Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 05:28 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Self melting windshield moulding?

Hi folks,

I’ve encountered some weird issues today as I was preparing my car for its winter storage. The 992 has been parking inside the garage most of the time this year with only roughly 500km added to the odometer. While I was cleaning it up I noticed those black smudgy all around my windshield. It looked like the moulding has melted. I don’t know what’s the cause. The car hasn’t seen much usage and the garage isn’t that hot or even warm. I am curious if anybody had ever seen this happening before?

Old 10-02-2022, 08:09 PM
zachr
Pro

Received 673 Likes on 297 Posts

Fairly sure if you search you'll find other threads of this, and folks who have had it replaced under warranty. No clue what causes it iirc. Not super common, but common enough to be found on the forums.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (01-13-2023)
Old 10-02-2022, 08:40 PM
guffdude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1311...indshield.html
mikey94025 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 08:43 PM
py0413
Racer

Thanks guys. Now that I am not alone I can hope my local dealer will take care of it without giving me troubles. 🤞
Old 10-03-2022, 11:26 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,861 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Thanks guys. Now that I am not alone I can hope my local dealer will take care of it without giving me troubles. 🤞
Curious why you would assume they would give you troubles? Seems like a pretty straightforward warranty issue.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:51 PM
py0413
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Curious why you would assume they would give you troubles? Seems like a pretty straightforward warranty issue.
because they are. I am here at the dealer and they told me they have never seen anything like this and they think someone worked on the windshield that caused the problem. I showed them this thread and they told me they need to take some photos and send to Porsche for further action. Nothing is guaranteed.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:28 PM
zachr
Pro

because they are. I am here at the dealer and they told me they have never seen anything like this and they think someone worked on the windshield that caused the problem.
Turns out that building brand loyalty by not being dicks over questionably-warrantable issues is not an art that Porsche has learned. One of their profit-protecting mechanisms seems to be ensuring that nothing is ever repaired under warranty that might have failed due to outside influence. It doesn't surprise me that their first instinct was to blame someone else.

I had a rock puncture my A/C condenser. Obviously this is due to outside forces and not a defect in materials or craftsmanship, but it's a problem that can happen to anyone who drives their Porsche at highway speeds – particularly on 992s with the sport design package which eliminates the closable active aero vents that coincidentally protect the front radiators at speed. To me, an issue like this constitutes a failure in development and engineering to protect the vehicle from foreseeable outside forces (like rocks kicked up at highway speeds). And in fact, my husband had a C350 whose condenser suffered a similar fate, but the culprit projectile was a bird. Mercedes covered that under warranty, because a bird shouldn't be able to puncture your condenser. The Porsche experience? Within a minute of getting out of the car, my SA informed me that the symptoms I described indicated it wouldn't be covered under warranty, so we were off to a solid start. The service center actually refused to even consider requesting warranty coverage from PCNA over it. The shop's foreman suggested that I purchase a grille screen to protect the radiators. Ultimately, I opened a case with PCNA to request that they, in good will, cover some portion of the repair. You can probably guess the response. The PCNA rep actually tried to get me something for the grill screens I picked up from RGS, but after a discussion with her boss (or plausibly, a brief hold where she pretended to have said discussion), I got nothing. So to recap, Porsche (and I) suggests that 992 SD owners install something to protect your A/C condensers, because they definitely forgot to consider debris when they designed it and they certainly aren't going to admit that.

Not the same situation, but yours fuels my sense that Porsche does not care to build brand loyalty this way. When a customer tells a shop that no one worked on the windshield and they haven't used any crazy chemicals to clean it, you'd think the shop should simply believe the customer. I increasingly find that Porsche disagrees with me. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
Grimz (09-09-2023), Winnetka (04-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2022, 06:05 PM
py0413
Racer

Originally Posted by zachr
Turns out that building brand loyalty by not being dicks over questionably-warrantable issues is not an art that Porsche has learned. One of their profit-protecting mechanisms seems to be ensuring that nothing is ever repaired under warranty that might have failed due to outside influence. It doesn't surprise me that their first instinct was to blame someone else.

