Sponsored by:

ADMs on allocations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:34 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
I was waiting in the showroom last week at my (largish) dealer for 10k service on my 992TTS and overhead some of the sales staff discussing current ADM practice at two other dealers. Apparently quite a few dealers sales people are consistent in pushing ADM when a potential customer:
1. Appears to be a time-wasting tire-kicker,
2. Appears to be an ignorant first-time buyer *posing* as a knowledgeable owner/buyer (particularly if arrogant), or
3. Appears to be motivated to buy to satisfy some personal insecurity, rather than out of passion or appreciation for the cars.

A common sales tactic was said to be to offer a current or “near-term” allocation with ADM accompanied by hints that a later allocation “might” be available without ADM.

They said that the “customers” who get this treatment from the other dealers are - predictably - the same ones who get laughed at when they leave the showroom.

This particular dealer is (apparently) simply patiently waiting for allocations and seems to be candid and forthright about allocations and not charging any ADM. Everyone queues according to order sequence in category (I am hoping for 2022 delivery for my 992Targa order - but nothing firm yet).
That's an interesting take on this. Thanks for that.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:46 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 434 Posts

I was waiting in the showroom last week at my (largish) dealer for 10k service on my 992TTS and overhead some of the sales staff discussing current ADM practice at two other dealers. Apparently quite a few dealers sales people are consistent in pushing ADM when a potential customer:
1. Appears to be a time-wasting tire-kicker,
2. Appears to be an ignorant first-time buyer *posing* as a knowledgeable owner/buyer (particularly if arrogant), or
3. Appears to be motivated to buy to satisfy some personal insecurity, rather than out of passion or appreciation for the cars.

A common sales tactic was said to be to offer a current or “near-term” allocation with ADM accompanied by hints that a later allocation “might” be available without ADM.

They said that the “customers” who get this treatment from the other dealers are - predictably - the same ones who get laughed at when they leave the showroom.

This particular dealer is (apparently) simply patiently waiting for allocations and seems to be candid and forthright about allocations and not charging any ADM. Everyone queues according to order sequence in category (I am hoping for 2022 delivery for my 992Targa order - but nothing firm yet).
Bingo. This is exactly what happened and was discussed and played out on the table with my SA. Small dealership, however, there was a (kinda weird to say it, but I felt like it was) a vetting and proving process with the SA, Sales Manager, and even the GM. I just happened to email the GM of the dealership first, explaining my timelines, requirements, needs, and thoughts on all the touchy subjects (car passion, model, ADM, timelines, transparency, etc.) beforehand so I went in, although unknowingly, ahead of the power curve before we got to meet our SA, the staff, and place a deposit along with our December allocation.

Last edited by PHX; 09-16-2021 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I am stupid.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 02:58 PM
NYG1121
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 47 Posts

Lol this is insane. They are essentially profiling potential buyers? What has the world come to? If you have a customer willing to drop >100k on a car please be reasonable.
The following 3 users liked this post by NYG1121:
chance6 (09-17-2021), Cotechia (10-05-2021), JiminyGlick (09-21-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:01 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Bingo. This is exactly what happened and was discussed and played out on the table with my SA. Small dealership, however, there was a (kinda weird to say it, but I felt like it was) a vetting and proving process with the SA, Sales Manager, and even the GM. I just happened to email the GM of the dealership first, explaining my timelines, requirements, needs, and thoughts on all the touchy subjects (car passion, model, ADM, timelines, transparency, etc.) beforehand so I went in, although unknowingly, ahead of the power curve before we got to meet our SA, the staff, and place a deposit along with our December allocation.
What a ridiculous age we are living in that people (real or perceived) believe you need to get “vetted” or be “worthy” buying a Porsche. It is not that you are adopting a child.
It is all about money - nothing else.
Cotechia (10-05-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:12 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by NYG1121
Lol this is insane. They are essentially profiling potential buyers? What has the world come to? If you have a customer willing to drop >100k on a car please be reasonable.
Originally Posted by German1967
What a ridiculous age we are living in that people (real or perceived) believe you need to get “vetted” or be “worthy” buying a Porsche. It is not that you are adopting a child.
It's an increasing trend IMO, especially in luxury goods. Maybe Porsche is headed in the direction of Rolex? Rolex has always encouraged their ADs to vet their clients to make sure they're not out to make a quick buck on the purchase of the watch. They ask about your birthday, your work, why you want a particular watch, anything else you're celebrating, etc. It wouldn't be too surprising to see Porsche adopting similar tactics. However, Rolex vets you for (essentially) their safety, not to charge you more. In this case we're talking about these Porsche dealers vetting you but they shouldn't be doing that with an eye to add ADM.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:18 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

i had no sense that the sales people’s assessments were anything other than a fairly hard-nosed (if realistic and whether or not worthy) evaluation of who was (and wasn’t) a likely buyer and who was (and wasn’t) a good candidate to solicit ADM.

i did not get any sense that people were being profiled or judged on any other criterion or whether they met someone/anyone’s concept of being “worthy” of buying a car.

