Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 05:22 AM
SicEmBears
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem. I did have to wait a bit since it was backordered., Otherwise they replaced the windshield without any fuss.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:36 PM
Obelix1001
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem - Porsche is aware

I just took my car for this exact same problem. The dealership provided in writing that Porsche NA is aware of the problem. They are working on a fix. They instructed the dealer to do nothing until a fix is issued. No timeline given.

I’m very disappointed there is no current fix. The windshield looks terrible. Like it’s crying black inky oil. Furthermore I’m worried if that’s part of the water penetration protection, that water could inside where I can’t see and cause a major issue.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:41 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Obelix1001
I just took my car for this exact same problem. The dealership provided in writing that Porsche NA is aware of the problem. They are working on a fix. They instructed the dealer to do nothing until a fix is issued. No timeline given.

I’m very disappointed there is no current fix. The windshield looks terrible. Like it’s crying black inky oil. Furthermore I’m worried if that’s part of the water penetration protection, that water could inside where I can’t see and cause a major issue.
Not sure what they mean with "fix". Porsche dealers replaced windshields all over the country for some time now. The outer sealent/goog that breaks down is apparently not part of the actual water seal - I don't think you need fo worry about water intrusion.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (09-21-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 12:39 AM
Jockey
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

That’s odd. I got my windshield replaced a month ago for this very issue.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:20 AM
911newguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

That is odd - my dealer acted a bit perplexed, but called me the next day to schedule the replacement. New one goes in next week (USA).

Last edited by 911newguy; 09-22-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:06 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

It would help if people mentioned what country they’re in on this topic; warranty is a distributor specific thing and hence differs country to country.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:45 PM
Obelix1001
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer No Fix available

Hey guys,

Just took mine in for the melting windshield and infamous crickets sound.

1. no fix available - Porsche is aware of the issue and working on a fix.
2. crickets sounds normal. This is how it’s supposed to sound. (Not good in imo)

MontBlanc911 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:48 AM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 268 Posts

Which dealerships are replacing under warranty? Hopefully in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Tennessee
Old 09-27-2023, 07:10 PM
jcwillr
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just got mine back. The new windshield does not have what looked like 'caulking' to melt like the original did around its circumference.. There is a rubber gasket showing in it's place. The flush seal by the caulk between the windshield and the body as original is gone. The new gasket does not completely fill the gap. I guess I'll see how is goes in the next hard rain and if there is wind noise. MY 2020, delivered in 10/2019.
Is this like others who have had theirs replaced recently?
Old 09-27-2023, 08:57 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jcwillr
Just got mine back. The new windshield does not have what looked like 'caulking' to melt like the original did around its circumference.. There is a rubber gasket showing in it's place. The flush seal by the caulk between the windshield and the body as original is gone. The new gasket does not completely fill the gap. I guess I'll see how is goes in the next hard rain and if there is wind noise. MY 2020, delivered in 10/2019.
Is this like others who have had theirs replaced recently?
Pretty much same for my 2021 that got windshield replaced a couple of weeks ago. However my original windshield gasket looked exactly the same as the replacement, i.e. did not look like caulk but was a rubber gasket with a little lip. I think the original rubber just melted over time so it looked like caulk after it deteriorated.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
911newguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Replacement in progress

Out with the old:

Old 09-28-2023, 04:42 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newguy
Out with the old:

Yikes...that makes me cringe. Do the dealers acknowledge that the adhesives they are using will not melt again? Do they acknowledge that the compound is defective and specifically the new will solve the issue?

Also, it looks like there could be some potential for the dash to be loose or vibrate later?

Last edited by Autobacs; 09-28-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:24 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Yikes...that makes me cringe. Do the dealers acknowledge that the adhesives they are using will not melt again? Do they acknowledge that the compound is defective and specifically the new will solve the issue?

just a heads up, first dealer did acknowledge the defect…then after the first windshield replacement I had windnoise. Went to a second dealer to address windnoise, they wrote it up as “Distortion in windshield” for warranty claim purposes … I still have the windnoise issue, and decided to give up as it’s been more trouble and wasted time for me to come back for a third time.

The delaminating seal issue has been fixed however during both replacements. Both dealers outsourced the replacements fyi, although the claimed they did them in house.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:36 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
just a heads up, first dealer did acknowledge the defect…then after the first windshield replacement I had windnoise. Went to a second dealer to address windnoise, they wrote it up as “Distortion in windshield” for warranty claim purposes … I still have the windnoise issue, and decided to give up as it’s been more trouble and wasted time for me to come back for a third time.

The delaminating seal issue has been fixed however during both replacements. Both dealers outsourced the replacements fyi, although the claimed they did them in house.

The last thing we need is wind noise. Did they know where it was coming from? This is going to make me really hesitant to do the warranty work.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:58 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
The last thing we need is wind noise. Did they know where it was coming from? This is going to make me really hesitant to do the warranty work.
ON both windshield replacements, it’s coming from the top along the sun visor area. You’ll notice a whistling sound around 45-60 mph, once above that the noise drowns out at high speeds along with our innate engine sounds.

The personal decision for me to give up was because each time anyone touches our cars, they will one way or another scratch or damage some other place (paint, interior upholstery etc,) …and I enjoy the engine sounds enough that I said to myself eventually I’m not going to get obsessed over the wind noise. Had this been on a luxury sedan I wouldn’t let it go..

I do suggest getting the warranty work and replacing the delaminating rubber on the windshield however, as it will get worst for all the reasons reported on this issue. Hope you won’t get wind noise and a perfect job done, but even with the wind noise , do get yours replaced.

hope this feedback helps..
Autobacs (09-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?