Sponsored by:

CTEK battery maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 10:33 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts
Default CTEK battery maintainer

My RAS equpped Li battery 992 sometimes sits for several days. I've got a CTEK Li maintainer to avoid the battery going below its "I'm dead" threshold. Of late, the CTEK will go through its recognition process (1 green light) and evaluation (2), get to three and rapidly to 4, then go to a reset with a red light error. Anyone else experience this? Should I maintain less often? Most of my drives are relatively short (less than 20 miles) and I've had PCM sometimes tell me it can't run because of low battery voltage.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:02 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 721 Posts

How do you have your CTek hooked up. If direct on battery - it should go through the normal sequence over a period of 12-24 hours and be all green.

What year do you have, how is it hooked up?
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (04-04-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 11:13 PM
JMSGT
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

On my 22 TTS, CTek Lithium charger is wired into the positive on the battery and grounding post. I plug it in after every drive so I don’t believe you are over maintaining. Given your PCM message, wonder if you have a battery issue. Are you the original owner ? Only ask so you consider history of how battery was dealt with. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMSGT:
KLOC (03-16-2023), Mikey K (10-15-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 11:39 PM
F8Driver
Pro

2022 GTS w 2000 miles. CTEK connected to positive terminal and ground connection via CTEK's accessory cable.. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the cable is at fault. Using alligator clamps, it works fine. I checked the fuse on the cable and it's good, so there's something going on there. I guess I'll order another cable and see if that works. Right now, the cable setup I used allowed me to connect with the frunk closed. Back to the drawing board.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM
JMSGT
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear your frustration. Get a new cable quick on Amazon- you probably know that. Bitch out CTek later. btw I leave my cable out the front of the trunk and unlatched, hit lock on the key and the mirrors and handle retract. In the event something goofy happens no problem to unlatch the frunk and get to the battery.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:44 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Due to all the bad weather here in the Bay Area since I took delivery on January 1st of a 2023 GT3 Touring, I've been using a CTEK battery charger with good results.

I have the charger on the wall and use the Comfort Connect (8.2 feet extension cables) to a CTEK connector cable to the battery that uses eyelets. The kit comes with alligator clamps, but I chose to install the comfort connect cable with eyelits (which comes with a fuse). I am grounding to a bolt on the left strut tower with this cable. I also ordered the CTEK Comfort Eyelet in a smaller eyelit size (M6) to fit my posts better (1/4") but the CTEK (56-260) did not come with a fuse like the larger M8 Comfort Connect Eyelet (56-382) so I decided to go with the M8 eyelet cable that came with my CTEK charger.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 03-15-2023 at 03:52 PM.
KLOC (03-16-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 08:24 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude

Due to all the bad weather here in the Bay Area since I took delivery on January 1st of a 2023 GT3 Touring, I've been using a CTEK battery charger with good results.

I have the charger on the wall and use the Comfort Connect (8.2 feet extension cables) to a CTEK connector cable to the battery that uses eyelets. The kit comes with alligator clamps, but I chose to install the comfort connect cable with eyelits (which comes with a fuse). I am grounding to a bolt on the left strut tower with this cable. I also ordered the CTEK Comfort Eyelet in a smaller eyelit size (M6) to fit my posts better (1/4") but the CTEK (56-260) did not come with a fuse like the larger M8 Comfort Connect Eyelet (56-382) so I decided to go with the M8 eyelet cable that came with my CTEK charger.
I have a similar setup. I connected positive to battery positive and negative to Porsche negative (using a clamp, I might try removing the negative bolt later). Then an extension with the connector cable to a position just under the frunk lid on its right rear (passenger) side. This allows me to attach charger w/o opening frunk. It worked fine, then started throwing failure codes, now won't initiate. I suspect the connector cable or its fittings aren't making solid connection. I'm going to try using a electrical grease on the attachment points and if it fails, purchase a new extention.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:25 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by JMSGT
Sorry to hear your frustration. Get a new cable quick on Amazon- you probably know that. Bitch out CTek later. btw I leave my cable out the front of the trunk and unlatched, hit lock on the key and the mirrors and handle retract. In the event something goofy happens no problem to unlatch the frunk and get to the battery.
Read my later reply. Essentially the same solution, but very neat. Can't see the connector. I use a bit of velcro to keep it in place. Worked great until it didn't. If cleaning up the connections doesn't work, I'll buy a new cable.
KLOC (03-16-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 05:29 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by F8Driver
Read my later reply. Essentially the same solution, but very neat. Can't see the connector. I use a bit of velcro to keep it in place. Worked great until it didn't. If cleaning up the connections doesn't work, I'll buy a new cable.
Here's some pics, fru

nk up and frunk down.
The following 2 users liked this post by F8Driver:
KLOC (04-04-2023), vg247 (05-18-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:32 PM
F8Driver
Pro

I contacted CTEK and got a quick reply. Two days later I had a replacement extender and a recommended adapter with longer leads. BRAVO CTEK!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by F8Driver:
DoubleD992GTS (05-10-2023), KLOC (04-04-2023), Mikey K (06-29-2023), TUD (06-28-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 PM
GTS2022
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Can you please share complete pictures of your setup. Thank you
Old 03-24-2023, 12:05 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Not much to show other than the Comfort Eyelet cable coming off the positive battery post, with the ground attaching to a bolt on the strut tower (lower left corner of photo) and not the negative battery terminal. I then have a Comfort Extension cable running from the car's upper hood opening on the passenger side and back to my CTEK charger which is mounted on the wall. This allows me to close the hood.

I will try and post some pics later today.
See below:

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 03-24-2023 at 02:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
johnohara (07-15-2023), KLOC (04-04-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:37 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Not much to show other than the Comfort Eyelet cable coming off the positive battery post, with the ground attaching to a bolt on the strut tower (lower left corner of photo) and not the negative battery terminal. I then have a Comfort Extension cable running from the car's upper hood opening on the passenger side and back to my CTEK charger which is mounted on the wall. This allows me to close the hood.

I will try and post some pics later today.
See below:

Your install was so simple, I did the same thing. To insure good contact, I used a little dialectic grease on the bolt threads. The standard eyelet connector is too short to get past the cowl riser, but the optional one is (barely). I can now access with the frunk closed, which is a major point. If the battery dies, I can plug in with car locked and frunk closed and use the CTEK recovery mode. Hopefully, I'll never have to do that.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:07 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
Your install was so simple, I did the same thing. To insure good contact, I used a little dialectic grease on the bolt threads. The standard eyelet connector is too short to get past the cowl riser, but the optional one is (barely). I can now access with the frunk closed, which is a major point. If the battery dies, I can plug in with car locked and frunk closed and use the CTEK recovery mode. Hopefully, I'll never have to do that.
This looks fantastic gentlemen. How do you insulate or run the ctek wire management that stays connected to your battery, and prevent rattles or what not when driving?
Old 03-24-2023, 10:31 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by vg247
This looks fantastic gentlemen. How do you insulate or run the ctek wire management that stays connected to your battery, and prevent rattles or what not when driving?
The wire runs are so short rattles are not an issue. I'll post photos soon. The only problem I've had so far is the velcro attachment isn't sticking to the CTEK attachment (the first install did). I'll be working on the ultimate solution, for me at least. There's another one around that uses an aftermarket connector in the intake area. You might Google that one as well.
vg247 (03-24-2023)

Quick Reply: CTEK battery maintainer