i was just reporting the facts of the conversations I heard - and express no personal view on the merits of the underlying issues - which certainly are open for discussion, given the range of subjective opinion represented on these forums.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:32 PM
NYG1121
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
It's an increasing trend IMO, especially in luxury goods. Maybe Porsche is headed in the direction of Rolex? Rolex has always encouraged their ADs to vet their clients to make sure they're not out to make a quick buck on the purchase of the watch. They ask about your birthday, your work, why you want a particular watch, anything else you're celebrating, etc. It wouldn't be too surprising to see Porsche adopting similar tactics. However, Rolex vets you for (essentially) their safety, not to charge you more. In this case we're talking about these Porsche dealers vetting you but they shouldn't be doing that with an eye to add ADM.
yes totally different with rolex and watch market. They are actually doing you a FAVOR by selling it to you at MSRP. This is similar to grey dealers vetting you so they can charge you even more!
JiminyGlick (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG1121
do you both feel (it seems that you may) that it is improper for sales people to try to evaluate potential customers’ ability and propensity to complete a purchase?

Is it wrong/unethical for a dealer to charge ADM?

If a dealer does or may charge ADM, is it ok for sales people to evaluate customers for the likelihood that they will/will not be willing/able to pay?

and PS - is trying to identify customer types who are thought to be likely willing to pay ADM (one could call that “profiling” I suppose) =
wrong?
unethical?
immoral?
bad practice?
natural?
normal?
ubiquitous?
human?

Last edited by peterdouglas; 09-16-2021 at 03:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peterdouglas:
PHX (09-16-2021), Russian Mafia (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Vetting is the real world. I doubt it's as overt as the example posted, but I'm sure many dealers will make judgement calls on prospective buyers and go the extra mile for some of them - particularly those who are local or have the potential to be long term clients. There are a finite number of allocations and I don't doubt that there is a strategy in distributing them. Smart dealers play the long game, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
peterdouglas (09-16-2021), PHX (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:55 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

do you both feel (it seems that you may) that it is improper for sales people to try to evaluate potential customers’ ability and propensity to complete a purchase?

Is it wrong/unethical for a dealer to charge ADM?

If a dealer does or may charge ADM, is it ok for sales people to evaluate customers for the likelihood that they will/will not be willing/able to pay?

and PS - is trying to identify customer types who are thought to be likely willing to pay ADM (one could call that “profiling” I suppose) = wrong? unethical? immoral?
bad practice?
I don’t have an issue with ADM. I would never pay it though. Others obviously do. We are living in a market economy. Prices are based on supply and demand. There will always be people who will and can pay whatever is asked to get whatever they want as fast as possible.

The way to “test” the seriousness of a buyer is to ask for a down payment WITH an allocation. Asking ADM based on any assessment of a potential buyer seem silly - unless the goal is to figure out how much I can “milk” that specific buyer. I would stay miles away from any dealer that operates like that.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:09 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Here are a couple of videos from Porsche Center Calgary. First about getting an allocation and, second, about ordering GT3 types. They do vet you especially in todays market.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:37 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

I personally would not pay ADM. Thus, in terms of dealers assessing customers' seriousness on moving forward with placing an order, yes, I have experienced my fair share of it.
I end up placing my 992 order with Rusnak Porsche. They ran my credit and obtained a hard approval from Porsche Financial before moving forward with the order, along with $3.5K deposit, no ADM.
Prior to Rusnak Porsche, I inquired with Downtown L A Porsche, they asked $5K ADM, rent via Porsche Drive for 3 months ($3,100/month to rent a 992), $5K deposit, along with credit application, confirmation of my recent addresses, proof of employment, proof of residence, ownership of property of those addresses on my credit report, proof of insurance coverage. The list was long. And I end up not moving forward with Downtown L A Porsche. I felt I was being ridiculously ridiculed.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:55 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

ADM on a car I can get right now? Maybe.

ADM on a car I have to wait 9 months for? Nope.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:01 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by laurenxesq
I personally would not pay ADM. Thus, in terms of dealers assessing customers' seriousness on moving forward with placing an order, yes, I have experienced my fair share of it.
I end up placing my 992 order with Rusnak Porsche. They ran my credit and obtained a hard approval from Porsche Financial before moving forward with the order, along with $3.5K deposit, no ADM.
Prior to Rusnak Porsche, I inquired with Downtown L A Porsche, they asked $5K ADM, rent via Porsche Drive for 3 months ($3,100/month to rent a 992), $5K deposit, along with credit application, confirmation of my recent addresses, proof of employment, proof of residence, ownership of property of those addresses on my credit report, proof of insurance coverage. The list was long. And I end up not moving forward with Downtown L A Porsche. I felt I was being ridiculously ridiculed.
That's an interesting set of requests, especially the credit checks. I'll assume they did that because they also insisted that you use them for financing? Or were they open to you bringing your own financing?
Old 09-16-2021, 06:06 PM
voyagez.fr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 45 Posts

If financing with Porsche Financial, aren’t they not able to submit the application to Porsche until the vehicle has arrived at the dealer? Wouldn’t make sense to get a hard approval for the vehicle to arrive months later when credit situation can change unless the policy changed?

Originally Posted by laurenxesq

Quick Reply: ADMs on allocations?