Sponsored by:

Got a 992.2 allocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 03:53 PM
M_B_F
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by David-992.2
Yeah my concern too, as I think about rain, dust, and bird poop landing on my car in Baltimore where it has been since July 30th...
Ha, I was thinking the same. Not to mention salty air right by the ocean. At least some of the car is covered. Found these pics to give us some idea of what it might look like.

The following users liked this post:
MAXFPS (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 05:13 PM
David-992.2
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

M_B_F, I don't know if I should thank you or say you should have lied to me, sent me some beautiful, climate-controlled warehouse with a 10-foot buffer around each car. I'll go with the thank you!
The following 2 users liked this post by David-992.2:
MAXFPS (08-23-2024), M_B_F (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 06:16 PM
5star
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing these pictures made my heart sink....I was in Baltimore last weekend and was tempted to drive over for a live report about the hostage 911's and their poor treatment!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by 5star:
David-992.2 (08-24-2024), MAXFPS (08-23-2024), M_B_F (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 02:22 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

When the 992.1 series was first offered in 2019 I had one of the first Carrera S coupes on order. It set in port in California for nearly 4 months awaiting CARB approvals. The car arrived with the paper covering similar
to shown in the above posted photographs. After dealer prep some embedded moisture in clear coat was found at the protective paper edges. It showed as foggy area and was easily fixed in detailing preparation.
It took close up inspection with light to see the foggy areas before correction. Porsche has a factory service bulletin for this potential problem but the correction in my case only required only a light hand rub with low
abrasive polish. The dealer did not catch the problem prior to delivery so I would advise a close inspection with light of edge of areas where protective paper was attached.
The following 5 users liked this post by mathus7:
darthm8 (08-24-2024), David-992.2 (08-24-2024), MAXFPS (08-24-2024), M_B_F (08-26-2024), rmb1973 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 09:30 PM
David-992.2
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you, much appreciated and very valuable. Wishing it wasn't relevant to me but highly likely it will be.
Old 08-25-2024, 09:48 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Reached my Change Freeze today. Now I can stop looking at the configurator !
rmb1973 (08-25-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:06 AM
Corvette11
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a freeze date of 8/26 and it changed last week. Now it is 8/30. The waiting is driving me crazy....
Old 08-26-2024, 03:22 AM
aman24
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I will preface by saying I am a first-time 911 buyer, I spec'd out my 911 exactly how I would like it. A new dealership opened in my city and my dealer told me there was an open bucket for a 992.2 for October and an estimated delivery for December. I went to my dealer this past Saturday to put my deposit down. As I handed him my credit card he informed me that it's possible someone may have come and put their deposit down the day before (Friday) but wasn't sure because their internal Porsche system was down. Bc the system is down he doesn't know if they paid a deposit on the 992.2 allocation or if it's for another incoming car etc. But he urged me to still pay the deposit so that if allocation is still open I can take it. This morning (Sunday) he informed me that the allocation is indeed gone and that given it's a brand-new dealership he believes that they will get more allocations, especially for a base 911. I did not know getting allocations for 911 was a bit tricky, I guess that's just due to me being naive. My SA tells me its just a waiting game to see how quickly they can get another allocation. What do you guys suggest I do? Do you guys think what he said is actually true or that he gave me the runaround?
Old 08-26-2024, 03:38 PM
Dec528
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can give you my perspective from a first time Porsche buyer. I started looking around for a 911 in mid July. I initially walked into the dealer closest to where I live (Dealer #1). I was told they could probably get me an allocation on a 2025 base 911 before end of this year but suggested I consider a CPO in the interim. In the next 2 weeks I visited/contacted the 3 other dealers who are in my area. Dealer #2 told me they couldn't get me an allocation on new one for "over a year" and also suggested a CPO while the other 2 showed me several inbound new base 911's which had already been built, to those respective dealers and both also showed me a handful of upcoming 911 allocations which were allocated to them but unsold, but had freeze dates within one week. One of these 2 dealers (Dealer #3) told me they did require me to purchase a porsche watch for around $5k and the car would be at msrp and the Dealer #4 told me it would be at msrp but they required me to purchase the prepaid maintenance for year 2.
I decided to think about and in the interim looked at cpo's around the country. Since I couldn't find the right color combination/options plus since the listed prices were all above msrp I decided to consider ordering a new 911. In early August I called the Dealer #1, and also Dealers #3 and Dealer #4 who'd both showed me incoming unallocated base 911's. Dealer #1 told me if I configured a car and submitted to them they could have an allocation for me shortly after which I'd need to pay a $5000 refundable deposit so I submitted a configuration. Dealer #4 told me the few base 911's they had shown me 3 weeks earlier were gone and they didn't expect to have any availability for the rest of the year. Dealer #2 told me they had 1 base 911 with a freeze date in 1 day and another with a freeze date in 2 weeks and the they also no longer had the "watch requirement" as long as I put in the order the same day (8/3) and the car would be at msrp. Since I hadn't really configured the car I decided to put in the order on the base 911 with the freeze date in 2 weeks. I paid a $5000 deposit (refundable up to the point the car freezes) that day, configured a car, and signed the sales order. I was told my freeze date was 8/21 and in that 2 week period from when I paid the deposit and signed the order I made final changes to my configuration. Within a day or so of placing the order the car showed up on the Porsche app under my account as step 1 "Purchase Order Confirmed" and right around 8/21 the status changed to Step 2 "You have reached the Change freeze Point".
Incidentally Dealer #1 had told me at the beginning of August that he was expecting the next wave of allocations in a week to ten days and he would contact me to place the order and I haven't heard from him as of now.
So I think if there are any other dealers close to you, you should reach out to them to see what may be available. It seems it can be hit or miss, with some luck thrown in. I got the impression that the allocation I was able to secure was originally destined for a different dealer but when it wasn't sold by a certain date, my dealer was able to "grab" it since they had a buyer.
Good luck!
aman24 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:55 PM
MAXFPS
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by aman24
I will preface by saying I am a first-time 911 buyer, I spec'd out my 911 exactly how I would like it. A new dealership opened in my city and my dealer told me there was an open bucket for a 992.2 for October and an estimated delivery for December. I went to my dealer this past Saturday to put my deposit down. As I handed him my credit card he informed me that it's possible someone may have come and put their deposit down the day before (Friday) but wasn't sure because their internal Porsche system was down. Bc the system is down he doesn't know if they paid a deposit on the 992.2 allocation or if it's for another incoming car etc. But he urged me to still pay the deposit so that if allocation is still open I can take it. This morning (Sunday) he informed me that the allocation is indeed gone and that given it's a brand-new dealership he believes that they will get more allocations, especially for a base 911. I did not know getting allocations for 911 was a bit tricky, I guess that's just due to me being naive. My SA tells me its just a waiting game to see how quickly they can get another allocation. What do you guys suggest I do? Do you guys think what he said is actually true or that he gave me the runaround?
992.2s are in extremely short supply because they are so new and none have hit dealer lots yet. There are actually only 8 listed nationwide on Porsche's site: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...95.712891%2C-1
Other dealerships have a couple incoming that they are either advertising only on their dealerships webpage, or they know are incoming but not even putting up on their own webpage (Beaverton advertised only one 992.2 incoming, but when I called they had 3). In July when I searched no one had an allocation slot for a custom build so I searched nationwide each individual dealer's sites to see what loadouts they had incoming. Still ended up paying over MSRP, but I'm happy to have gotten very close to what I wanted. I specifically wanted the new 992.2, but 992.1s are still going for over list and our state's dealers don't even have a single one of those to test drive. Porsche makes it an intentionally scarce car.
Mine is now sitting in port awaiting EPA, and maybe even CARB approval. The most obnoxious part of the wait!
The following 2 users liked this post by MAXFPS:
aman24 (08-27-2024), rmb1973 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:10 PM
darthm8
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXFPS
992.2s are in extremely short supply because they are so new and none have hit dealer lots yet. There are actually only 8 listed nationwide on Porsche's site: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...95.712891%2C-1
Other dealerships have a couple incoming that they are either advertising only on their dealerships webpage, or they know are incoming but not even putting up on their own webpage (Beaverton advertised only one 992.2 incoming, but when I called they had 3). In July when I searched no one had an allocation slot for a custom build so I searched nationwide each individual dealer's sites to see what loadouts they had incoming. Still ended up paying over MSRP, but I'm happy to have gotten very close to what I wanted. I specifically wanted the new 992.2, but 992.1s are still going for over list and our state's dealers don't even have a single one of those to test drive. Porsche makes it an intentionally scarce car.
Mine is now sitting in port awaiting EPA, and maybe even CARB approval. The most obnoxious part of the wait!
I got my allocation through Beaverton as well. Supposed to have November delivery. :fingers crossed:
MAXFPS (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 06:00 PM
drj400m
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received an email that I got a November allocation with a delivery date of early January!!! Not the greatest time for Minnesota, but I will take it. I had my 991.1 Carrera S through the snowiest winter in history 2 years ago and we did just fine!!

