Sponsored by:

Resetting the Oil Maintenance Remnder with the AUTEL MK808 Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 02:39 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Seems crazy that you’d need a tool to reset the TPMS.
Seems even more crazy to me, that you need a tool like this to reset the Maintenance Minders.
But, yes, it is good that the TPMS system resets as it does on our Porsche's.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:45 PM
BKAT
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
There is always oil left in any system. I could have lowered the car down easily, but the drain plug is to the front of the pan so in my mind it would get a better drain vs flat. I don't personally feel all the old oil has to come out, I've never had a car or truck or motorcycle fail due to oil systems not being fully drained and I doubt anyone has. On the old 993 series it was classified as "air-cooled" when in reality it was oil-cooled. That car had oil passages running all the way up to the front of the car for cooling and then back to the sump in the engine, there was no way you could ever get the oil all the way out in that 10 quart system. 992's have 8 liters or 8.5 quarts as the factory spec, so it relies on some oil cooling as well when you have that kind of capacity. There may be around a quart left in the engine on any oil change is my guess. If you read through this thread Blue Highways put in over 10 quarts on his, I did around 7.5 qts. on mine..
I changed my oil for the first time a few months ago at about 2.5k miles. I couldn’t find a definitive answer to the quantity required so I stopped by a local Porsche dealer to buy the oil, drain plug and filter. The service guy sold me 9 quarts of oil after giving him my VIN (I have a ‘22 GTS). While there, I chatted with a mechanic for a while and he told my that because of the flat engine design, these cars don’t drain out as easily as a V or straight engine. He said Porsche tells them to let it drain for about an hour. As for quantity of oil, he said the best thing to do is to measure the amount that comes out and replace with the same.
So, I jacked one side, pulled the drain plug, then let it drain while flat on the ground for about 30-40 min while I was replacing the filter. I measured out 8.6 quarts and replaced with the same. No problems and the oil level displays perfectly full
Old 03-13-2023, 02:22 PM
Mact
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheClouds
For any others like me that already has the Autel MK808 and the software update subscription has lapsed -- looks like they are currently doing $50 discount on a 1 year renewal. Sale is Nov 16-25.

Comes out to $100 after the discount. I'll buy the renewal later this week as my 1 year oil light actually just came on.
Hi. Does this mean one has to pay for the yearly subscription to keep the unit working for resetting the oil light ? Hope not. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Mact
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Z911
Quick question, if I swap wheels do I need MK808TS to program new sensors? Won’t the car recognize the new sensors on its own?
No need for the scanner. The car did on its own and then the driver to confirm after 15-min driving. Changed out to the winter tires on my 2022 Cayenne.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:42 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Mact
Hi. Does this mean one has to pay for the yearly subscription to keep the unit working for resetting the oil light ? Hope not. Thanks.
No once you download, you are good with the 992. The only way you would need to pay more/again - would be if you buy the next version of the 911 - then you would have to wait for it to be included in a SW update, and pay for the 1 year subscription again to get that new version...
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
Bluehighways (03-14-2023), Fullyield (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 07:02 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mact
Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
No once you download, you are good with the 992. The only way you would need to pay more/again - would be if you buy the next version of the 911 - then you would have to wait for it to be included in a SW update, and pay for the 1 year subscription again to get that new version...
Just confirming what Richard already said. You only need to pay for an update IF the Autel is not capable of the function you need as of the current software update on the unit (i.e. your car is newer than the software). The Autel will be fully functional with the installed software otherwise. This was also something I was not certain of before purchasing.

(That was my scenario: I bought my Autel MK808BT back in 2018 for my Macan and it did not support resetting the maintenance light on the 992, as that is well after my final/free 2019 software update.)
Old 10-20-2023, 03:28 AM
odautel
1st Gear

Very good advice

Quick Reply: Resetting the Oil Maintenance Remnder with the AUTEL MK808 Scan Tool