Sponsored by:

Best sounding and loudest aftermarket exhaust for 992 carrerras

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 09:05 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I’m just wondering how you figure that even if he was an expert at Google how he could do better on Google then here on Rennlist where there are thousands and thousands of dedicated enthusiasts to the Porsche platform who have connections all over the world for every part of this platform? I would think anyone would do much better asking here then having a go at Google. I have had much better luck here than hours of Internet searches. Obviously you don’t and I’d like to hear why. Thanks.
The question was "where can I buy an Akra exhaust". That is answered in 10 sec via a Google search. Very legitimate to refer to this forum for experiences with different type of exhaust or installers you would trust. No doubt it is easier for whoever asks a question to ask a forum rather than do some homework first. That's why you see so many folks ask the same questions over and over though they could be answered easily by reading the manual or doing a forum search first. But that is to be expected in this "immediate gratification me, me, me" society...
Old 05-27-2022, 10:39 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
The question was "where can I buy an Akra exhaust". That is answered in 10 sec via a Google search. Very legitimate to refer to this forum for experiences with different type of exhaust or installers you would trust. No doubt it is easier for whoever asks a question to ask a forum rather than do some homework first. That's why you see so many folks ask the same questions over and over though they could be answered easily by reading the manual or doing a forum search first. But that is to be expected in this "immediate gratification me, me, me" society...
so maybe we should reduce the forum to only pictures of our cars and pictures of our dogs and tell all the newbies to read their manual and do a search on the forum first? Good grief. I’m hoping you’re not a schoolteacher or a coach.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
Tupper (05-27-2022), vic55 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:30 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by stef@europipe
That’s where the Europipe shines: great sound from idle to redline and 100% guaranteed drone free.

Have not seen this one yet. Need to google for some audio clips then. Similar like the Sharkwerks, it mounts the valve motors to not confuse the OEM setup but is an always open system, right? So, the OEM buttons become decoration.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:32 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by German1967
when someone ask a simple question like that I would think what he means is if someone knows of a preferred vendor they trust to buy from (better pricing, better service, quick shipping etc). No big deal to ask.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:47 AM
vic55
Racer

Received 757 Likes on 143 Posts

TFL Italy Rear Section set up with Soul HFC's --- as you all know Iphone videos dont do exhaust notes or level of loudness ... justice but Im very happy with this setup. Why the frankenstein setup? I wanted what was readily available and the high flow cats, in reality for the 992, dont deviate much in tonal adjustment as the hardware is very similiar along with the shape(s). The only difference is if one wants a 3 inch pipe set up from Soul but that would require their rear section and neither was available on the ground.

I just got the rev limiter pulled via M Engineering so Ill get a standstill video too:

dhirm5 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:54 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ Nice, but how high did your RPMs go in that video?

In my set up it sounds just blissful when you get to 6k or higher RPM. Pitch starts to get higher, and it sounds almost Ferrari-like. Before people freak out over my saying that, no it would never sound like a Ferrari or even close. But it has that higher pitch note at higher RPMs that just sings, and has a hint of Ferrari to it.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:00 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vic55
TFL Italy Rear Section set up with Soul HFC's --- as you all know Iphone videos dont do exhaust notes or level of loudness ... justice but Im very happy with this setup. Why the frankenstein setup? I wanted what was readily available and the high flow cats, in reality for the 992, dont deviate much in tonal adjustment as the hardware is very similiar along with the shape(s). The only difference is if one wants a 3 inch pipe set up from Soul but that would require their rear section and neither was available on the ground.

I just got the rev limiter pulled via M Engineering so Ill get a standstill video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqXIV9ou5LA&t=7s
If I understand you correct you are saying the HFC's did not make much of a difference but its mostly from the TFL rear? So, if you would do it again would you skip the HFC?
Old 05-27-2022, 12:14 PM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Have not seen this one yet. Need to google for some audio clips then. Similar like the Sharkwerks, it mounts the valve motors to not confuse the OEM setup but is an always open system, right? So, the OEM buttons become decoration.

Yes that is correct, its an always open system. The electric motors must be reinstalled otherwise you’ll get a CEL. The mounts for the motors are part of the exhaust.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:53 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 757 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Nice, but how high did your RPMs go in that video?

