Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 09:22 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh, i cant wait for the 992.2 vs the .1's with the defense led by the 200+ poster forum members.
They've already fired their first shot with the anti digital tach rhetoric.
I for one am looking forward to Nicks video on the topic.....
Old 01-17-2023, 09:33 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

I view this forum as entertainment - long ago stopped looking for objective (or even subjective) facts.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by papa-p
All Nick is really trying to say is: build the Homer Simpson car of your dreams. Is that really so controversial?

Just look at this lovely Python Green Carrera GTS:

Ya, but those pool ladder side skirts tho…think I could get those on my S or too poser?
Old 01-17-2023, 10:53 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yep, pretty much.

I’ve been on this forum for about 2+ years now, and over that time, I’m still baffled by the number of grown men (mostly) that feel they need to seek the affirmation, or confirmation - from complete strangers - that their build, their choice of car or options is perfect. It’s like a bunch of teenage girls who need to be assured of something. Just cracks me up. 😂

We have become a society, where people can’t decide for themselves, but need, no, crave the affirmation of the collective group before they can make a decision. 😳 And not just cars. I know several folks who can’t even decide, on their own, on who to vote for unless their “Facebook friends” agree on who to vote for. Just so pathetic.

PEOPLE: Nick Murray is one person. One opinion. Make your own and be happy.

This! And I have never done facebook. Do you……
Old 01-17-2023, 11:11 PM
Jrs146
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 36 Posts

Can i ask where your picture is from? Italy?
It’s Venice. Here’s the full version.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jrs146:
aggie57 (01-17-2023), Spiffx (01-17-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:58 AM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

…to put the aero kit, or not put the aero kit on your GTS, THAT is the question!!

Joking aside, Nick Murray seems to be a very fine man and I sure hope to have the chance to meet him in person at some point.
The following users liked this post:
bluelines1974 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 02:49 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Nick Murray is famous for saying the S is the greatest thing since sliced bread and every other model (which is out of his price range) is either not worth it, not better enough than an S or too much money. It’s a broken record at this point. He’s an S fan boy because it fits his price bracket. There’s nothing wrong with that, but the issue is that he says his opinion without acknowledging that his main argument is price. When comparing which two cars are better, you can’t really factor in price because, well, price has nothing to do with what the car actually does/is.

I don’t even watch his videos anymore because he doesn’t even drive his cars at 10/10 and he cares about things that I don’t care about. The S is great as with every 992 model, but no sane person is taking a S over a GTS or turbo if money is not an issue
CanAutM3 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:59 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
Oh, i cant wait for the 992.2 vs the .1's with the defense led by the 200+ poster forum members.
They've already fired their first shot with the anti digital tach rhetoric.
Well, if you’re just gonna lay bait out like that I will gladly take it …

Can it really be considered rhetoric if there’s so much evidence proving it to be factual? Digital instrument clusters from Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, etc. look like they’re copied from a PS3 video game with their anthropomorphic shading, inelegant fonts, poor layout, and primary school color palettes. The digital speedometer is the cheapest looking thing* in the whole 992 cabin, why would you want your tach to look like that? Car interiors ultimately become less special as screens replace physical elements.

* not counting the sunshade warning labels and passenger airbag light
Vicbastige (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 08:14 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
Nick Murray is famous for saying the S is the greatest thing since sliced bread and every other model (which is out of his price range) is either not worth it, not better enough than an S or too much money. It’s a broken record at this point. He’s an S fan boy because it fits his price bracket. There’s nothing wrong with that, but the issue is that he says his opinion without acknowledging that his main argument is price. When comparing which two cars are better, you can’t really factor in price because, well, price has nothing to do with what the car actually does/is.

I don’t even watch his videos anymore because he doesn’t even drive his cars at 10/10 and he cares about things that I don’t care about. The S is great as with every 992 model, but no sane person is taking a S over a GTS or turbo if money is not an issue
I think you have to take the Turbo out of the conversation when comparing these cars on the basis of price. Those cars drive very differently and have very different market prices/availability.

IMO, the GTS vs S question comes down to a couple of things.

-Availability. Not many people have equal opportunity to own either car. You can get an S or a GTS, but most people really don't get to pick. So you have a debate with people who didn't have a choice in which car they got. For some people, there's going to be rationalization going on with that.

-Value. Practically speaking, anyone who can't afford a GTS, cannot afford an S. The delta in price is far too close, you're talking about maybe a 5-10% difference in price? If you're cutting it that close to not being to afford a GTS, then you can't afford an S. I think the issue for some people is value. I agree with you - objectively speaking the GTS is superior to the S. There is no real reason to pick an S over a GTS, with all things being equal. Yeah the GTS is "stiffer" and "louder" but I seriously doubt it's meaningfully different.

But the cars don't cost the same and some people balk at paying more for what is an incremental difference that they may not appreciate. Personally, the FOMO would drive me nuts, but I suspect some people feel that there is a law of diminishing returns and they'd prefer to spend that money elsewhere.

