Sponsored by:

ADMs on allocations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
[Snip] They matched my indie's price, put winter tires on for free and washed it "to get the business". Creepy.
That made me laugh. Well played sir.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:37 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
That's an interesting set of requests, especially the credit checks. I'll assume they did that because they also insisted that you use them for financing? Or were they open to you bringing your own financing?
I went into Downtown L A Porsche with my own financing; $35K cash along with pre-approval from Chase(up to $150K). Guess their GSM felt I was under qualified. Guess being a girl some times have some downsides walking into a P car dealer by herself and buying her own car....

Last edited by laurenxesq; 09-16-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:41 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Originally Posted by voyagez.fr
If financing with Porsche Financial, aren’t they not able to submit the application to Porsche until the vehicle has arrived at the dealer? Wouldn’t make sense to get a hard approval for the vehicle to arrive months later when credit situation can change unless the policy changed?
Not sure....thus both Downtown LA Porsche and Rusnak Porsche ran my credit first before talking numbers. I was under the impression that's the norm now adays.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by laurenxesq
Not sure....thus both Downtown LA Porsche and Rusnak Porsche ran my credit first before talking numbers. I was under the impression that's the norm now adays.
I've talked to at least 3 dealers now and none have even brought up the topic of financing much less a credit check.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:18 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
It's an increasing trend IMO, especially in luxury goods. Maybe Porsche is headed in the direction of Rolex? Rolex has always encouraged their ADs to vet their clients to make sure they're not out to make a quick buck on the purchase of the watch. They ask about your birthday, your work, why you want a particular watch, anything else you're celebrating, etc. It wouldn't be too surprising to see Porsche adopting similar tactics. However, Rolex vets you for (essentially) their safety, not to charge you more. In this case we're talking about these Porsche dealers vetting you but they shouldn't be doing that with an eye to add ADM.
Rolex does not care where their watches go, ADs have been selling the desirable watches onto the grey market for years and now they are selling almost everything grey, and Rolex has been turning a blind eye...this will be to their detriment if they allow it to continue.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:41 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by voyagez.fr
If financing with Porsche Financial, aren’t they not able to submit the application to Porsche until the vehicle has arrived at the dealer? Wouldn’t make sense to get a hard approval for the vehicle to arrive months later when credit situation can change unless the policy changed?
FYI - a dealer doesn't really need to push the finance application to Porsche Financial. The dealer's finance manager and/or director can run your credit and know whether Porsche Financial or other banks they work with will qualify you (the applicant) for the amount necessary to buy the car. They know the guidelines and they can tell within about 2 minutes just by looking at your credit profile whether or not you'll be approved and by which bank(s). This can be done regardless of them having a car to sell you or not.
The following users liked this post:
laurenxesq (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:03 AM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
I was waiting in the showroom last week at my (largish) dealer for 10k service on my 992TTS and overhead some of the sales staff discussing current ADM practice at two other dealers. Apparently quite a few dealers sales people are consistent in pushing ADM when a potential customer:
1. Appears to be a time-wasting tire-kicker,
2. Appears to be an ignorant first-time buyer *posing* as a knowledgeable owner/buyer (particularly if arrogant), or
3. Appears to be motivated to buy to satisfy some personal insecurity, rather than out of passion or appreciation for the cars.

A common sales tactic was said to be to offer a current or “near-term” allocation with ADM accompanied by hints that a later allocation “might” be available without ADM.

They said that the “customers” who get this treatment from the other dealers are - predictably - the same ones who get laughed at when they leave the showroom.

This particular dealer is (apparently) simply patiently waiting for allocations and seems to be candid and forthright about allocations and not charging any ADM. Everyone queues according to order sequence in category (I am hoping for 2022 delivery for my 992Targa order - but nothing firm yet).
Places like SiliconValley, for past ~25y, have had ~20yo guys showing up at the local P/MB/F dealers after their first big bonus/payday in finance or tech biz, seeking to lease (who the hell that can compound own capital at a furious rate buys a depreciating/consumable like cars/houses/girls, etc?) a new whatever

Smarter kids simply ask their elders (someone 2-3y ahead of them in finance or tech biz) "who's their guy?" at whatever dealer....and tend to be treated well by the vetted sales monkey who's done right by the elders: relationships quickly built as such smarter kids tend to become "old-money" real fast in fast-compounding/Darwinian places like SV....and the few decent salesguys at relevant dealers tend to be similarly longstanding guys w/deep books of such repeat customers

Same game as obtaining best tables at prime times @hot/legendary restaurants in SF/LA/NYC/Chic/Miami, etc etc
Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 AM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Originally Posted by lawrence1
FYI - a dealer doesn't really need to push the finance application to Porsche Financial. The dealer's finance manager and/or director can run your credit and know whether Porsche Financial or other banks they work with will qualify you (the applicant) for the amount necessary to buy the car. They know the guidelines and they can tell within about 2 minutes just by looking at your credit profile whether or not you'll be approved and by which bank(s). This can be done regardless of them having a car to sell you or not.
Yes, that is correct.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:43 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My dealer did not ask any questions whatsoever about credit before accepting my deposit for order. Only asked for $1K deposit on cc. Granted, i did not get an allocation right away; however, it came about as promised. Call around. BTW, my dealer was Porsche Bellingham, WA. They were exceptional.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:56 AM
Budman1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Thankfully, my local dealer is not adding ADM for orders. If they happen to get a new model on the lot it is usually marked up by $13-$15K.

I understand why dealers add ADM, but I am not willing to pay it.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:40 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I was just saying to myself - I would never pay ADM on car!

But then I realized that when I turned 50 last year and wanted a Rolex Submariner I payed $2,500 over retail to get one. So I guess if a dealer had a car in stock I wanted right now I would probably pay some ADM, but agree with everyone else not if I had to wait for it.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:19 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

Got on a wait list for a GTS alloc yesterday and to my surprise, my SA told me that they aren't doing ADMs on any models, including GT3. Apparently the parent company / dealer group doesn't allow them. I'm not entirely sure I believe him as this owner group includes quite a few chevy dealers who could be making a fortune on C8 ADMs, but who knows.
chance6 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:17 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts
Default R&T: Ford Bronco ADMs

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...ups/?source=nl
detansinn (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
I thought the dealer has to honor the price on the buying contact signed when ordering? You can agree to X amount and then 1 week before delivery they can decide to add $10,000 to a signed agreement?

I understand asking $10-30k over upfront for a slot to buy a car. Didn’t realize they can raise prices at their whim after you decided on a price.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:55 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I thought the dealer has to honor the price on the buying contact signed when ordering? You can agree to X amount and then 1 week before delivery they can decide to add $10,000 to a signed agreement?

I understand asking $10-30k over upfront for a slot to buy a car. Didn’t realize they can raise prices at their whim after you decided on a price.
A lot of C8 buyers experienced this. There's a ton of wiggle room in these order agreements. This is why it's done as a market adjustment or ADM. Yes, you agreed on the "price", but this is an additional fee/adjustment. It's shady and it happens.

Quick Reply: ADMs on allocations?