Sponsored by:

Resetting the Oil Maintenance Remnder with the AUTEL MK808 Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 08:28 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
It comes loaded with all the operating system software. Most of what you're downloading is the data that allows the operating software to talk to the cars. Since this data is constantly being updated by each manufacturer as they bring out new models and options, you really want any Scan Tool manufacturer to do things this way.
Makes sense, there's a reason i never worked for Microsoft...
thanks
Old 11-16-2022, 11:23 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

It will update all of its files, for all vehicles, for one year at no additional cost. (I'm sure that "cost" is baked into the purchase price of the tool.) If you have a wireless network it can log on to an AUTEL website and it can download the files for every vehicle you know and many you've probably never heard of. One advantage to the MK808S is that this download takes maybe a half an hour, where-as the MK808 takes more like 5 or 6 hours. In any case, once it's done any additional updates seem to take a few minutes at best. The only reason I downloaded every file that was available, is if I was to ever sell the tool, I figure it'd be best if it'd work on whatever car(s) the buyer has.
I received my MK808 TS yesterday. I ordered it from an online seller, Autelshop.US. I thought it was the official Autel distributor, but when payment went through, it was all in Chinese.
But anyway, I got a good price, and it was shipped in two days from New Jersey.
Setup was easy, connected to Autel and updated the software. There were updates for every car brand I'd ever heard of, and many Chinese brands I hadn't heard of. (I didn't know Borgward was now a Chinese brand).
I was able to reset the oil maintenance alert easily as noted above.
Curiously, when I ran a full scan, I found a bunch of DTCs, ("passive/sporadic") which appear to relate to some data miscommunication I wasn't aware of about 400 miles ago. Also, there was a DTC while the car was still speaking German, so that must have been set before delivery in Atlanta last year.
I'll be interested to see if any of these DTCs return. I have noticed no fault driving the car.

I did accidentally pull the emergency brake once on the freeway and there were a lot of bonging noises and flashes on the screen. I wonder if that had anything to do with the errors.

Last edited by garthg; 11-16-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:34 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

The German DTC translates, as well as I could do with Google: Tire temp. display system switch-off stage 2 - signal interface: tire temperature.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:18 AM
4carl
Race Car

Is the MK808TS the same as the MK808S with the addition of a Bluetooth connection? Thanks
Old 11-17-2022, 07:06 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Is the MK808TS the same as the MK808S with the addition of a Bluetooth connection? Thanks
same question. Also, suggestions on the best place to purchase one of these tools?

Will it also register a service entry in the PCM?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:55 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
No. The TS includes also the ability to do TPMS sensors. I'm not sure yet of all of its capabilities. It does have a BlueTooth dongle which stores on the back of the device. I don't know whether it will register service in the PCM. There's a lot to learn with this thing.

Last edited by garthg; 11-17-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:41 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by garthg
No. The TS includes also the ability to do TPMS sensors. I'm not sure yet of all of its capabilities. It does have a BlueTooth dongle which stores on the back of the device. I don't know whether it will register service in the PCM. There's a lot to learn with this thing.
my main concern is that the TS runs as fast as the S and resets the oil light and the other codes?.Thanks
Old 11-17-2022, 07:04 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

For any others like me that already has the Autel MK808 and the software update subscription has lapsed -- looks like they are currently doing $50 discount on a 1 year renewal. Sale is Nov 16-25.

Comes out to $100 after the discount. I'll buy the renewal later this week as my 1 year oil light actually just came on.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:31 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheClouds
For any others like me that already has the Autel MK808 and the software update subscription has lapsed -- looks like they are currently doing $50 discount on a 1 year renewal. Sale is Nov 16-25.

Comes out to $100 after the discount. I'll buy the renewal later this week as my 1 year oil light actually just came on.
Unless you have bought a new car (date it was manufactured) since you last updated your MK808, it will still work just fine on any car built prior to its last update.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:44 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Yea I've had the MK808 since 2018, for my Macan. So I am well out of the included software update window for the 992 unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:02 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

But, not everyone has easy access to a chimp. With the possible exception of Nick Murray, of course.
There's a difference between primates. Gorillas are gentle and nice. Chimps are more like humans, contentious and mean.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:31 AM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
Quick question, if I swap wheels do I need MK808TS to program new sensors? Won’t the car recognize the new sensors on its own?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:01 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z911
Quick question, if I swap wheels do I need MK808TS to program new sensors? Won’t the car recognize the new sensors on its own?
Assuming your swapped wheels also have OEM sensors in them -- you do not need any special tool to "program" the sensors. You can simply do it through the center console PCM under vehicle settings. When you select a wheel and tire size under the TPMS menu, it'll trigger a re-detect of sensors in each wheel. Need to drive over 15mph for about 5-10 min and everything should automatically sync up.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:05 PM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

Assuming your swapped wheels also have OEM sensors in them -- you do not need any special tool to "program" the sensors. You can simply do it through the center console PCM under vehicle settings. When you select a wheel and tire size under the TPMS menu, it'll trigger a re-detect of sensors in each wheel. Need to drive over 15mph for about 5-10 min and everything should automatically sync up.
That’s exactly what I’m doing. Swapping with winter wheels and OEM TPMS. Thank you for saving me $700. So why are people buying the TS models?
Old 11-19-2022, 01:02 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

You don't really need the renewal unless you want to buy a vehicle not currently in your garage, If you have everything for your 992 now, then do a download before your term expires and you will be good to go until you buy a newer vehicle. I have no intention of renewing mine for that reason, its not needed for simple stuff and if it already works for what is in your garage.

BTW, you can also turn off the stupid START/STOP on the 992's which I will do next month when I do my annual oil service. There is a thread over in the Cayenne forum how to do that.

Quick Reply: Resetting the Oil Maintenance Remnder with the AUTEL MK808 Scan Tool