I had a rock puncture my A/C condenser. Obviously this is due to outside forces and not a defect in materials or craftsmanship, but it's a problem that can happen to anyone who drives their Porsche at highway speeds – particularly on 992s with the sport design package which eliminates the closable active aero vents that coincidentally protect the front radiators at speed. To me, an issue like this constitutes a failure in development and engineering to protect the vehicle from foreseeable outside forces (like rocks kicked up at highway speeds). And in fact, my husband had a C350 whose condenser suffered a similar fate, but the culprit projectile was a bird. Mercedes covered that under warranty, because a bird shouldn't be able to puncture your condenser. The Porsche experience? Within a minute of getting out of the car, my SA informed me that the symptoms I described indicated it wouldn't be covered under warranty, so we were off to a solid start. The service center actually refused to even consider requesting warranty coverage from PCNA over it. The shop's foreman suggested that I purchase a grille screen to protect the radiators. Ultimately, I opened a case with PCNA to request that they, in good will, cover some portion of the repair. You can probably guess the response. The PCNA rep actually tried to get me something for the grill screens I picked up from RGS, but after a discussion with her boss (or plausibly, a brief hold where she pretended to have said discussion), I got nothing. So to recap, Porsche (and I) suggests that 992 SD owners install something to protect your A/C condensers, because they definitely forgot to consider debris when they designed it and they certainly aren't going to admit that.

Not the same situation, but yours fuels my sense that Porsche does not care to build brand loyalty this way. When a customer tells a shop that no one worked on the windshield and they haven't used any crazy chemicals to clean it, you'd think the shop should simply believe the customer. I increasingly find that Porsche disagrees with me. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Thank you for your detailed story and feedback.

I hope Porsche Canada will honor the warranty repair on this as it’s now a known problem with many actually experiencing the same issue.

I’m a lot more upset about the way they handle matters like this. After hearing my description of the problem, without seeing it, they immediately responded that was the urethane used by auto glass shop that caused it. Then I had to explain again my windshield has never been replaced nor has any work ever done around it. Of course, they countered that it could be whatever I used for cleaning the car that caused the degradation or where I park, the environment could be unsuitable.

Anyways, at the end, the warranty manager agreed to reach out to Porsche, I was told it could be 1-2 weeks before I hear anything. 🤞
Winnetka (04-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:43 PM
sddynamix
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm glad you posted this - I noticed this on my 992 and just assumed the windshield may have been replaced (CPO car, I'm the 2nd owner)
Winnetka (04-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:14 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

because they are. I am here at the dealer and they told me they have never seen anything like this and they think someone worked on the windshield that caused the problem. I showed them this thread and they told me they need to take some photos and send to Porsche for further action. Nothing is guaranteed.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. That's completely unacceptable. If you bought your car from that dealership, THEY should be the ones advocating for you with Porsche and it's sad that they even need to debate this issue. Good luck and I hope your dealer and Porsche comes to their senses.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:15 PM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 65 Posts

My 2020 just started exhibiting the same thing. Dealer said it was a common issue. They took pics and put a new windshield on warranty order for me. They said they need to replace the entire windshield because 90% of the time when removing the windshield, it breaks anyway. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2022, 07:07 PM
py0413
Racer

Wow. Sorry to hear that. That's completely unacceptable. If you bought your car from that dealership, THEY should be the ones advocating for you with Porsche and it's sad that they even need to debate this issue. Good luck and I hope your dealer and Porsche comes to their senses.
Unfortunately, customer service and after sales experience is no longer important to a premium brand that has an endless line up of people fighting desperately to hand them money. I’ve been a Porsche owner since 2012 and it’s very obvious that since my last purchase (2020 C4s), the ownership experience has changed significantly for worse. I guess with the demands so high, they could care less and less. No doubts these machines they make are still absolutely amazing and that’s about the only thing stays cheerful for Porsche brand.

