Sponsored by:

New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 05:52 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
While I tend to agree with you, it’s kinda sad that people don’t care about the performance of their performance cars. Way more content here about leather this and stitching that.
I see it in every gear-based activity that I enjoy - cars, mountain bikes, guitars, etc. People pursue gear that has proven itself at the highest levels in the hands of pros even if they never intend to push said gear past 10% of its true capability. They like being able to tell themselves (and others?) that if needed, they could put their car in Group D at an HPDE, race EWS at Finale, or get up onstage with John Mayer. Or that if it can handle the abuse from the pros, it will have no problem with what an average Joe will do to it.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:49 PM
Fcassells
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 93 Posts

I’m 52 years old and own a 992 GTS, I thoroughly enjoy Nicks videos and have no erectile dysfunction. It’s a win across the board. 😂
The following 4 users liked this post by Fcassells:
doug_999 (02-04-2023), jtsrenn (01-22-2023), Stespa (01-23-2023), Triathlonkid (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
The other issue with Nick Murray’s review was the acceleration test. He didn’t show any Dragy or verifiable times from the S and GTS. All he did was do a 2nd gear pull in sport mode (not sport plus) where the GTS lost traction at the beginning and then proceeded to say “there’s no noticeable difference between the two”. Even if you don’t notice a difference, if you run both in the 1/4 mile the GTS will be faster 100%.

this video was a hit piece against the GTS. When my GTS arrives I will race it against my friends S and show Nick he is full of it.
someone needs to do it. Not sure why all the media lap dogs are too scared? Seems like an easy thing to put together.
I suppose that there is not enough hype for the Carrera S and GTS online for the influencers to get enough views. People would rather see a GT3 vs gt3rs or a m4csl vs m5cs etc.
Honestly, if anyone is basing their purchase decision between an S and GTS based on 0-60 times, or any straight line acceleration metrics (be it 1/4, trap times, etc.), they need to rethink their decision making process.

And this is probably true for every iteration of the 911 range, not just the S and GTS.

I mean, seriously, let's say hypothetically the GTS turns out to be 0.1 seconds faster than a comparably equipped S from 0-60, so what?

Does that mean the GTS is better than the S? Hardly.

Does that mean one should buy the GTS instead of the S? Don't be silly.

All it means is that the GTS is theoretically faster than the S in a straight line. I stress theoretically.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-22-2023 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
doug_999 (02-04-2023), Fullyield (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:54 PM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Honestly, if anyone is basing their purchase decision between an S and GTS based on 0-60 times, or any straight line acceleration metrics (be it 1/4, trap times, etc.), they need to rethink their decision making process.

And this is probably true for every iteration of the 911 range, not just the S and GTS.

I mean, seriously, let's say hypothetically the GTS turns out to be 0.1 seconds faster than a comparably equipped S from 0-60, so what?

All it means is that the GTS is theoretically faster than the S in a straight line. I stress theoretically.
I chose the GTS because it has better handling, cooler wheels, Alcántara gt3 interior, louder exhaust inside and outside the car, the ability to get lightweight package (although now that’s not available for some reason), bigger brakes and rotors, all for 4K more than a similarly optioned C2S. The GTS is the one to go with if you don’t cheaply option your S
Old 01-22-2023, 07:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

…and easily compensated by 100+ HP tune, or other mods…that end up being more cost effective…..if all you’re looking for is straight line acceleration.

Don’t be fooled into thinking just because you have a certain badge on the back of your car, you’re king of the street. You might get humiliated.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I chose the GTS because it has better handling, cooler wheels, Alcántara gt3 interior, louder exhaust inside and outside the car, the ability to get lightweight package (although now that’s not available for some reason), bigger brakes and rotors, all for 4K more than a similarly optioned C2S. The GTS is the one to go with if you don’t cheaply option your S
Our you just don't want that stuff, or want options you can't get on a GTS. Nothing to do with cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 08:02 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

0-60 times are soooooo over-rated.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:40 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
0-60 times are soooooo over-rated.

I always thought the whole “launch control” thing, to get the best times, was so artificial…anyway. Does anybody actually do that from a stop light? 🥱

Prefer the EV way, of just mashing the accelerator peddle and away you go. Zoom. ⏩

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-22-2023 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:42 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

While I tend to agree with you, it’s kinda sad that people don’t care about the performance of their performance cars. Way more content here about leather this and stitching that.

It’s kinda like not caring if someone put cloth seats in your Bentley and focusing on it’s 0-60 while complaining the ride is too soft.
haha well.. I care about performance but don't care THAT much about performance. I definitely care about leather and what's inside the car...that's what I touch everyday. And when I drive on a daily basis the performance is hardly any thought because I don't get to floor the car during 95% of the daily commute either way. I don't think it's sad that many owners value performance as much as comfort. I'm just want a nice car and don't want to suffer comfort-wise while being in it.
papa-p (01-24-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:43 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I always thought the whole “launch control” thing, to get the best times, was so artificial…anyway. Does anybody actually do that from a stop light? 🥱

Prefer the EV way, of just mashing the accelerator peddle and away you go. Zoom. ⏩
I don't even know how to launch but when the car gets here I'll try it and probably never do it again lol
aggie57 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 12:10 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

Agreed, every time.

And I reckon if we put our P2's up against my manual 992 the P2 would get to 60mph consistently quicker even though on paper the 992S mit manual is .1 second faster.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:40 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
I don't even know how to launch but when the car gets here I'll try it and probably never do it again lol
Select Sport Plus in Sport Chrono, left foot brake or clutch in, rev to 4k, release brake or dump clutch.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:14 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
Select Sport Plus in Sport Chrono, left foot brake or clutch in, rev to 4k, release brake or dump clutch.
That is not how to do it in a manual.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:22 AM
jjaisli
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

I disagree. It's not necessarily about "bragging rights". Porsche charges a premium for the 911 GTS over the S and the engine supposedly makes an extra 30-hp and 30-lbs of torque, or there abouts. I would be interested in both a dyno test and real world standing stop and rolling acceleration test of both cars. Is the GTS really making that much more power? How much is that power worth? How much of a difference does it make? Is it making the power but due to increased lag, is it just not able to put it down efficiently enough? An apples to apples comparison with a PDK vs PDK, similarly equipped S and GTS on the same tires during the same conditions would certainly pique my interest.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaisli
I disagree. It's not necessarily about "bragging rights". Porsche charges a premium for the 911 GTS over the S and the engine supposedly makes an extra 30-hp and 30-lbs of torque, or there abouts. I would be interested in both a dyno test and real world standing stop and rolling acceleration test of both cars. Is the GTS really making that much more power? How much is that power worth? How much of a difference does it make? Is it making the power but due to increased lag, is it just not able to put it down efficiently enough? An apples to apples comparison with a PDK vs PDK, similarly equipped S and GTS on the same tires during the same conditions would certainly pique my interest.
100% agree. The performance testing matters to a lot of people on the fence about the performance improvements made to the GTS over the S. I'm not a big "input" guy. Big brakes, more power, etc. all pieces of the puzzle. I want to know what the puzzle looks like when it's all put together. I can see the visual elements, but a back to back on the same day is the only real way to highlight the performance benefits.

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS