Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 01:39 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexLou
Just noticed it on my 22’ Turbo S, I was wiping my windshield and saw the black glue melting on top my windshield trim. Pissed off and decided to search, sure enough it’s common thing.
That's surprising. My vague recollection is that the melting windshield trim plagues many of the 2020 992s, but the newer models figured out how to do it correctly. Are there other 2021 or 2022 owners also getting their windshields repaired under warranty?
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (08-22-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 02:02 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to the dealer today, the SA wasn’t even surprised, he just took a photo and told me it would be full windshield replacement.

now I’m not upset, since the couple nicks on the windshield is the only imperfection on the car, lol

btw, someone’s Sport classic just came in today, I’m so jealous…
Old 08-05-2023, 09:36 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

My 2022 992S had the same windshield spooge oozing problem.

My dealer happily replaced it under warranty.

Jason
Old 08-05-2023, 10:40 AM
jfb992
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
NO ... you are wrong here.

both of the right and left radiators are totally exposed at speeds and those plastics little g-strips they use to cover the radiators are NOT sufficient and don't close under conditions they should be. if you daily drive your 992 on todays roads and run your AC your radiators will get hit with objects other then bugs and it is a part of the car. if something hits it hard enough to break the radiator vent it can leak and cause cooling issues, which does make it is Porsche issue. it is indeed a design issue they should cover. granted, like everything Porsche the parts are not extremely expensive compared to other European car parts but labor is. regardless, Porsche should be way more open to hearing cases on this. Porsche should be more aware of this and i hope they will take a closer look at this matter in the future.

my 992 has just under 6K miles on it and both of my radiators look like they have been hit several times with rocks, etc. it is not as bad as others i have seen but still this is something Porsche really needs to take a closer look at.

the GTS has even less coverage then the C/CS which makes it easier to damage, which makes no sense to me (aside from getting more airflow into them, which again is a Porsche design).

paint chips, etc if you wash your car regularly you can stay on top of or have your detailer take care of and a few paint chips won't change the value of your car. a left radiator with a bird imprint can! not that it is all about value but really ... those radiators on the 992 are so exposed from the factory and if that is the case Porsche should either make them bullet proof or cover with a grill cover or cover under warranty in the event something happens to them.

good morning!
Having worked in the aluminum industry and a lot of time on heat exchanger products, the heat exchangers are designed to take some impact. However a large rock or other hard debris is going to create a puncture. I put the Zunsport grills on my year-round daily driver 2023 C2 with standard front facia. These will definitely stop the "planet killer' debris. I also think the look enhances the front of the car.

Old 08-05-2023, 12:17 PM
ritchieg
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

2021 911 had small rock crack in windshield, got longer, applied to insurance company took it to dealer to have it replaced. They called me and said the seal was bad and they replaced it under warranty. Definitely continue fighting to have it repaired by Porsche.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:20 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb992
Having worked in the aluminum industry and a lot of time on heat exchanger products, the heat exchangers are designed to take some impact. However a large rock or other hard debris is going to create a puncture. I put the Zunsport grills on my year-round daily driver 2023 C2 with standard front facia. These will definitely stop the "planet killer' debris. I also think the look enhances the front of the car.

thanks. i will order them right away. i should be ok …

Old 08-22-2023, 09:04 AM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
The rubber seal that you see is what it starts out looking like. On my 2020 C2S, over time, it went from being firm like rubber to extremely soft--it still had the same shape, as long as you didn't touch it. You could poke it with your fingernail and in some spots your nail would just cut into it like butter. Eventually, the entire seal became soft--it's just a defective material and degrades somehow. If you ran a rag along the soft areas, it would just turn into a smeary mess that then looks like caulk.
EXACTLY what's happening to mine. Crap.I gotta see the dealer before it becomes worse.

M
Old 09-06-2023, 06:54 PM
13osb
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone in the UK had their windscreen replaced under warranty? If so, which opc? Mine is saying that porsche GB are saying it’s not covered under warranty…
Old 09-06-2023, 09:29 PM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

My Porsche dealer told me that Porsche Canada is well aware of the issue and acknowledge it exists. However they have not issued a technical service bulletin for it—that is, they don’t have a recommended course of action yet. Any remedy, they told me, would be covered by warranty.

M
Old 09-07-2023, 12:37 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

My windshield trim on my 2021 Carrera S started deteriorating about a year into ownership. Now at the 2 yr mark it's gotten noticeably worse. When I took my car in for the 2 yr service, the dealer promptly scheduled another visit to replace the windshield. As others have mentioned, they can't just replace the molding. It is a part of the entire windshield and it is a known issue and they have done more than a handful of these replacements. The service advisor said it's completely hit and miss and he's seen it across different model years and randomly. Some cars have zero issues some look as crappy as mine.
zambien (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 03:19 PM
zambien
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm working with my dealer on this for the front windshield right now for my MY 2021 992. Initially they said it is a known/common issue and that Porsche won't cover it so I sent them this thread... awaiting a response as the dealer opened a case on it.

Last edited by zambien; 09-07-2023 at 03:21 PM. Reason: a little more detail
Old 09-07-2023, 05:11 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by zambien
I'm working with my dealer on this for the front windshield right now for my MY 2021 992. Initially they said it is a known/common issue and that Porsche won't cover it so I sent them this thread... awaiting a response as the dealer opened a case on it.
Huh? My dealer replaced the screen and moulding with zero questions asked; in fact it was in the shop for battery issues and I simply mentioned this as well and when I picked the car up a few days later it was done.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:30 AM
zambien
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Huh? My dealer replaced the screen and moulding with zero questions asked; in fact it was in the shop for battery issues and I simply mentioned this as well and when I picked the car up a few days later it was done.
Yeah, it seems to vary by dealer so it could be size of dealer, etc. Mine is a very small Porsche dealer which mostly deals in VWs and Volvos. What my SA told me as a follow up is that he opened a PRMS ticket with Porsche and they responded that the seal is now able to be replaced separately so that will be covered. If the glass breaks during replacement, and it usually does, they will also replace the windshield under warranty. So perhaps something has changed or maybe other dealers know how to work around the problem without explaining all this to their customers. They will use an outside shop to do the glass which is normal. They also quoted me $3550 to replace the windshield at my cost which I declined. Previously my SA had been told it would not be covered by Porsche but I got the feeling that previous customers had just accepted that.

So the good news is that it's being covered with the possibility of not getting a new windshield which is fair since the windshield itself is fine. I'm satisfied with the outcome.
aggie57 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 12:06 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by zambien
Yeah, it seems to vary by dealer so it could be size of dealer, etc. Mine is a very small Porsche dealer which mostly deals in VWs and Volvos. What my SA told me as a follow up is that he opened a PRMS ticket with Porsche and they responded that the seal is now able to be replaced separately so that will be covered. If the glass breaks during replacement, and it usually does, they will also replace the windshield under warranty. So perhaps something has changed or maybe other dealers know how to work around the problem without explaining all this to their customers. They will use an outside shop to do the glass which is normal. They also quoted me $3550 to replace the windshield at my cost which I declined. Previously my SA had been told it would not be covered by Porsche but I got the feeling that previous customers had just accepted that.

So the good news is that it's being covered with the possibility of not getting a new windshield which is fair since the windshield itself is fine. I'm satisfied with the outcome.
Great, I’m glad it worked out for you.
zambien (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:31 PM
ritchieg
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

A couple of months ago I got a crack in the windshield, applied for insurance and took it to my Porsche dealer for replacement. I got a call saying the molding and sealant were bad and they replaced the windshield under warranty. Have your dealer look at and it and press them if they won't do anything.

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?