PCCB On a 911 C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Annnd there you have it.

OP, don’t ever take advice about Porsche options from anyone who hasn’t lived with them.
OP, Here is some good reading
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

and, for the majority of us, PCCB brakes are a $9K spend to get yellow calipers and less brake dust. From a value perspective, that does not make sense.

Now, not having an S means you will get bigger brakes - and that might be worth it to you. But I might add, at that point (C4 with PCCB) you are $7k away from getting the S..

something to think about…
Old 07-26-2021, 09:58 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
OP, Here is some good reading
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

and, for the majority of us, PCCB brakes are a $9K spend to get yellow calipers and less brake dust. From a value perspective, that does not make sense.

Now, not having an S means you will get bigger brakes - and that might be worth it to you. But I might add, at that point (C4 with PCCB) you are $7k away from getting the S..

When I picked PCCBs, I picked them for aesthetics and the lack of brake dust. The performance was an unexpected bonus.

Take out the significant reduction in unsprung weight, the bite of the brakes and overall performance, the looks....is $9k worth it to never wash your wheels?

People ridicule this a lot on here....but it is. My time is worth the money. Avoiding busted knuckles and the aggravation of spending 30+ minutes cleaning wheels is worth $9k over the life of the car. Never having to see nasty, dusted up wheels within 1-2 car drives is worth it.

So really - it depends on how you value your time and how much you value a clean looking car. When you add in the looks and performance on top of that -- for many of us, PCCBs make perfect sense and are well worth the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
992Sam (07-26-2021), Mercuriell (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
When I picked PCCBs, I picked them for aesthetics and the lack of brake dust. The performance was an unexpected bonus.

Take out the significant reduction in unsprung weight, the bite of the brakes and overall performance, the looks....is $9k worth it to never wash your wheels?

People ridicule this a lot on here....but it is. My time is worth the money. Avoiding busted knuckles and the aggravation of spending 30+ minutes cleaning wheels is worth $9k over the life of the car. Never having to see nasty, dusted up wheels within 1-2 car drives is worth it.

So really - it depends on how you value your time and how much you value a clean looking car. When you add in the looks and performance on top of that -- for many of us, PCCBs make perfect sense and are well worth the money.

Very well said, I mean we're all sitting here driving cars in the price range of $120-$230K and debating a $9K option for a major component of the car, which actually has some of the biggest returns of any option..

1) They look way better.
a) Better looking hubs
b) Better looking rotors
c) Better looking calipers

2) They perform better
a) Significantly better heat dissipation
b) Lower
unsprung weight leading to faster acceleration / deceleration
c) 5x lower wear rate of the pads, and effectively life time rotors for street use

3) They add to resale value, and ease of resale
a) My dealer told me a car with PCCB's is 2 times easier to sell from their lot

4) They operate cleaner
a) No brake dust and associated grime that attaches
b) By extension, no corrosive effect on the wheels
c) Suspension remains cleaner due to less brake dust

Last edited by 992Sam; 07-26-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:17 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
… I might add, at that point (C4 with PCCB) you are $7k away from getting the S..

I remember back when the 991.2 T was launched, adding ceramics would have the starting price above an S! 😆
Old 07-26-2021, 02:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I remember back when the 991.2 T was launched, adding ceramics would have the starting price above an S! 😆
I personally think on the 991.2 T, the PCCB was a mandatory option.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:02 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ Wow, you're reaching.....big time......to justify the money you threw away on PCCM.

I take my car in every few weeks for a hand wash, and washing the wheels takes almost no extra time, perhaps 1 minute and a few extra bucks?

Come on, get real....
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:12 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Wow, you're reaching.....big time......to justify the money you threw away on PCCM.

I take my car in every few weeks for a hand wash, and washing the wheels takes almost no extra time, perhaps 1 minute and a few extra bucks?

Come on, get real....
will never look the same... washing wheels properly, getting the dust off the inside of the wheel, the brake calipers, and the inner suspension components is a LOT of work... PCCB = 0 dust/dirt anywhere... for us OCD inflicted types, that's worth every bit of $9K
Mercuriell (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Come on, get real....
Lol, sure thing buddy. If you’re spending almost no time on cleaning wheels then your wheels look like crap or you’re not really driving. You should have got a Camry - Serious value!
992Sam (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:58 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ I've posted pics of my car here (Recent drive pictures). The wheels look fine.

It's your money, so if that's what you value then cool. But I think the "dirty wheel" argument to justify PCCB is......way exaggerated
doug_999 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:11 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

^ I've posted pics of my car here (Recent drive pictures). The wheels look fine.

It's your money, so if that's what you value then cool. But I think the "dirty wheel" argument to justify PCCB is......way exaggerated
All kidding aside - these are Porsches. I mean I am spending $13k on green paint of all things. Value is a lost cause. These things are supposed to make you happy - get whatever options makes you happy. Value should be the least of anyone’s concerns, IMO.

And one thing I can tell you that I’m not exaggerating. My deep and unabiding hatred of cleaning wheels.

Plus they look really cool. That counts for a lot in my book.

They also really do perform beautifully well, but people don’t seem really interested in hearing about that since Brake performance is not the most exciting topic.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
992Sam (07-26-2021), smiles11 (07-26-2021), Tupper (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Come on, get real....
First rule of message boards for car enthusiasts.

Never tell another person how not to spend their money.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
992Sam (07-26-2021), doug_999 (07-26-2021), Tupper (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:23 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

All kidding aside - these are Porsches. I mean I am spending $13k on green paint of all things. Value is a lost cause. These things are supposed to make you happy - get whatever options makes you happy. Value should be the least of anyone’s concerns, IMO.

And one thing I can tell you that I’m not exaggerating. My deep and unabiding hatred of cleaning wheels.

Plus they look really cool. That counts for a lot in my book.

They also really do perform beautifully well, but people don’t seem really interested in hearing about that since Brake performance is not the most exciting topic.
Exactly I spent $7,300 on upgraded leather on a car with a base sticker of $108,500.
992Sam (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:25 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

or your metric of 'fine" is very different from many of us... Some of us are fetish level clean.. For example, I never even drive my car when it's raining out. Are you that meticulous?
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992Sam
or your metric of 'fine" is very different from many of us... Some of us are fetish level clean.. For example, I never even drive my car when it's raining out. Are you that meticulous?
^ You mean, do I have OCD? No.

I own a car, not a museum.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:41 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

I had my wheels ceramic coated when I had the car done. Brake dust doesn't stick to the wheels. A shot of water and a quick swipe with the brush has a wheel clean in less than a minute. Usually, when my wheels are dirty enough to notice, the rest of the car needs to be washed, too-- so PCCB's would keep the wheels clean, while the rest of the car needs washing. What's the point of that?

If ceramics were $1000 or $2000, I could rationalize buying them, but at $9000, the value equation just doesn't work for me.
doug_999 (07-26-2021)

Quick Reply: PCCB On a 911 C4