Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 04:04 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

The windshield should be replaced under warranty, no argument about that. I just wanted to share I had a vastly different experience from the OP.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:42 PM
swingblade
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Had my 2021 C2 windshield replaced this week due to the same issue. I printed out 34 pages of Rennlist complaints on this issue and dealer happily replaced the windshield under warranty. Hope you have the same positive experience I had. If your dealer gives you any trouble I would suggest reaching out to Porsche North America.
The following 2 users liked this post by swingblade:
LuNguyen (11-06-2023), wmisson (09-14-2024)
Old 11-07-2022, 03:28 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
I see where you are located, not sure which dealership you are referring to, but you openly criticized Porsche Centre Vancouver regarding their pricing for trade in value on this forum and said you bought your car from Kelowna, 4 hours away. I have had amazing experience with Porsche Centre Vancouver going above and beyond to get stuff covered under warranty that is questionable. I probably wouldn’t publicly criticize a dealership on the forum unless I was likely done with my relationship. My suspicion is that your approach might have something to do with the results.
Glad to hear that your experience has been awesome with your dealership. I shared my thoughts/stories base on the the facts I personally experienced and I can’t help if that upsets any of them.

Regarding to this windshield matter, I’ve not named any particular dealership in the region. There are great people out there trying to make the right thing happen and I appreciate their efforts. However, not hearing anything from Porsche after 6 weeks surely does not help maintaining any sorts of relationships in this case.

I chose to update this ongoing situation because I started this thread and there are also others in this community dealing with same or similar issues; therefore, I believe some of them must be curious about the progress.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:32 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by swingblade
Had my 2021 C2 windshield replaced this week due to the same issue. I printed out 34 pages of Rennlist complaints on this issue and dealer happily replaced the windshield under warranty. Hope you have the same positive experience I had. If your dealer gives you any trouble I would suggest reaching out to Porsche North America.
I actually send them the links of these topics on this forum so they have an idea that I wasn’t the only one out there trying to get this fixed. They later replied to me saying Porsche does not consider these as proper references or evidences of defects.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:06 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

BTW - I believe you don't need to worry about leaks as a result of this issue. The windshield is actually sealed to the car with urethane or whatever adhesive is used to glue in windshields. This rubber trim is merely a cosmetic / debris trim.

(Pacific NW here also, lots of rain)
The following 2 users liked this post by Nashvegas:
Aaron Lin (11-22-2022), garthg (11-22-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 07:58 PM
waxman818
6th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Any fix other than the dealer?. My dealer won’t acknowledge this issue. Wonder if there is a global recall for this issue?
Old 11-21-2022, 08:32 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 257 Posts

Call PCNA, I did that when the dealership did not acknowledge, it is a well known issue and actually documented that a replacement is needed. In my case i was told that
Old 11-21-2022, 09:48 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

I just don't understand these dealers that are refusing to replace the windshield under warranty. Why would they care--it's just more warranty service business for them and going to bat for the customer is always a good business practice. My dealer had no problem with this at all and promptly did the work.
The following users liked this post:
Drew46 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 06:49 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts

There are a lot of posts and threads on this.
It isn't a "caulk". It's a polyurethane sealant/adhesive.
There's no rubber seal. If there is a plastic trim strip, it's a gap filler for cosmetic purposes.
Getting a windshield replaced for the reasons noted in the photographs in this thread seems unnecessary to me. This seems like a problem that can be fixed with a rag and some alcohol.
Getting the windshield replaced unnecessarily seems to me like an invitation to further problems. If the install isn't done very carefully, the car can end up with scratches in the paint around the windshield (leading to rust, especially in the corners), and poor bonding (leading to leaks).
All modern cars have their windshields glued in with polyurethane.
Having had windshields replaced on other cars, and having had problems like leaks and cracked glass, I would avoid a replacement if possible.

Last edited by garthg; 11-22-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:21 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
There's no rubber seal. If there is a plastic trim strip, it's a gap filler for cosmetic purposes.
Getting a windshield replaced for the reasons noted in the photographs in this thread seems unnecessary to me. This seems like a problem that can be fixed with a rag and some alcohol.
Getting the windshield replaced unnecessarily seems to me like an invitation to further problems. If the install isn't done very carefully, the car can end up with scratches in the paint around the windshield (leading to rust, especially in the corners), and poor bonding (leading to leaks).
Having had windshields replaced on other cars, and having had problems like leaks and cracked glass, I would avoid a replacement if possible.

I have also had windshields replaced on other cars as well as a 911, but have never seen trim/sealant self-destruct like on my 992. My first complaint to my dealer resulted in the solvent and rag clean up about 3 months ago. It now looks as bad or worse than before. I have to be careful washing the car to avoid getting it on my cleaning stuff. Also, with all the replacements I have had in my 55 years of car ownership, I have never had any damage done to a car getting a replacement windshield. Can't agree that the sky is falling.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:39 AM
dknj23
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts

Getting my windshield replaced today. I called the service advisor and told him what was happening, took a few pictures and he said let me order and once it gets in we can schedule service.
He said he was aware of this and it's covered under warranty.
'21 S
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:27 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Don't you think if it would be that easy that Porsche service would be asked to do that and not replace the entire windshield? Also, many on this forum have their windshields replaced w/o any issue you describe...and its done 1000's of times on all kinds of cars every day. I think doing what you suggest invites more ugliness than having the dealer replace it properly.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:05 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Don't you think if it would be that easy that Porsche service would be asked to do that and not replace the entire windshield? Also, many on this forum have their windshields replaced w/o any issue you describe...and its done 1000's of times on all kinds of cars every day. I think doing what you suggest invites more ugliness than having the dealer replace it properly.
I've had cars with a windshield leak after replacement, and it's a much bigger problem than an "ugly" smear.
Rust caused by scratches around the windshield won't show up for several years, but quicker in cars exposed to salt.
The following 2 users liked this post by garthg:
Aaron Lin (11-23-2022), Nashvegas (11-24-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

I've had cars with a windshield leak after replacement, and it's a much bigger problem than an "ugly" smear.
Rust caused by scratches around the windshield won't show up for several years, but quicker in cars exposed to salt.
All the more reason to have Porsche replace it while under warranty.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:44 PM
sddynamix
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

As another data point, I pointed out the melting trim to my dealer while the car was in yesterday and they ordered a new windshield - said it was a known issue.

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?