Sponsored by:

When Will Allocations Pick Back Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 11:15 AM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Northshore04
I know a dealer out in LA that has an open allocation for a GTS cab if you're interested. Don't know what they are asking for markup though.
PM Sent.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:20 AM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Markets are cyclic in nature. People will need cars. They are daily drivers like Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM and VW that sell cars on a regular basis. Porsche on the other hand is a luxury product. With a slowdown, first thing that gets hit is luxury market. So their SUV product is big. They might come out with a pickup truck. But lotta bets on EV for the future. EVs have lot of issues too. More to do with the infrastructure than anything else.

When it comes to 911, they have a good marketing team, and more competition coming up. But they won't increase production coz it will hurt them. 911 will be or might be one that they keep demand more than production.
So unless production outpaces demand, getting allocation will be difficult. Plus being in a global market, they can move allocations as needed. China has a slowdown, when they pick up, demand will get higher.

Last edited by jack_carls0n; 09-15-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:20 AM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Muhney
Actually the Shutdown was in August and has passed. I don't think allocations will change much. If you can't find an allocation buy a used CPO car and convince the dealer you will trade it in one a new allocation when you get one. Dealers like replacing inventory, you will still probably need to wait. But in the meantime you'll have a great car to drive that shouldn't depreciate too much if you have a decent dealer.
I have expressed that I would be willing to do that very thing to my SA. I have a 2004 GT3 in Concourse condition and a 1998 Rudy Mancinas C2S. Unfortunately, both are too valuable to use as a trade-in. Knowing that I am 1 or 2 on the list at a couple of dealerships, I would assume that an allocation may come my way here sometime in the next few months. It would be interesting to see just how many MY23 GTSs were produced for the US market ... even better how many GTS Cabs. That should give an idea of what to expect for MY24.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:23 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
They’re losing nothing. The 911 production model is almost like the golden ratio. The profit margin is lower on 911s than other models,so their bread and butter SUV/EV get priority for production increases.
They are definitely losing money. If you measure it by a sale lost because they couldn't meet demand, they are losing money. About 2 months ago I walked on a Range Rover Sport purchase. Buying one of those is similar to buying a 911 - with how the dealers handle the sale, pricing, wait lists, etc. Same experience. I went and bought a Lexus RX instead, saved myself $25K, and you know what - it's fine for an everyday vehicle, I really didn't need a RR Sport especially given the difficulties of acquiring one. Is that a lost sale for Land Rover? It sure is, my money was sent to Toyota and I'm not going to be a Land Rover customer now. The 911 has a more loyal following, but it's not infinite.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
They are definitely losing money. If you measure it by a sale lost because they couldn't meet demand, they are losing money. About 2 months ago I walked on a Range Rover Sport purchase. Buying one of those is similar to buying a 911 - with how the dealers handle the sale, pricing, wait lists, etc. Same experience. I went and bought a Lexus RX instead, saved myself $25K, and you know what - it's fine for an everyday vehicle, I really didn't need a RR Sport especially given the difficulties of acquiring one. Is that a lost sale for Land Rover? It sure is, my money was sent to Toyota and I'm not going to be a Land Rover customer now. The 911 has a more loyal following, but it's not infinite.
Land Rover is not a volume marque like Toyota.

Just like Porsche is not a volume dealer when it comes to the 911.

Porsche makes its $ on a per unit basis, not on overall volume for the 911.

Volume matters, but net profit margin per unit matters more.

Macan, Cayenne, etc. are different metrics entirely, however. And for those vehicles, volume matters more.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 09-15-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 AM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

What makes people walk is the dealer behavior not the shortage. If the RR dealer told you we have a 9 month wait and we will order your car at MSRP you probably would have bought it, unless you had a pressing need for a vehicle.

They are losing money, but increasing production is a long and expensive process and if the market turns, then it can be a huge problem for the automaker. Porsche has been burned bad by oversupply before and they don't want to go back there. Despite of what people on here say, high interest rates will eventually affect sports sales and if an economic downturn should occur demand will drop too. I don't think Porsche is trying to create an intentional scarcity of vehicles, but they have to run their business in a responsible way.

Last edited by malba2366; 09-15-2023 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
c1pher (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

I respectfully disagree, they could care less if they miss a perceived sale. Nothing surprising or new going on here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
2thHappy (09-15-2023), Tedster (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:08 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Is there any information available on production numbers for North America for any model year (preferably MY22, MY23) for 911's broken out by models (i.e. Base, Ts, Ss, S4s, GTS Coupe, GT3s, GTS 4 Coupe, GTS Cab, etc.)?
Old 09-15-2023, 12:20 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
I respectfully disagree, they could care less if they miss a perceived sale. Nothing surprising or new going on here.
If the salesman or even the sales manager doesn't care, it's not because they are oblivious or misanthropes but rather that they have no control or input over the supply process.

