Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB On a 911 C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 01:31 AM
MRI-Jedi
AutoX

Received 59 Likes on 8 Posts

Worth the cost. Zero squeaks in 3500 miles. Zero dust. Amazing braking. Gorgeous to behold.

The following 2 users liked this post by MRI-Jedi:
992Sam (07-22-2021), Mark S (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:59 PM
motorchimp
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, n00bie to renn but not to Pcars, waiting on a C4 allocation and have been beating this topic to death with the wife, selecting PCCBs, un-selecting PCCBs on our build. For now we've decided to skip this option mainly because of WHAT WE WANT FROM THE CAR, which I think should be a big factor and discussion topic too. Our C4 will be a fun touring car, short to medium trips around the area, driving to work, and not needing to sweat gravel or roads muddled with post-winter salt and junk that could end up lodging itself in there - This was my biggest decision factor. Not gonna track our car, maybe some spirited driving but that's about it. Yes, yes, we don't NEED a 911 for that, but that's why we also have a Macan and a Wrangler, so we WANT a 911 to enjoy touring drives, drives to work, and normal commuting and driving around.

So my 4 cents, what swayed me away from PCCBs is i'm OCD about EVERYTHING and will constantly be anxious about getting something lodged in there (had it happen in the past on my 986 three times, and 997 once), and PCCB performance isn't warranted for my driving style. I wanted them for the 'special car' thing (lets say 80% looks, 20% performance in my case?), but instead decided that interior options will make it even more special for pleasure and relaxed driving versus tracking, so I decided to skip them so I can have peace of mind driving our C4 everywhere. I'll still enjoy seeing other 911's with yellow brakes and smile, but i'm personally picking the peace of mind of not having to sweat the roads i'm going on. Base brakes and elbow grease cleaning the rims to be for me
Old 07-22-2021, 02:51 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by motorchimp
Hello, n00bie to renn but not to Pcars, waiting on a C4 allocation and have been beating this topic to death with the wife, selecting PCCBs, un-selecting PCCBs on our build. For now we've decided to skip this option mainly because of WHAT WE WANT FROM THE CAR, which I think should be a big factor and discussion topic too. Our C4 will be a fun touring car, short to medium trips around the area, driving to work, and not needing to sweat gravel or roads muddled with post-winter salt and junk that could end up lodging itself in there - This was my biggest decision factor. Not gonna track our car, maybe some spirited driving but that's about it. Yes, yes, we don't NEED a 911 for that, but that's why we also have a Macan and a Wrangler, so we WANT a 911 to enjoy touring drives, drives to work, and normal commuting and driving around.

So my 4 cents, what swayed me away from PCCBs is i'm OCD about EVERYTHING …
I can promise you that you’re not ocd about the single thing relating to disc brakes. .. BREAKDUST!!!

Last edited by 992Sam; 07-22-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
That's amusing.

Clearly there are situations where a person can have a valid point of view on the suitability of an option for their use case - that may be of value to folks in similar situations - without having had a car with that option.
My reasons for not wanting PCCBs on any 911 I own are succinctly stated above. You may disagree based on your use case, but they are nonetheless valid.

Do I need to have had a Burmester system to know that with my limited hearing in the higher frequencies it's a waste of money for me? No.
Do I need to have had Matrix headlights to know they are of limited value to me given that I rarely drive at night outside the city, and that even the PDLS lights I had on previous cars were a waste of money for how and where I drive? No.
Do I need to have had a CF roof to know that the weight savings are minimal and that it's mainly cosmetic, but still hold the valid opinion that it looks very cool? No.

Unless you own a 992 that literally has every option available, and you can honestly say you've never in your 11,000+ posts voiced an opinion about an option you haven't had on a car you've owned personally, you might want to rethink your assertion.
No I actually haven't spouted opinions on the performance of cars or options I've never owned. I'll offer opinions on seats (I've owned most of them), brakes (I've owned both on multiple Porsches), and transmissions (owned both the manuals and the PDK). I agree that one can voice an opinion as to why they didn't choose an option and how they came to that conclusion, but someone opining to the actual performance of an option that requires actual experience is laughable. And as is repeated over and over and over and over on Rennlist, the negative opinions about PCCB and LWBS come from people who've never actually owned a car with them and lived with them for any extent of time. Those opinions are useless.

