Sponsored by:

When Will Allocations Pick Back Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 06:20 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 24 Posts
Default When Will Allocations Pick Back Up

I've been told that the factory in Germany shut down for re-tooling in September and production should start back up in October for MY24. Most every dealer SA I've talked to have said allocations had stopped or only trickled in since August. I have also heard that allocations this time around will be larger as Porsche is increasing production for the coming year. Does anyone on this forum have any insider knowledge regarding my above comments? Or is all of this simply rumor with no factual basis? I am very high on the list at 2 dealers (1 or 2) for a GTS Cab allocation and am trying to determine my chances of getting one and how soon.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:27 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrake
I've been told that the factory in Germany shut down for re-tooling in September and production should start back up in October for MY24. Most every dealer SA I've talked to have said allocations had stopped or only trickled in since August. I have also heard that allocations this time around will be larger as Porsche is increasing production for the coming year. Does anyone on this forum have any insider knowledge regarding my above comments? Or is all of this simply rumor with no factual basis? I am very high on the list at 2 dealers (1 or 2) for a GTS Cab allocation and am trying to determine my chances of getting one and how soon.
The factory shut down happens every year, regardless of supply and demand. I haven’t seen anything recently that would imply a pick up in production.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:38 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Porsche is not increasing 911 production.
There will be no increase in allocations.
There is a long line of people waiting for an available allocation and plenty willing to pay above sticker to grab one.

Porsche likes this status quo. It keeps 911 values high and increases desirability, because the cars are harder to get.

If you are waiting for the return of easy allocations, cars sitting on lots, and below MSRP transactions, you will be waiting a very very long time for your next new 911. Given the year over year price increases and inflation, the wait isn’t going to save you any money. That is, if you can get an allocation by paying $5-10k over sticker, that’s going to be a better deal for you than waiting for the world to change.
The following 9 users liked this post by detansinn:
Bearrun21 (09-17-2023), Icegrill (09-14-2023), newalbanyohio (09-14-2023), OMTarga4S (09-15-2023), russbert (09-15-2023), Staffie Guy (09-15-2023), stonekutter (09-15-2023), TimD (09-14-2023), ttcbj (09-16-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-14-2023, 06:54 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I know a dealer out in LA that has an open allocation for a GTS cab if you're interested. Don't know what they are asking for markup though.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:12 PM
fl0950
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a '24 Targa 4S that TYD says will start production on 9-14, with dealer arrival scheduled for 10-26. I realize the delivery date is pretty loose given shipping problems, but the production dates have stayed constant since the build locked 6 weeks ago.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:40 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Speculation -
I think 911 will be limited in production and EV and other hybrid models will be produced in larger numbers in the coming year.

Getting a 911 will get harder in my opinion. Again regulations in EU/US and other places along with the demand will dictate that. You can definitely get a good price on Taycan, Macan etc, but not the 911. So it balances things out.

If you stick to one brand- might pay ADM on 911 and get discount on Taycan/Macan etc.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:43 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 193 Posts

Actually the Shutdown was in August and has passed. I don't think allocations will change much. If you can't find an allocation buy a used CPO car and convince the dealer you will trade it in one a new allocation when you get one. Dealers like replacing inventory, you will still probably need to wait. But in the meantime you'll have a great car to drive that shouldn't depreciate too much if you have a decent dealer.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:05 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
There is a long line of people waiting for an available allocation and plenty willing to pay above sticker to grab one.

Porsche likes this status quo. It keeps 911 values high and increases desirability, because the cars are harder to get.

If you are waiting for the return of easy allocations, cars sitting on lots, and below MSRP transactions, you will be waiting a very very long time for your next new 911. Given the year over year price increases and inflation, the wait isn’t going to save you any money. That is, if you can get an allocation by paying $5-10k over sticker, that’s going to be a better deal for you than waiting for the world to change.
a lot of times the cars that are $10K over sticker are CPO’d and if you can get one at current year or even a year or two old you are better off then buying new and if plan to keep the car and drive it. having that extra two year warranty is like a warm blanket.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:07 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 997 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

Where's that YouTube video explaining the supply and demand model of Porsche. Pretty informative…imho
Old 09-14-2023, 08:13 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

porsche ag is doing a big training right now.

they might be retooling but no different from any other year unless they roll out more ev ****.

no, no increase in allocations aside from adding new dealers (if at all) i’m afraid. it’s just not what they do and the 911 ethos is build one fewer than demand.

if your in the market for new LONG lead times. if you can do used watch the 991 market. a great car and prices are coming down on that generation.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:53 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

I have read in a few places that production of the 718 models has been moved away from Stuttgart to a VW factory. This will free up capacity in Stuttgart, whether this means more 911 production, more Taycan production or a little bit of both is not really public information.
The following 2 users liked this post by malba2366:
jdrake (09-15-2023), Tedster (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 09:23 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 964 Likes on 539 Posts

One good black swan economic event and things will normalize quickly. That said, Porsche is losing total sales with the current 911 market. For every faithful customer willing to wait 2 years for an allocation, many other possible customers just walk away when they hear that. Now you can say Porsche doesn't care, but orders they can't fulfill are orders and revenue lost. They could make 20% more 911s and still sell them for msrp.
The following 2 users liked this post by nyca:
Captain P (09-14-2023), scott90909 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 09:26 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 964 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
porsche ag is doing a big training right now.

they might be retooling but no different from any other year unless they roll out more ev ****.

no, no increase in allocations aside from adding new dealers (if at all) i’m afraid. it’s just not what they do and the 911 ethos is build one fewer than demand.

if your in the market for new LONG lead times. if you can do used watch the 991 market. a great car and prices are coming down on that generation.
Actually that was the Ferrari ethos, the 911 ethos was never to build one less than demand, just a few years ago you could go to a dealer and see in stock cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by nyca:
Joe Richardson (12-13-2023), scott90909 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:02 PM
jfb992
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is the Porsche AG news release on moving overflow 718 production. 718 overflow production Osnabrueck
Old 09-14-2023, 10:48 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm in same boat as you, but for GTS coupe.

My interest is flagging though, this buying process has been tedious and I've come to reconsider a lot of other very cool options that are available at the 911 price point. For instance, I'm thinking about the best car to go with Chevy's new 1000hp big block crate motor (it costs less than a Weissach package on an RS!), which is infinitely more interesting then wasting brain space and talking ad nauseam about allocations.

There was an article in a reputable European mag going around earlier this year that Porsche was going to allocate newly-freed space from discontinued 718 line in Zuffenhausen to 911 production. Haven't seen any subsequent confirmation.

Pointless personal opinion - I reckon Porsche will crank up 911 production AND will allocate more global production to North America.

nyca is right, it's not like Porsche AG has any alternative product to push when they can't get you a 911 allocation. 718 is basically gone, and no one is walking in for a 911 but settling for a Macan. Dealers can push used inventory, but that does nothing for Porsche AG. It's basically thousands of permanently lost sales of a product with an average sale price probably around 175k. That could add up to billions. If it is feasible, it would be foolish to not use the idle 718 line.

European and Chinese economies are hurting, and anecdotally hearing of new 911s readily available at Euro dealers. It makes sense to steer more allocation our way to maintain a balanced global demand.
The following users liked this post:
scott90909 (09-16-2023)

Quick Reply: When Will Allocations Pick Back Up