In my set up it sounds just blissful when you get to 6k or higher RPM. Pitch starts to get higher, and it sounds almost Ferrari-like. Before people freak out over my saying that, no it would never sound like a Ferrari or even close. But it has that higher pitch note at higher RPMs that just sings, and has a hint of Ferrari to it.
I didnt take it that high--- the road has a huge dip so I cut it early for sure. Its a very loud set up at 7k as my data logging runs have yielded (while Im out logging). My valves were not tuned yet either to be wide open until later that day so the car is much better with that option as well. I had a capristo on my 458 and that was just a brilliant v8 machine but this car is more of a LeMans shrieker in nature.

And that was the techs IPhone--- I need to get it done better but its great so far.

Originally Posted by Tobeit
If I understand you correct you are saying the HFC's did not make much of a difference but its mostly from the TFL rear? So, if you would do it again would you skip the HFC?
No, you need both IMHO, the oem cats are 700 cell and really hinder noise while the TFL (tubi spinoff from the owner) creates more sound and tonal change. Another huge thing to do is the valving via M Engineering but that thats another 2500 retail some wont want to pay.

Last edited by vic55; 05-27-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:31 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanaut
As far as I know, you cannot keep the stock tips. I had a reputable local Porsche shop install it and they said they tried but the stock tips were a bit too tight against the exhaust and they didn’t feel comfortable not installing the Akra tips.
@aquanaut This is exactly what I am running into today as my car is in the shop.

I REALLY wanted to keep my stock tips with my Akrapovic but my installer is tackling this today and saying that the stock tips are much deeper behind the bumper than the Akra tips and they are conflicting with the new exhaust preventing reinstallation of the bumper.

Lots of people have said that you can keep the stock tips, but I've never seen anyone on here actually do it. Perhaps it is speculation and it really can't be done.
mdrobc1213 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 01:32 PM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by brianja
@aquanaut This is exactly what I am running into today as my car is in the shop.

I REALLY wanted to keep my stock tips with my Akrapovic but my installer is tackling this today and saying that the stock tips are much deeper behind the bumper than the Akra tips and they are conflicting with the new exhaust preventing reinstallation of the bumper.

Lots of people have said that you can keep the stock tips, but I've never seen anyone on here actually do it. Perhaps it is speculation and it really can't be done.
Pretty sure it has been speculation all along since it wasn't obvious that you can't keep the stock tips. I too really wanted to keep the stock ones (primarily because I prefer black tips) but I don't think it can be done with the Akra exhaust.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ I was told the same, but I didn't believe it.

It is literally one of the reasons I didn't go with Akrapovic. I want my black tips, and they don't furnish them.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:23 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I was told the same, but I didn't believe it.

It is literally one of the reasons I didn't go with Akrapovic. I want my black tips, and they don't furnish them.
It is a shame. It seems like it would be any easy adjustment for them to make to have it possible to use either. Perhaps they want to make sure that everyone has to run the tips with their name on them?

I wanted to keep my chrome tips and have it look totally stock, but the titanium tips with chrome inners will not be out of place on my build, so I told them to go ahead.

If you wanted black I'd think it wouldn't be too terrible to have that finish applied to the Akrapovic tips, though it is a hassle.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:36 PM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

It is a shame. It seems like it would be any easy adjustment for them to make to have it possible to use either. Perhaps they want to make sure that everyone has to run the tips with their name on them?

I wanted to keep my chrome tips and have it look totally stock, but the titanium tips with chrome inners will not be out of place on my build, so I told them to go ahead.

If you wanted black I'd think it wouldn't be too terrible to have that finish applied to the Akrapovic tips, though it is a hassle.
Had I known, I would have coated them but only learned of the issue as it was being installed. Agree it will look good on your car regardless, but I also would love for it to blend in with my car a bit more.
brianja (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 03:08 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aquanaut
Had I known, I would have coated them but only learned of the issue as it was being installed. Agree it will look good on your car regardless, but I also would love for it to blend in with my car a bit more.
Makes sense to me. Hope to see mine in a few hours. Hopefully it looks ok.

Quick Reply: Best sounding and loudest aftermarket exhaust for 992 carrerras