Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTEK battery maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 03:45 PM
1BTD
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

New twist on my set-up. Comfort connector hard wired and connected to charger. Charger goes through steps and gets to trickle-all is good. Disconnect charger and go for a long drive and a day later, decide to diddle with PCM for 15 minutes, ignition on motor off, charger not connected. Next day decide to put on charger and after a couple hours, charger has error light blinking. Reboot charger and check next day, error light still on…. Check comfort connect cable and it is blinking red. Check fuse and it is ok. Disconnect charger from power and comfort cable. Reconnect and it SEEMS to be charging normally. Any ideas why comfort cable timed out/went to sleep? Could ignition on/charger not connected have caused some kind of issue with comfort connect cable. Appreciate any ideas/suggestions
Old 04-23-2023, 05:03 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BTD
New twist on my set-up. Comfort connector hard wired and connected to charger. Charger goes through steps and gets to trickle-all is good. Disconnect charger and go for a long drive and a day later, decide to diddle with PCM for 15 minutes, ignition on motor off, charger not connected. Next day decide to put on charger and after a couple hours, charger has error light blinking. Reboot charger and check next day, error light still on…. Check comfort connect cable and it is blinking red. Check fuse and it is ok. Disconnect charger from power and comfort cable. Reconnect and it SEEMS to be charging normally. Any ideas why comfort cable timed out/went to sleep? Could ignition on/charger not connected have caused some kind of issue with comfort connect cable. Appreciate any ideas/suggestions
Someone in this thread had a bad connector. Sounds like that could be your issue. Reach out to CTEK support for a new one?
Old 04-23-2023, 06:50 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

Try the standard clamp on to see if you get normal operation. If you do, it's the comfort connector.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:03 PM
1BTD
Instructor

So I reconnected the rig and comfort connect blinking green and no error light on charger. Checked it after a couple hours and cc blinking red and error light on charger. It’s acting like when the 12 v footwell socket works fine and then aborts. If I got clamps with Mx 5 I don't know where they are. Tried turning ignition on/off and reconnected charger. Will check status in am. Seems like if comfort cable was kaput it wouldn’t work and then clap out. Frustrating!
Old 04-24-2023, 01:49 PM
1BTD
Instructor

Originally Posted by doug_999
Someone in this thread had a bad connector. Sounds like that could be your issue. Reach out to CTEK support for a new one?

Called CTEK and rep tried his best to convince me comfort connector was functioning properly (battery is dead, wait for charge, etc) I finally convinced him I was pretty sure cable was kaput (cc flashes green lights which turn to red after a few hours, charger error light on, connected for 24 hrs and status light is stuck on step 1). Should have replacement cable “by end of week”. Kinda surprised with CTEK's reputation that it appears there is a QC issue with the CC cables. Really hope replacement will solve the problem and be reliable.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:46 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Called CTEK and rep tried his best to convince me comfort connector was functioning properly (battery is dead, wait for charge, etc) I finally convinced him I was pretty sure cable was kaput (cc flashes green lights which turn to red after a few hours, charger error light on, connected for 24 hrs and status light is stuck on step 1). Should have replacement cable “by end of week”. Kinda surprised with CTEK's reputation that it appears there is a QC issue with the CC cables. Really hope replacement will solve the problem and be reliable.
Sometimes it is easier to just order another one from Amazon and once proven, send the other one back. Agree with the QC.....
Old 05-10-2023, 03:37 PM
DoubleD992GTS
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Thread. Great posts. Thank you to all for posting photos and comments. CTEK has a great corporate support team at 1-888-880-0684. As noted above, the US Lithium kit comes with a hardwire M8 eyelet. I called CTEK support and they are sending me a hardwire/fuse connector with M6 eyelets. For those of us that have a Lithium battery, BMS requires that we ground to the frame per the above posted photos. And of course my positive accessory battery post came w/o a M6 nut. Thank you Porsche.

I tried everything with the Porsche charge o mat to connect via the 12v accessory port. Even with all the work arounds, I could never get the Porsche charge o mat to be consistent. I should have went with CTEK hardwire in the first place. Plus the CTEK Support Group is great.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:47 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
My RAS equpped Li battery 992 sometimes sits for several days. I've got a CTEK Li maintainer to avoid the battery going below its "I'm dead" threshold. Of late, the CTEK will go through its recognition process (1 green light) and evaluation (2), get to three and rapidly to 4, then go to a reset with a red light error. Anyone else experience this? Should I maintain less often? Most of my drives are relatively short (less than 20 miles) and I've had PCM sometimes tell me it can't run because of low battery voltage.