Originally Posted by 3RsInCarrera
My 2020 just started exhibiting the same thing. Dealer said it was a common issue. They took pics and put a new windshield on warranty order for me. They said they need to replace the entire windshield because 90% of the time when removing the windshield, it breaks anyway. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope my dealer and Porsche can make this right.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:02 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 874 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr

Very pretentious to ask for warranty resulting from road debris of any type causing damage. How about a respray to correct paint chips? Where does this stop? Maybe not the right car for some?

Last edited by icanthelpit; 10-05-2022 at 04:09 PM.
phila12180 (12-06-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 04:17 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Very pretentious to ask for warranty resulting from road debris of any type causing damage. Maybe not the right car for some?
I disagree. It is clearly a design flaw. The standard Carreras have movable flaps to close up those vents at higher speeds for aerodynamic reasons and because they are huge and gaping. A very cheap mesh would've gone a long way to preventing the heat exchangers from being damaged. If people are complaining about rock chips on the hood and what not, I agree that that should not be a warranty issue. But placing huge unprotected vents directly in the front of the car with heat exchangers behind them open to rocks and debris is poor engineering in my opinion.

I think the same goes for other ridiculous design decisions like installing massive brakes with literally 5mm space btw brake calipers and rims. On the BMW forums, some people with carbon brakes complain that pebbles get caught btw the caliper and the rim causing large scoring marks on the inside of the rim. This is also a design flaw as it's foreseeable and happens regularly enough to pose a problem and can easily be remedied by redesigning the caliper and/or rim to create more clearance and avoid this issue.

As for the maybe not the right car for some people comment, how does that make sense? A Porsche is a sports car that's meant to be driven harder and faster than regular cars and occasionally or often tracked. So that would actually subject the Porsche to a greater likelihood of precisely this type of damage. So a person who is driving the Porsche as intended would likely have a higher potential for incurring this type of damage. Unless you think a Porsche owner should just park the car in their garage waxing and polishing it and admiring it without driving much. There are those types of Porsche owners as well. Nothing wrong with that either.
The following 7 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
CO 992 (12-05-2022), KM20Turbo (04-22-2023), minn19 (10-29-2022), Noah Fect (10-30-2022), T3X4S (11-24-2022), Winnetka (04-03-2024), zachr (10-05-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2022, 04:29 PM
zachr
Pro

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Very pretentious to ask for warranty resulting from road debris of any type causing damage. How about a respray to correct paint chips? Where does this stop? Maybe not the right car for some?
I disagree wholeheartedly. First, it seems obvious that paint is cosmetic – not functional – and that Porsche should not be responsible for protecting cosmetics. But if Porsche sold a car without air filters and something destroyed your engine as a result, I would argue that Porsche failed to adequately protect the engine from foreseeable damage. This is no different.

The PCNA rep I spoke with actually had the gall to say "you knew this was a low car and that this could happen when you bought it". I responded by pointing out that Porsche knew it was a low car when they built it and should have taken steps to mitigate the obvious issue of rock damage to a major system rather than designing a vehicle that, on a long enough timescale when driven on highways in traffic, is practically guaranteed to need a repair of this nature. I think it's absolutely ludicrous that multiple representatives of Porsche (shop foreman, SA, and this PCNA rep) all agreed that purchasing a third party product to protect the condensers is helpful/necessary. I don't think it's fair or reasonable for Porsche to build a car with an obvious flaw and charge folks when that obvious flaw occurs while the vehicle is under warranty. I'm really not sure why that's controversial, and I don't appreciate the implication.

Last edited by zachr; 10-05-2022 at 04:30 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by zachr:
CO 992 (12-05-2022), Larson E. Rapp (09-29-2023), MarkToff (10-05-2022), minn19 (10-29-2022), T3X4S (11-24-2022), Winnetka (04-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?