Very excited as I only have ordered one other car before: 2009 BMW M3. That car was fantastic.

So looking forward to the build process, watching the car go through the process all the way until delivery.

Thanks for this thread and looking at all the advice and hopefully I can use it to watch the car get to me!!!

All this the day before I go on vacation, what a great day!!
The following 4 users liked this post by drj400m:
aman24 (08-27-2024), fanboy (08-27-2024), MAXFPS (08-28-2024), M_B_F (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 09:11 PM
Matt13X
AutoX

Originally Posted by aman24
I went into my dealer at the end of June and had spec’d out a 992.1. My buddy came in to say Hi (he bought like 5 Porsche’s in the past 18 months). When they saw him they gave me a 992.2 allocation at MSRP. It was an allocation they had spec’d and I just changed it completely to what I wanted… much to my girlfriend’s chagrin because they did not offer cognac with Pepita on the 992.2… which is fine with me since it wouldn’t really match well with the aero kit I got. Anyway, I guess I was lucky that he swung by to say “hi”. But it seems to me that you’re either a frequent flier or you pay to get an allocation… at least right now. I currently have a Taycan Turbo so I’m excited to get my 911. Supposedly late October delivery. I just reached step 3 on 8/20.

Last edited by Matt13X; 08-27-2024 at 09:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt13X:
aman24 (08-27-2024), MAXFPS (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 11:45 PM
aman24
Cruisin'

Well, I have a very nice update. To my surprise when most other dealers informed me that they had a 1-2 year wait or would not sell to me due to me being in a neighboring state, I got a call back from a dealer a few hours anyway informing me that they could offer me an allocation with a freeze date of 8/29 and expected delivery late November to early December! I signed the initial agreement and paid my deposit today! When can I expect to get an official confirmation from Porsche and see progress on the app?
The following 2 users liked this post by aman24:
Matt13X (08-28-2024), MAXFPS (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:27 AM
Dec528
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That’s awesome news. I received an email from Porsche about 4 days after I signed the paperwork and paid my deposit. But I think the allocation showed up in my account in the Porsche app within a day of signing and paying the deposit. It showed as “step 1” right around 8/4 and then went to step 2 “change freeze date” on 8/21
aman24 (08-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Got a 992.2 allocation