992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting the Oil Maintenance Remnder with the AUTEL MK808 Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022 | 12:46 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

I think by the time my car is out of warranty there will be a coding-capable scan tool economically feasible for the DIY-er.
I don't believe it's possible to code out the Start/Stop feature. All new model cars have it.
Old 11-29-2022 | 01:01 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garthg
I think by the time my car is out of warranty there will be a coding-capable scan tool economically feasible for the DIY-er.
I don't believe it's possible to code out the Start/Stop feature. All new model cars have it.
pretty sure the m-engineering tune can disable stop/start
Old 11-29-2022 | 01:08 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garthg
I can code out the Start/Stop on my 2021 Cayenne GTS, but not my '21 992 S, the Autel model I have works on VINs and its not supported for the 992 VIN. One would think that if you can code it out for same year Cayenne it would be applicable for the 992, but I can't get mine to accept it.

FYI my 2022 Ford Ranger has a Start/Stop Delete right on the window sticker, its gone on that truck and yet the 2021's had it.

That is the WORST function ever mandated in a vehicle since they did the automatic seat belts back in the 1980's....I hate it.
Old 11-29-2022 | 04:30 PM
lone992
Instructor

Thanks for the oil change tips! Just curious, with the car not being level, do you think maybe some old oil was left in the system?
Old 11-29-2022 | 04:49 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

There is always oil left in any system. I could have lowered the car down easily, but the drain plug is to the front of the pan so in my mind it would get a better drain vs flat. I don't personally feel all the old oil has to come out, I've never had a car or truck or motorcycle fail due to oil systems not being fully drained and I doubt anyone has. On the old 993 series it was classified as "air-cooled" when in reality it was oil-cooled. That car had oil passages running all the way up to the front of the car for cooling and then back to the sump in the engine, there was no way you could ever get the oil all the way out in that 10 quart system. 992's have 8 liters or 8.5 quarts as the factory spec, so it relies on some oil cooling as well when you have that kind of capacity. There may be around a quart left in the engine on any oil change is my guess. If you read through this thread Blue Highways put in over 10 quarts on his, I did around 7.5 qts. on mine..

The following users liked this post:
lone992 (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022 | 05:21 PM
lone992
Instructor

Thanks, understand now why you didn't level the car.
Old 11-30-2022 | 09:39 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

There is a difference between a first time factory oil fill and an oil change refill as above representative chart indicates. Some residual oil remains in the nooks and crannies of the engine during an oil change. That is one of the reasons to fill to less than recommended amount and then top off 1/2 quart at a time.

Last edited by Fullyield; 11-30-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2022 | 09:00 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Just an update - Had my first year 2022 targa 4S free oil change by the dealer. Told them not to reset the service indicator as I wanted to try the new Auto MK808Z TS scanner that I just got, and will use on my next oil change (which I will do). Got the service done, brought it home, hooked up the Autel scanner, took about 5 minutes to learn the navigation, and had it reset in no time - works great!

Really easy and simple - I opted for the BlueTooth and the TPMS options (so paid around 500 usd on cyber monday sale). Worked fine, very quick and easy. The TPMS also worked great, I have a few land rovers, and every time you switch winters, there is always an error of not recognizing one or more of the tires. Hooked it up, did a quick reset/relearn, had the winters on and calibrated on an LR4 in no time.

Nice unit - and fairly quick with the downloads (you have to download a lot) - probably only took 30-40 minutes (I decided to download every car make/model).
BKAT (12-26-2022)
Old 12-09-2022 | 09:19 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Don’t download everything, you will run out of internal storage.
Old 12-09-2022 | 09:52 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Just an update - Had my first year 2022 targa 4S free oil change by the dealer. Told them not to reset the service indicator as I wanted to try the new Auto MK808Z TS scanner that I just got, and will use on my next oil change (which I will do). Got the service done, brought it home, hooked up the Autel scanner, took about 5 minutes to learn the navigation, and had it reset in no time - works great!

Really easy and simple - I opted for the BlueTooth and the TPMS options (so paid around 500 usd on cyber monday sale). Worked fine, very quick and easy. The TPMS also worked great, I have a few land rovers, and every time you switch winters, there is always an error of not recognizing one or more of the tires. Hooked it up, did a quick reset/relearn, had the winters on and calibrated on an LR4 in no time.

Nice unit - and fairly quick with the downloads (you have to download a lot) - probably only took 30-40 minutes (I decided to download every car make/model).
+1 as my experience same as Richard’s. I only downloaded for the vehicles I own. Worked great on my Tacoma and wife’s Cayenne. But, I did purchase a 32 GB micro SD card on Amazon for $10 and expanded my internal storage. Why not for only $10, right?

Last edited by Fullyield; 12-09-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2022 | 10:37 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
The one I got has 64GB, and you can add additional storage for just a few dollars with a microSD card.

PS. I downloaded all and it was much less than 32gb, - now if you are storing logs, etc. then you might need to expand if you have 32gb and want to store a ton of historical information.
Old 12-09-2022 | 12:16 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this information. Incidentally, I removed the stock wheels and installed my winter wheels last week. I followed the procedure in the OM for resetting the TPMS. All I had to do was drive the car a couple of miles, and they all reset without issue. Perhaps there was a software update for the 22 cars. Seems crazy that you’d need a tool to reset the TPMS.
Old 12-09-2022 | 12:25 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Thanks for this information. Incidentally, I removed the stock wheels and installed my winter wheels last week. I followed the procedure in the OM for resetting the TPMS. All I had to do was drive the car a couple of miles, and they all reset without issue. Perhaps there was a software update for the 22 cars. Seems crazy that you’d need a tool to reset the TPMS.
Sorry you must have missed in my post - my 992 winters are simple - just go into the PCM, drive a few minutes and you are good.

I have a few other cars namely Landrovers, have huge issues when switching tires and getting the TPMS to recognize. I used my new tool when I switched out my Land Rover Tires - not my porsches.
Old 12-09-2022 | 05:34 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Sorry you must have missed in my post - my 992 winters are simple - just go into the PCM, drive a few minutes and you are good.

I have a few other cars namely Landrovers, have huge issues when switching tires and getting the TPMS to recognize. I used my new tool when I switched out my Land Rover Tires - not my porsches.

I did. Sorry, I thought you meant your Land Rover and you 992. Thanks for clarifying.
Richard_Wallace (12-09-2022)
Old 12-10-2022 | 02:36 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Not even close to consuming the 64GB installed memory. I loaded everything and I've still got close to 30GB free space, IMHO, for a DIYer, that's way more than enough. If I were using it in a commercial repair facility, I'd install/use an SD Card to save any and all vehicle test data and customer records that I wanted to keep on file or to share with the customer.

Quick Reply: Resetting the Oil Maintenance Remnder with the AUTEL MK808 Scan Tool