Sponsored by:

2022 Allocation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Harshersh
how long did you wait for that allocation?

I put myself on the list at this dealership (and other lists as well) in mid-August and got the allocation earlier this month. I think part is luck and part may have been people in front of me passing on the ADM. The most I moved on any other list was one spot and I was still not very close on any of those lists.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:39 PM
Harshersh
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
It sounds crazy that the build is locked already but delivery isn’t until next summer. Is it perhaps a “press car” or something?
he said it’s a car they were awarded for their new facility. He said the build is usually faster, but they can’t release it until a certain date 🤷🏽‍♂️

How long after you guys get your allocation and do the build does the car typically take for delivery?

Last edited by Harshersh; 11-20-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:06 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kytery
I may have found the end of the rainbow, but the Colorado Springs Porsche hit me up yesterday and said they had a 992 c2 available for delivery in a week. I’ve been trying to get an allocation for anything 992 for the last month and there’s been absolutely nothing. Like most say on here, continue the hunt and be ready to put your hold down right away even if it’s for the waitlist. That way when one comes up they know you’re serious and will hit you up.
That is great news. Those CO Springs guys are good guys. Best of luck
Old 11-21-2021, 09:49 AM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I stopped by my local dealership yesterday and spoke with an SA about trading my 992S coupe for MSRP and getting an allocation for a cab at MSRP. He told me that that's not gonna happen! They are selling used 911's for over MSRP, 91 and 992 variants, and charging 20k over for allocations. They just received a GT3 and are offering it at 100k over sticker! This is absolutely insane. I think I better just hold onto my car for the time being!
The following users liked this post:
kgs365 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wiems
I stopped by my local dealership yesterday and spoke with an SA about trading my 992S coupe for MSRP and getting an allocation for a cab at MSRP. He told me that that's not gonna happen! They are selling used 911's for over MSRP, 91 and 992 variants, and charging 20k over for allocations. They just received a GT3 and are offering it at 100k over sticker! This is absolutely insane. I think I better just hold onto my car for the time being!
Two thoughts:
  • Why would you think that in a market where you can sell a used car at MSRP that you would be able to get a new car at MSRP? To be fair, that just doesn't make sense.
  • On the other hand, when trading in a car (or a boat or upgrading homes), to me, the important number is the delta between the two (what it will cost to upgrade) and I am fairly indifferent to the two purchase prices. Of course, in a hot or inflated market, that delta also tends to also be inflated. It is usually more cost efficient to upgrade a home in a down market than a hot one. That may or may not hold true for cars. Of course, houses can be investments that are expected to appreciate and cars are consumable goods that are expected to depreciate and only in a rare market or exceptional case increase in value.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:54 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I put myself on the list at this dealership (and other lists as well) in mid-August and got the allocation earlier this month. I think part is luck and part may have been people in front of me passing on the ADM. The most I moved on any other list was one spot and I was still not very close on any of those lists.
Good for you Drew46. Curious, what model(s) did you request and what model allocation popped for you?
Old 11-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Harshersh
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts

Two thoughts:
  • Why would you think that in a market where you can sell a used car at MSRP that you would be able to get a new car at MSRP? To be fair, that just doesn't make sense.
  • On the other hand, when trading in a car (or a boat or upgrading homes), to me, the important number is the delta between the two (what it will cost to upgrade) and I am fairly indifferent to the two purchase prices. Of course, in a hot or inflated market, that delta also tends to also be inflated. It is usually more cost efficient to upgrade a home in a down market than a hot one. That may or may not hold true for cars. Of course, houses can be investments that are expected to appreciate and cars are consumable goods that are expected to depreciate and only in a rare market or exceptional case increase in value.
I got an “allocation dump” opportunity. Put a deposit for a C2 at msrp for delivery by 4/1/22. Didnt exactly want just a C2 but took what I could get right now. Guess I just got lucky
Old 11-21-2021, 11:10 PM
propofunk
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My GT3 allocation pleasantly fell through even though I was tooooold it would be MSRP. "Market changed" is all I got. 100K ADM for GT3, 120K ADM for Touring and the Touring now is a separate allocation. GT4 50k mark up. They want 10K for a base pre-paid up front. Tried my best to get it to MSRP. No dice.I'll be getting my deposit back. I'll be be holding on to my 718S for a while then. Model Y Performance is should be in December hopefully.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:00 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by propofunk
My GT3 allocation pleasantly fell through even though I was tooooold it would be MSRP. "Market changed" is all I got. 100K ADM for GT3, 120K ADM for Touring and the Touring now is a separate allocation. GT4 50k mark up. They want 10K for a base pre-paid up front. Tried my best to get it to MSRP. No dice.I'll be getting my deposit back. I'll be be holding on to my 718S for a while then. Model Y Performance is should be in December hopefully.
Unbelievable!!! The market is out of control.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:26 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 917 Likes on 512 Posts