I had the same issue with my Porsche charge o mat. Got low battery warning messsages and eventually died Switched to noco genius 5 and no more problems ( so far)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:49 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleD992GTS
Great Thread. Great posts. Thank you to all for posting photos and comments. CTEK has a great corporate support team at 1-888-880-0684. As noted above, the US Lithium kit comes with a hardwire M8 eyelet. I called CTEK support and they are sending me a hardwire/fuse connector with M6 eyelets. For those of us that have a Lithium battery, BMS requires that we ground to the frame per the above posted photos. And of course my positive accessory battery post came w/o a M6 nut. Thank you Porsche.

I tried everything with the Porsche charge o mat to connect via the 12v accessory port. Even with all the work arounds, I could never get the Porsche charge o mat to be consistent. I should have went with CTEK hardwire in the first place. Plus the CTEK Support Group is great.
You can buy a generic m6 nut at hardware store for like 25 cents, I ended up buying a flange nut.
The following 2 users liked this post by westcoastj:
DoubleD992GTS (05-11-2023), KLOC (08-06-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:04 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Couple of comments
1. Correct, no nut on that positive post - I thought they skipped mine, but I believe that's just how all cars come - darn cost savings!
2. The BMS is actually built into the Lithium battery - so you can connect to the negative post if you like. The challenge is that is trickier than it seems since the screw does not completely remove from the cable - so you have to cut your eyelet and slide it on and then tighten the clamp screw again. Just not worth it. The AGM battery does not have the BMS as part of it, so that one should connect to a ground other than on the battery. The pros on this thread will correct me if I'm wrong on this of course

The following users liked this post:
Chris Connor (10-15-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:49 PM
DoubleD992GTS
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI. On the Lithium battery with BMS, CTEK support told me not to connect to the negative battery terminal post (I read in other threads this could lead to battery damage). I am assuming for AGM battery, this is ok. For those that want to confirm, give a quick call to corporate CTEK support (888-880-0684). To connect to negative battery post, just cut the eyelet as shown in the Obsessed Garage Video.

Last edited by DoubleD992GTS; 05-11-2023 at 12:51 PM. Reason: miss-typed word
Old 05-12-2023, 07:32 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

FYI. On the Lithium battery with BMS, CTEK support told me not to connect to the negative battery terminal post (I read in other threads this could lead to battery damage). I am assuming for AGM battery, this is ok. For those that want to confirm, give a quick call to corporate CTEK support (888-880-0684). To connect to negative battery post, just cut the eyelet as shown in the Obsessed Garage Video.
As noted, it is the opposite

But avoiding a spark* near the battery is always a good idea - and with a spot so close to the battery that works nicely, the negative side of the battery on this car is rarely worth the trouble.

*although I seem to remember that the lithium battery does not have an issue with this

KLOC (08-06-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:10 PM
Riddleric
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Noob question here if someone can help. Just hooked up the comfort connect M8 and the red light is flashing consistently I haven’t even plug in the CTEK battery maintainer. Did I mess up on connection? Thanks in advance.

vg247 (05-29-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:48 PM
1BTD
Instructor

Connection looks good. My understanding of flashing lights / charger not connected is red=battery low, needs charge asap. Amber=battery low charge when you get a chance and green=battery charged, no need to connect to charger. Pretty sure that’s the definition of the status lights BUT I question the accuracy. My car is 8 months old and after a 200 mile drive, status shows red even though battery should be fully charged OR I've got a bad battery showing no signs of being bad
Riddleric (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:59 PM
Riddleric
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Connection looks good. My understanding of flashing lights / charger not connected is red=battery low, needs charge asap. Amber=battery low charge when you get a chance and green=battery charged, no need to connect to charger. Pretty sure that’s the definition of the status lights BUT I question the accuracy. My car is 8 months old and after a 200 mile drive, status shows red even though battery should be fully charged OR I've got a bad battery showing no signs of being bad
thanks for the info! I haven’t been driving as much so red might be accurate.

Quick Reply: CTEK battery maintainer