If it was me and I had a choice - I'd go GTS. From a purely financial aspect, the GTS has better resale which offsets some of the initial price delta and I always try to go for the best model option I can afford, even if the difference is subtle. But I also suspect the differences are overblown and a lot of it is media hype.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-18-2023 at 08:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
jjaisli (01-18-2023), Jrs146 (01-19-2023), TheGeneral (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:06 AM
jjaisli
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
IMO, the GTS vs S question comes down to a couple of things...
I think this makes a lot of sense. I originally put a deposit on a GT4 in Dec of 2019. My goal was European Delivery. In the late spring of 2020, the dealer told me they should be able to get me a GT4 by the fall but European Delivery looked doubtful due to Covid restrictions. And I had decided in the meantime to keep my 981 Cayman S and figured I could push everything off for a year and changed the order to a GT3. Flash ahead 1 & 1/2 years later, to the fall of 2021 and I realized, no matter how long I waited there was no way I was going to get a GT3 at MSRP. I knew from the beginning that I would likely have to pay over sticker, but $75K+ over just seemed like madness. I just wasn't going to play in that sandbox. I wasn't buying the car as an investment, I wanted to keep the GT3 long term (at LEAST 5 years, probably more) but I figured once we were passed the Covid economy and supply chain issues, people who were paying these crazy ADMs and not immediately flipping were going to get hosed. And I couldn't shake the feeling like the ADM was just flushing money down the toilet.

So I gave up and told the dealer to change my order to a Carrera S, manual, with just a few select options. But factory delivery was a must, It's something I'd had on my bucket list for a long time. That dragged on for almost 6 months and during a conversation with the dealer in April of 2022, he mentioned that most 911 allocations were just trickling in, but on the side he mentioned that they had just gotten 3 GTS allocations, unasked for. I decided right then that if they would give me one, I'd take it. And I ended up configuring the car exactly how I wanted it. And somewhat close to how I would have configured the S.

The additional power, it's nice, probably not really necessary or noticeable but you're not going to say "no". The larger brakes are a plus. I have a dedicated track car but I'll probably put the GTS on track from time to time. I think the centerlock wheels are just a PITA but I read somewhere that they are 4-lbs less than the next lightest wheel option. That kind of unsprung weight advantage is a huge plus.

So all this to say, I don't really have a dog in the S vs GTS fight. And I think it's a bit silly. I'm getting a GTS because one was available and an S wasn't. And both cars were configured similarly. I may still decide to trade it in for a 992.2 GT3. But in the interim, or long term, I probably would have been just as happy with the S. For me, value does certainly play a part. But it was less about the cost of the car, feature for feature and more about market adjustment cost and potential loss. We all have a number we can afford and a number we're willing to pay and a line we're just not willing to cross. For me, I wanted a GT3 but it was already flirting with a number I wasn't willing to cross. And the ADMs most dealers were asking just crossed that line for me. If an S had been available, I would have taken it and would not have lamented not getting a GTS. They're effectively the same car.

Last edited by jjaisli; 01-18-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:18 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

I would choose the S because I don’t like the sport design rear, and for the heritage design interior option, among other things. As others have pointed out, it’s unlikely you can afford an S if you can’t afford a GTS. Depending on the digital dash look, and other tweaks, I may end up swapping my 992.1 T for a 992.2 S, provided PTS comes back.

I do agree that any price premium for the GTS is probably offset by lower depreciation, but either way we are talking about a very expensive discretionary purchase. Maybe a very small segment are stretching themselves to get an S and couldn’t stretch the extra few thousand for a GTS, but this seems generally very unlikely.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
aggie57 (01-18-2023), doug_999 (02-04-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:46 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
I would choose the S because I don’t like the sport design rear, and for the heritage design interior option, among other things. As others have pointed out, it’s unlikely you can afford an S if you can’t afford a GTS. Depending on the digital dash look, and other tweaks, I may end up swapping my 992.1 T for a 992.2 S, provided PTS comes back.

I do agree that any price premium for the GTS is probably offset by lower depreciation, but either way we are talking about a very expensive discretionary purchase. Maybe a very small segment are stretching themselves to get an S and couldn’t stretch the extra few thousand for a GTS, but this seems generally very unlikely.
Regardless of the aesthetics of the sport design rear fascia (many do not like….which I understand), buyers should be aware that the sport design allows greater airflow over the intercoolers. Disappointing that this fact is not highlighted or discussed on the configurator or by Porsche. It is, however, discussed at the do88 website. If at a Porsche meet, carefully inspect the two rear bumpers and you will notice the aerodynamic difference.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I’ve been on this forum for about 2+ years now, and over that time, I’m still baffled by the number of grown men (mostly) that feel they need to seek the affirmation, or confirmation - from complete strangers - that their build, their choice of car or options is perfect. It’s like a bunch of teenage girls who need to be assured of something. Just cracks me up. 😂
Old 01-18-2023, 09:55 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

This whole argument is subjective because it is option based. I knew exactly what options I wanted and did not want. Using the configurator, the price of a 2022 992S with exact options I wanted is same price as a 2023 Carrera T (just now available) with most of my desired options but a few unavailable on the T. The price for a 2022 GTS was $10,000 more than the S with all options I wanted but GTS had some options I did not want. SO FOR ME, the 992S was the best choice. YOUR RESULTS will vary because you most likely want different options. Nick had nothing to do with my decision.

However, there are some options I declined based on technical reviews, problems and comments by members of this forum.

Last edited by Fullyield; 01-18-2023 at 10:02 AM.
doug_999 (02-04-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 01:41 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

The primary thing for me are the options.

The options I want are available with an S derivative, e.g. manual transmission, and with GTS I get other options baked-in that I don’t want, like lowered suspension, etc.

However, if I was in the market for GTS-level specs I would pref to take GTS, as trade-in/resale value is calculated on a base price of the derivative, before the options, so on the GTS one would lose less value.

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS