point. It surprised me though! Good thing my dad forced me to contribute to my 403b when I graduated 15 years ago or I wouldn't be on rennlist talking about 911s haha
Old 06-13-2024, 03:29 PM
C21ban
Instructor

Back OT - I absolutely can see why Porsche has gone in this direction on many fronts. One is cost savings but in addition, the new consumer absolutely wants touchscreen tech and a digital environment. Otherwise, it’s just kind of a cool car with heritage and maybe some status. Push/Start buttons, analog tach, and even Hybrid technology is considered to be a positive. I get it and manufacturers are somewhat forced to keep their cars updated to what is considered the latest and greatest. I’m not stating that it is but marketing is aiming for a new breed that can keep their companies relevant.

Just look at the C8 Corvette. It brought a whole new buyer for the platform that would never have considered a Corvette before. Long time owners basically felt it was the death of their beloved cars - no manuals, mid-engine, digital screens, etc. It didn’t hurt their sales one bit and brought in a much younger consumer.

We will see how the new hybrid tech works out and sure it will be great overall. I believe many will not care as they just want a cool car, latest tech available relatively speaking on a sports car, and Porsche will be fine. The biggest concern I would have if I was running the brand is how will I stay profitable going all in on all EV down the road but we will see.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:11 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
Dang looks like I'm behind for my age bracket!
Comparison is the thief of joy.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
CJDCREW (06-13-2024), js1ngh13 (06-14-2024), McNamara (06-13-2024), Mike Murphy (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:30 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,114 Likes on 1,455 Posts

"jstap808: (stocks only no real estate or other alt investments --- not gamestop or nvidia)"

How you you leave NVDA out of your Portfolio? Oh man, you missed the boat on that one my friend. I bought that stock in quantity before the bitcoiners started buying their graphics cards for mining, guess it was about 9 years ago? And I held it. Now, they are so far ahead of everyone else for AI that we are seeing a pivotal moment, similar to when PC's first came out in the 1980's or cell phones in the 90's.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:33 PM
tonka858
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you've ever been part of a Porsche focus group (and I have), I would venture that over 2/3 of the people in the room want more creature comforts in the 911 (hence the revised cupholder), more customization, easier ingress/egress, easier (read: lighter) steering, and none of them care about analog this or central tachometer that or switches and ***** for this or that.

some items to start with
A backup camera that works, Using surround view a security camera's, Adding data package to the car so you can stream music easier, Maybe even gauges you can see.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by C21ban
Just look at the C8 Corvette. It brought a whole new buyer for the platform that would never have considered a Corvette before.
Yea but how much is a c8. Harder to acquire potential 911 buyers no?
Old 06-13-2024, 08:18 PM
jstap808
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
"jstap808: (stocks only no real estate or other alt investments --- not gamestop or nvidia)"

How you you leave NVDA out of your Portfolio? Oh man, you missed the boat on that one my friend. I bought that stock in quantity before the bitcoiners started buying their graphics cards for mining, guess it was about 9 years ago? And I held it. Now, they are so far ahead of everyone else for AI that we are seeing a pivotal moment, similar to when PC's first came out in the 1980's or cell phones in the 90's.
because there was never a guarantee that they’d end up where they are today. That crypto craze could’ve easily shuddered nvidia if it went slightly different and the whole AI nonsense is only recent. I don’t believe in investing in companies where there are bandwagoners pumping the stock up every day, way too much risk imo. I put my money to work in more reasonable companies (apple, Microsoft, and so on) and let it grow over time. I’ve made good investments with smaller cap stocks but not nearly the amount in them cause I’m somewhat risk averse (I know surprising for a 30 something buying a 911) but have also been able to identify other winners in various parts of the market to bring me this fortunate opportunity. There will be a day of reckoning for nvidia, just gotta know when to hop off the train at the right time.

regarding the topic, I like a combo of old and new. Give me the style, turn key, tach, but with modern luxuries of comfort, good ac, and useful digital screens so I don’t feel like I spent a fortune on a car from the 80s.

Last edited by jstap808; 06-13-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:32 PM
C21ban
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shogunade
So it may seem. However, buyers were lined up for Z06 and Eray variants that do reach certain price points that compare to low to mid Porsche variants. Was trying to find something as close for comparison purposes as to the shift in sports car manufacturing to reach a somewhat younger demographic.
Old 06-14-2024, 12:50 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,475 Likes on 5,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
​​​​​Very true. I've been at one hospital for 3 years and one anesthesiologist went through a gt4, 992 tts, cgts4.0 in those 3 years. Sold the gt4 for price he bought it but sold tts because he said he couldn't afford 2500 payment and sold the cayman because he told me he's only saved 60k for retirement and it's time to make rational choices. Guy is mid 50s and makes 450k/yr. .

​​​​
I find it hard to believe that an anesthesiologist some 20 years out of med school / residency is only making 450k a year.

He's doing something wrong above and beyond blowing it on bad car purchasing choices.
Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 01:13 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Are we considering the Corvette C8 and 911 in the same category? Big difference between raw performance and refinement. Camaro, Corvette, and other muscle cars are great in straight line performance, but really not in the same category in my opinion.

I owned a 2001 corvette convertible. Great car at the time, but after I jumped into the German car chain world (worked my way up from Audi S, Mercedes C63 and now Porsche). Just not the same. C8 styling seems like a great Ferrari light car.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:18 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 853 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Are we considering the Corvette C8 and 911 in the same category? Big difference between raw performance and refinement. Camaro, Corvette, and other muscle cars are great in straight line performance, but really not in the same category in my opinion.

I owned a 2001 corvette convertible. Great car at the time, but after I jumped into the German car chain world (worked my way up from Audi S, Mercedes C63 and now Porsche). Just not the same. C8 styling seems like a great Ferrari light car.
The current Z06 Corvette is not just a straight line car and light years ahead of your Corvette from 23 years ago. I have lots of reasons for not finding the current Corvette appealing to me but the performance isn't one of them.
Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:23 AM
C21ban
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten

My point in mentioning the C8 variants had more to do with the marketing aspect and among buyers of sports cars (in the US), it is the closest performance vehicle that I see on the market that has shifted their platform in order to try and grab younger buyers.

And while Porsche enthusiasts may not feel any car built by GM can compare, it is certainly a competitor in grabbing consumer $$ as many who are buying are cross-shopping against Porsche. I have seen in in other forums that many will compare the two when discussing what cars they want to buy.

Last edited by C21ban; 06-14-2024 at 08:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C21ban:
Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024), rasetsu (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 09:05 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 220 Posts

GM has done a masterful job of grabbing market share from other brands such as Porsche and converting us beloved Porsche 911 owners. I'm a perfect example of that. I've owned 3 C8s and a Z06 and although I've returned to 911 ownership (missed the feel, manual and ergonomics/practicality), you can't deny the value proposition of the C8. Their dealership groups don't pull Porsche ADM games and although having to wait on lists, it was somewhat easy to purchase unlike Porsche. Folks definitely cross shop the 911 and C8.

The following 5 users liked this post by CamsPorsche:
Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024), Motorin Mark (06-14-2024), rasetsu (06-14-2024), rmb1973 (06-22-2024), Tupper (06-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Consumer shift in demand. Why the 992.2 is better?