But the owner of the dealership absolutely cares. And unlike the worker drones, he can definitely raise this issue with the manufacturer. In addition to lost retail opportunities, he is also losing substantial back-end cash flow on the service revenue.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:27 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

The phrase “losing money” needs to be replaced with “leaving money on the table”. Porsche is NOT losing money.

But in all fairness Porsche has struggled to produce as many cars as they currently do because of supply restraints as is evident when certain options and accessories are not available so even if they did spend the billions to build or retool another factory they would have even more issues acquiring the parts to build more.
The following 3 users liked this post by 992.Turbo.S:
detansinn (09-16-2023), nyca (09-15-2023), Tedster (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:46 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
... But in all fairness Porsche has struggled to produce as many cars as they currently do because of supply restraints as is evident when certain options and accessories are not available so even if they did spend the billions to build or retool another factory they would have even more issues acquiring the parts to build more.
Even though the supply chain is improving since COVID, it is not back to pre-COVID levels. However, i would assume supply chain would be better this coming year than it was last year or the year before.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:13 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

But they have always had that business model - they consider themselves the "top of the food chain", there is no where else for their customers to go (in their view), so they can make it work. Mercedes used to be like that many years ago, they couldn't sustain it. I agree that in the current post-COVID mania, even Hyundai thinks they can be Ferrari, every manufacturer is chasing the "high end customer" which is why a Ford pickup truck costs $72K now.
Those German auto makers made a bad business decision when they went down market. The result is a water down brand.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:36 PM
shehatezme
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been waiting for a MSRP T allocation at a dealer but was told that the list has not moved at all. Last round of allocation they have only gotten 1/2 spots.

Last week another dealer is offered a Dec T allocation with $10K markup. I only want to pay MSRP.

Tbh, this Pcar buying process has been infuriating and has left a super bad taste with me as a brand. I ordered a new M2 last month, no wait/no mark-up and it's being delivered next month.

I have been debating pulling my deposit because I shouldn't feel like this spending $140-150K imo.

Last edited by shehatezme; 09-15-2023 at 02:37 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by shehatezme:
bpeacock (09-15-2023), czechchamp (10-17-2023), nyca (09-15-2023), PMAA (10-17-2023), scott90909 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 02:53 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by shehatezme
I have been waiting for a MSRP T allocation at a dealer but was told that the list has not moved at all. Last round of allocation they have only gotten 1/2 spots.

Last week another dealer is offered a Dec T allocation with $10K markup. I only want to pay MSRP.

Tbh, this Pcar buying process has been infuriating and has left a super bad taste with me as a brand. I ordered a new M2 last month, no wait/no mark-up and it's being delivered next month.

I have been debating pulling my deposit because I shouldn't feel like this spending $140-150K imo.
bmw’s just ain’t the same as they use to be. interior makes me feel like i’m going to a weird nightclub with all different interior lighting. my old e30 M was awesome, very basic inside and back then was fun to drive. i just don’t get the appeal on the new ones. weird front grill, but if you like it that’s great.

as those old porsche ad says, “there is no substitute” and i think that is even more true today.

Last edited by tmslc; 09-15-2023 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johnohara (10-17-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 03:10 PM
shehatezme
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
bmw’s just ain’t the same as they use to be. interior makes me feel like i’m going to a weird nightclub with all different interior lighting. my old e30 M was awesome, very basic inside and back then was fun to drive. i just don’t get the appeal on the new ones. weird front grill, but if you like it that’s great.
Porsche is definitely next level compared to M cars. However, you can't beat the current price to performance ratio that BMW M cars are offering these days. Options for a 2 Door / 4 seater / 6 spd / 450HP car are very limited today. All for about $70K. I dig it. I am just trying to buy a new one before they all become extinct in a few years.

This is why I think it is a shame that Porsche is not making these cars more accessible now given we are in the last few years before everything is EV/Hybrid/Automatic. The 994 will definitely be some sort of hybrid and will be more digital than the 992. If they only keep the non-hybrid motors and manual gear box for GT cars, that driving experience will even be more out of reach for the next gen. In the mean time, I will just sit here quietly and wait for my turn to spec a new 992 =)

Last edited by shehatezme; 09-15-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: When Will Allocations Pick Back Up