It's the new world order - dealer profits are sky high from ADMs for doing nothing, manufacturers can produce less ICE cars as they transition to EVs with massive government subsidies, and the consumer is taken for a ride on everything from cars to food to appliances, you name it. Two slices of "premium" pizza cost me $7.80 last week - I'm making my own pizzas now.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:47 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
Good for you Drew46. Curious, what model(s) did you request and what model allocation popped for you?
Targa GTS.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:50 AM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Targa GTS.
That's awesome Drew46! I hear what you're saying about the delta between the trade and the price for the new car. It's just that I figured a bird in the hand - my 992 that they could flip in a week for a quick 20k profit, would be worth getting me an allocation at MSRP. The market keeps changing though, and this is where we are at now. I guess I'm just glad that I have a pretty sweet car right now!
Old 11-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wiems
That's awesome Drew46! I hear what you're saying about the delta between the trade and the price for the new car. It's just that I figured a bird in the hand - my 992 that they could flip in a week for a quick 20k profit, would be worth getting me an allocation at MSRP. The market keeps changing though, and this is where we are at now. I guess I'm just glad that I have a pretty sweet car right now!

Indeed. You are in a place that many people would love to be in! And like I mentioned, any premium you get on your trade is likely to be more than offset on the premium you will pay on a new one. I am sure lots of people will chime in to say that they would never pay over MSRP and a few will be able to say that they paid MSRP, but I have to assume that a dealer that is paying over MSRP for your used car is not going to sell you the new one without a premium. If they are willing to do that, then I suggest you (1) take that deal right away and (2) short the dealers stock.*

*Yes, I know the dealer is almost definitely not publicly traded. Its a demonstrative hypothetical comment.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:24 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

FYI. I'm already hearing $100k over MSRP for a GT4RS. Porsche dealers seem to have no trouble getting that.

In September, I agreed to pay MSRP for the first time ever on a car. It was for an allocation and build slot that should arrive at port by year end. The GM has told me that I was one of the last customers to secure a car for MSRP -- ADMs and market adjustments are now the norm for them.

I've got a deposit in on a completely different car and have been promised an allocation here in December. The dealer won't commit to the purchase price yet -- I just got off the phone with my sales guy. They're still promising me an allocation, but it's crickets when it comes to the price. I suspect that they're telling all of us that we're getting allocations, ie. more buyers than cars. Once they get the actual number of build slots, they'll break the news that it's going to come with some substantial ADM or market adjustment, hoping that it thins us out. For this one, I predict that I will be asking for my deposit back.

This is the current state of buying a car in this environment. I don't expect it to change anytime soon. Next year, the ADMs that people paid in 2021 might seem quaint. These may be the "good deals" compared to what 2022 may bring. If you really want one of these cars that are in demand, you'll be paying a premium.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:03 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

I told my wife it's time to get me into a mental health institution if I ever pay any serious dealer markup.
I just bought this gorgeous and well-cared for 1-owner 991.2 911 Turbo with 13.5k miles for $100k less than my desired configurator-build 992 911 Turbo S, including additional sales tax, but zero dealer markup. It's far better 911 than I ever dreamed it would be. Now I can wait for the zero dealer markups to return.

Last edited by PCA1983; 11-22-2021 at 11:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PCA1983:
843Spyder (11-23-2021), Vista6019 (11-22-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 Allocation