Sponsored by:

ADMs on allocations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:21 AM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by philghill
Dealer closest to me said a few weeks back that ordering a C2S would include a 10 percent markup and a GTS would be a 15 percent markup, and that the markups increase/decrease over time with the market. $5k deposit to get on waiting list.
Geez! That's even worse than my local dealer that prompted to start this thread to begin with!

So I think it's completely fair to say that there are dealers that are still out there doing the right thing (no ADM) but it looks like ADM on allocations is an emerging trend or at least not as rare as people may have thought.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Well I can confirm that there's at least 1 dealer doing ADMs on them.
Is that the dealer ask, or are they actually selling allocations / cars with an ADM.

The former, sure. The latter, would need to see an actual bill of sale to believe.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:10 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

I'm not a fan of ADM or dealers in general as they are typically known to be less than savory, but at the same time there are plenty of good people to deal with. I feel like I did on my process.

That said buyers love to think they got a great deal and that dealers make way more than is disclosed.

But let's think about the fact that when there is surplus inventory dealers will discount cars and work deals to get inventory moving. Now we are in an inventory shortage. Should they not try to do the reverse and make ADM? It does seem a bit hypocritical to think we should get discounts and deals when they need to sell a car and not be charged more for limited production vehicles or during times when demand outweighs supply by a considerable margin.

If you can find a dealer with no ADM, awesome, but I think for a little while that might be harder and harder to find, especially if you don't have a prior relationship.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
marrast (09-17-2021), peterdouglas (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 01:41 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 963 Likes on 538 Posts

People don't seem to understand - the way to combat inflation is - stop buying the stuff. Bacon at $10 a pound, I don't buy it. 6 months for a van - I buy something else, or just keep the car I have.
The following 2 users liked this post by nyca:
AdamSanta85 (09-16-2021), Carlo_Carrera (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 02:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Bacon at $10 a pound

The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Carlo_Carrera (09-16-2021), CO 992 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:31 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 859 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I'm not a fan of ADM or dealers in general as they are typically known to be less than savory, but at the same time there are plenty of good people to deal with. I feel like I did on my process.

That said buyers love to think they got a great deal and that dealers make way more than is disclosed.

But let's think about the fact that when there is surplus inventory dealers will discount cars and work deals to get inventory moving. Now we are in an inventory shortage. Should they not try to do the reverse and make ADM? It does seem a bit hypocritical to think we should get discounts and deals when they need to sell a car and not be charged more for limited production vehicles or during times when demand outweighs supply by a considerable margin.

If you can find a dealer with no ADM, awesome, but I think for a little while that might be harder and harder to find, especially if you don't have a prior relationship.
Yes - the free market works both ways.

I just returned my leased Mercedes - 6 months early with no penalty and no fees. I also received a check for $1000 - when did that ever happen ?

Im in North Georgia and dealers lots are empty.

They have no inventory new and used cars are in demand with insufficient supply.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 684 Posts

I was at our (fairly large) Toyota dealer to have brakes done the other day. Their showroom had two vehicles - both sold. A Tacoma and a Highlander. Front lot empty.
They matched my indie's price, put winter tires on for free and washed it "to get the business". Creepy.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:46 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 605 Posts

Dealers are hurting because they have less inventory to sell. A dealer that used to move 50-60 units a month, now is moving 10-30 because there have no inventory , So, they are trying to max profit per unit , and the decent ones are paying their SA more per unit because the SA now is selling less units per month ,
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
Dealers are hurting because they have less inventory to sell. A dealer that used to move 50-60 units a month, now is moving 10-30 because there have no inventory , So, they are trying to max profit per unit , and the decent ones are paying their SA more per unit because the SA now is selling less units per month ,
I've talked to a dealer who said they are doing better this year than last.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:32 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

All car dealers are running out of cars. In order to keep the lights on, the profit per car has to go up. I don’t blame them for what they are doing now - it’s not greed, it is their only choice.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:33 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I've talked to a dealer who said they are doing better this year than last.
depends on the management , they are putting a lot of effort into buying used cars and selling them to replace new units ..
and I am not defending dealers , but just pointing out that as a business that make profit per unit sold and there are less units to sell , your profits will go down .
some dealers have told me that they are debating laying off some sales force because of the shortage
chance6 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 09:04 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 315 Posts

Hopefully the dealers won't add the ADM retroactively right as you're signing the paperwork.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 268 Posts

My dealership told me that they are prioritizing giving allocations to customers who are bringing a car in on trade so that they will have another vehicle to sell (giving a particular nod to low-mileage, interestingly spec'd, good condition cars). Most of their current inventory is trade-ins and it is moving fast. Some are selling the first day they have them in.

They are also NOT doing ADMs as far as I know (they didn't on my C4S).
chance6 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:07 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

I was waiting in the showroom last week at my (largish) dealer for 10k service on my 992TTS and overheard some of the sales staff discussing current ADM practice at two other dealers. Apparently quite a few dealers sales people are consistent in pushing ADM when a potential customer:
1. Appears to be a time-wasting tire-kicker,
2. Appears to be an ignorant first-time buyer *posing* as a knowledgeable owner/buyer (particularly if arrogant), or
3. Appears to be motivated to buy to satisfy some personal insecurity, rather than out of passion or appreciation for the cars.

A common sales tactic was said to be to offer a current or “near-term” allocation with ADM accompanied by hints that a later allocation “might” be available without ADM.

They said that the “customers” who get this treatment from the other dealers are - predictably - the same ones who get laughed at when they leave the showroom.

This particular dealer is (apparently) simply patiently waiting for allocations and seems to be candid and forthright about allocations and not charging any ADM. Everyone queues according to order sequence in category (I am hoping for 2022 delivery for my 992Targa order - but nothing firm yet).

Last edited by peterdouglas; 10-06-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal

Fair point. After all, the "S" in MSRP does stand for "Suggested" and not "Stipulated". No reason to believe that "Suggested" is a cap any more than it would be a floor.
peterdouglas (09-16-2021)

Quick Reply: ADMs on allocations?