Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 08:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

If you look for a problem you'll probably find one....I had my screen changed and you wouldn't know.
The following users liked this post:
Andy2021 (10-09-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 09:39 AM
911newguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Yikes...that makes me cringe. Do the dealers acknowledge that the adhesives they are using will not melt again? Do they acknowledge that the compound is defective and specifically the new will solve the issue?

Also, it looks like there could be some potential for the dash to be loose or vibrate later?
They told me the replacement is covered under warranty, any further issues they will fix it again. They subbed the work to a well known local glass installer. There is a gap around the edges but I don’t notice any wind noise, and I have a 130 mile ride home at speeds from 25 to 75.

Originally Posted by vg247
ON both windshield replacements, it’s coming from the top along the sun visor area. You’ll notice a whistling sound around 45-60 mph, once above that the noise drowns out at high speeds along with our innate engine sounds.

The personal decision for me to give up was because each time anyone touches our cars, they will one way or another scratch or damage some other place (paint, interior upholstery etc,) …and I enjoy the engine sounds enough that I said to myself eventually I’m not going to get obsessed over the wind noise. Had this been on a luxury sedan I wouldn’t let it go..

I do suggest getting the warranty work and replacing the delaminating rubber on the windshield however, as it will get worst for all the reasons reported on this issue. Hope you won’t get wind noise and a perfect job done, but even with the wind noise , do get yours replaced.

hope this feedback helps..
I now have scratches along the leading edge of the roof. The dealership noticed them and pointed it out to me to their credit. They offered to have it professionally polished, or I could have it done are they will reimburse me. Most likely I’ll do it myself and go from there.
vg247 (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Trini
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently got my windshield replaced under warranty for this issues. However part of the process is resetting all sensors to factory settings.

When I originally lowered the car my sensors were calibrated for a lowered car to avoid errors.

After they installed my windshield I got errors on the dash 5 miles after leaving the dealer. They then stated warranty only covers calibrating sensors back to factory setting. I had to pay to have them calibrate sensors on a modified car.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:20 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Trini
I recently got my windshield replaced under warranty for this issues. However part of the process is resetting all sensors to factory settings.

When I originally lowered the car my sensors were calibrated for a lowered car to avoid errors.

After they installed my windshield I got errors on the dash 5 miles after leaving the dealer. They then stated warranty only covers calibrating sensors back to factory setting. I had to pay to have them calibrate sensors on a modified car.
That sucks. When I had my car lowered, the shop that did the work said there were no issues w/ the sensors and nothing had to be recalibrated. I've driven thousands of miles without any issue and just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago as well. The dealer aligned the car and recalibrated sensors and still no issues w/ my lowered ride height. I don't know if they recalibrated to stock height or lowered height but I never needed recalibration anyway when it was first lowered.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:30 AM
Trini
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
That sucks. When I had my car lowered, the shop that did the work said there were no issues w/ the sensors and nothing had to be recalibrated. I've driven thousands of miles without any issue and just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago as well. The dealer aligned the car and recalibrated sensors and still no issues w/ my lowered ride height. I don't know if they recalibrated to stock height or lowered height but I never needed recalibration anyway when it was first lowered.
Oh wow. I recall you are one of the few on coilovers and I'm on Techart HAS. Wonder if that makes a difference in calibration.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:58 PM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm on TechArt HAS and just had my windshield replaced a couple weeks ago (by the dealer) for this issue. Nothing came up related to calibration and I haven't noticed any differences.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:38 AM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

I just noticed the window trim melting as well on my C2. Dreading dealing with the dealer....
Anyone from Socal had experienced this issue and please share which dealer you end up going to, to have this issue repaired under warranty.

Thanks.

Last edited by laurenxesq; 10-07-2023 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:43 AM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by laurenxesq
I just noticed the window trim melting as well on my C2. Dreading dealing with the dealer....
Anyone from Socal had experienced this issue and please share which dealer you end up going to, to have this issue repaired under warranty.

Thanks.
Porsche San Diego did mine without any questions asked
laurenxesq (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 12:52 AM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Originally Posted by aquanaut
Thank you.
Old 10-07-2023, 03:02 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanaut
Originally Posted by laurenxesq

Thanks.

Porsche of Newport Beach is familiar with this issue. Just be sure to check the car condition before and after along with observing for any windnoise after the replacement
laurenxesq (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 11:55 AM
La Carrera
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I had mine replaced at Rusnak in Pasadena. They were completely familiar with the issue and there were no issues with the warranty covering it. Jason Yamasaki is the assistant service manager, and he is the one who helped me.

Reading this thread and the experiences of other owners, I do now think that during the installation that the installers may have inadvertently scuffed the paint on the windshield frame. My car wash guy noticed it a couple weeks after the install, but I didn't put "two and two" together at the time and didn't relate the scuff to the install. But it makes sense.

Fortunately, Moe Mistry at Glistening Perfection was able to buff it back to its former glory. So back to normal now.

The following 3 users liked this post by La Carrera:
laurenxesq (10-07-2023), MoeMistry (10-08-2023), vg247 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 09:37 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Originally Posted by vg247
Porsche of Newport Beach is familiar with this issue. Just be sure to check the car condition before and after along with observing for any windnoise after the replacement
Thank you for sharing.

I have a standing appointment with Jason Sands in 2 weeks. If I may ask, who do you see there?

Thank you.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:21 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

This is very common on 991 and 992 and most dealerships will take care of it under warranty…front and rear seals have issues
Old 10-10-2023, 01:09 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the information. Newport Beach Porsche will repair the window trim defect under warranty. A relief to know its covered under warranty. I was worry there for a moment.

Thanks.
vg247 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:17 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

How long does it take for this problem to appear, especially if the car is garaged regularly, and what happens once the factory warranty expires? Does Porsche just wipe their hands and say sorry it's your problem now even though it's been an issue for years?

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?