Your examples above are not remotely comparable to brakes.

Last edited by Archimedes; 07-22-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:49 PM
motorchimp
AutoX

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I can promise you that you’re not ocd about the single thing relating to disc brakes. .. BREAKDUST!!!
LOL, on my 997 it was so bad that after a few months of ownership and washing it myself, my driveway had two BLACK streaks going down the width of the front wheels because of how much brake dust came off with every wash. Macan is the same but with all 4 wheels, I'll detail the wheels and two drives in they'e coated in that #@%#$^%$.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:51 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

LOL, on my 997 it was so bad that after a few months of ownership and washing it myself, my driveway had two BLACK streaks going down the width of the front wheels because of how much brake dust came off with every wash. Macan is the same but with all 4 wheels, I'll detail the wheels and two drives in they'e coated in that #@%#$^%$.
but that's what makes PCCB's so amazing... in 18000 miles and a year and a half, I've literally gotten as much dust as I did on my BMW in a day..
Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 PM
motorchimp
AutoX

but that's what makes PCCB's so amazing... in 18000 miles and a year and a half, I've literally gotten as much dust as I did on my BMW in a day..
Yeah 100% with you. Remember, I've added them and deleted them from my build around 100X already

My biggest thing was getting yellow tach face and yellow wart face on dash to tie in with the PCCB's yellow calipers on full leather black interior. Now I only have the yellow dials and my peace of mind
Old 07-22-2021, 03:59 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Yeah 100% with you. Remember, I've added them and deleted them from my build around 100X already

My biggest thing was getting yellow tach face and yellow wart face on dash to tie in with the PCCB's yellow calipers on full leather black interior. Now I only have the yellow dials and my peace of mind

Ya mean like this??? 😉

Old 07-22-2021, 04:01 PM
motorchimp
AutoX

Ya mean like this??? 😉
Yes exactly
I did see your amazing build pics in the past and used them as reference for the yellow faces for us to decide based on real pics vs the OK configurator virtual views.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:03 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 126 Posts

I've also started strongly considering the PCCB's for a few reasons - one of which is cosmetic. I honestly like the look of the yellow calipers with the Aventurine Green. It's also my first 911, so I want to get the best experience possible. That said - I do anticipate this being a bit of a daily driver in the northeast, From those in the know, are there any practical reasons NOT to get the PCCB's, other than cost?

Old 07-22-2021, 08:33 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
I've also started strongly considering the PCCB's for a few reasons - one of which is cosmetic. I honestly like the look of the yellow calipers with the Aventurine Green. It's also my first 911, so I want to get the best experience possible. That said - I do anticipate this being a bit of a daily driver in the northeast, From those in the know, are there any practical reasons NOT to get the PCCB's, other than cost?
PCCBs are awesome, but they’re not the perfect choice for everyone.

A few reasons to skip PCCB’s
  1. They’re less than awesome in the cold and the wet. The initial lack of bite in those conditions will wake you up. If you’re driving all year round in the northeast, this is a real consideration.
  2. If you’re swapping wheels frequently, ie. regularly tracking your car, you do risk damaging the PCCBs. For this and other reasons, Porsche itself recommends steel rotors for the owners that regularly track their cars. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...r-race-tracks/
  3. If you’re enjoying your 911 like it should be enjoyed, the PCCBs don’t last forever. The $10k-ish incremental difference in purchase price brings with it much higher replacement costs on what is a wear and tear item.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
gcurnew (07-23-2021), SBAD (07-24-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:41 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I have also read in the forums that you can damage a rotor by a stone getting stuck in the caliper and then the you will need a new rotor at crazy high price. I am not sure if this a concern or not. Maybe a few people getting unlucky. It’s making me rethink them in my spec.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:46 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S
I have also read in the forums that you can damage a rotor by a stone getting stuck in the caliper and then the you will need a new rotor at crazy high price. I am not sure if this a concern or not. Maybe a few people getting unlucky. It’s making me rethink them in my spec.
Pay to play. Freak accidents can occur. You have to be ok with that.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I am okay with a freak accident, just concerned if it is somewhat common.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:51 PM
JRW1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

If money is a concern, then I would stick with standard brakes to reduce upfront and future cost. If money is not a concern, then go for it

Quick Reply: PCCB On a 911 C4