New Delivery Delays?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 04:50 PM
sanford
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking Great News

Originally Posted by macanspnw
Update for those on the Viking Queen. Dealer called last night and said my C2S has been released to quality control at the port. After that it's on a truck to the dealer. with a little luck car will be here by next Monday. Maybe sooner. YAY!!!.
Great news. My C2S was on the Viking Queen as well. My dealer is only 33 miles from the port. I hope I hear from him soon.
The following users liked this post:
macanspnw (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:14 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Same here and you and I have almost the exact same schedule. I keep telling myself it's just gonna take a few more days for it to sort itself out. My understanding is anytime you resubmit a new configuration, any exclusive manufacture options have to be re-approved. Did you ask your SA what your production status number went to? Mine went from 200 back to 170
My status number on the PNA Spec Sheet is "V200 -- Delivery Date determined." My sales pro said it's possible that the date will move back, but that I should not count on it.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:14 AM
Megatron718
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
My GT4 has been released to a carrier at the Port of Baltimore. I should be notified that it’s on a truck soon (hoping today/tomorrow).
It was processed into the port on 5/17. The last update showed a quality hold until 6/4, so it’s well ahead of schedule!

FWIW - I was concerned that the TPMS sensor “fix” could involve breaking the factory bead of each tire to insert a sensor. While the bead gets broken at some point once tires are changed, there’s nothing as good as the factory balance and seal.

My GM told me that they don’t touch the wheels. The sensor is located on the underside of the car. They lift the car, attach the sensor, and then drive it so the car “learns” the setting. I don’t know if they actually lift the car or if they drive over a “pit” with a tech below. And I don’t know if the car is driven, or put on a machine (roller) to simulate miles so the TPMS sensor can “learn” the settings. Once everything checks out they will load on a truck.

I was relieved that they are not changing the bead-seal or balance of the wheels. It could arrive at the dealer any day as we are only about 4 hours from Baltimore (probably 5 if driving a big rig).

Woohooo!
I think my Cayman is in the same lot because it also arrived Baltimore via RCC Classic on May 17. May I ask which dealer you are working with, and if they have notified you that your car is inbound?
Old 05-26-2021, 11:35 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

My 992 has been sitting at my local dealer for almost 2 weeks (“stop sale” until TPMS fixed) ... the TPMS parts are due to arrive from Germany today and delivery scheduled for Saturday AM ! 😃
Old 05-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Bekim911

Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts

RCC CLASSIC at port since 5/17 anyone else, any updates?
Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev
My 992 has been sitting at my local dealer for almost 2 weeks (“stop sale” until TPMS fixed) ... the TPMS parts are due to arrive from Germany today and delivery scheduled for Saturday AM ! 😃
At least it made it to the Dealer, you can go look at it...SMH Mines sitting at the port probably on daily joy rides LOL
Old 05-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Megatron718
4th Gear

@Bekim911 According to the post above from "Needmoregarage," his GT4 has been released to a carrier at the Port of Baltimore.

Last edited by Megatron718; 05-26-2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-26-2021, 01:18 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
FWIW - I was concerned that the TPMS sensor “fix” could involve breaking the factory bead of each tire to insert a sensor. While the bead gets broken at some point once tires are changed, there’s nothing as good as the factory balance and seal.

My GM told me that they don’t touch the wheels. The sensor is located on the underside of the car. They lift the car, attach the sensor, and then drive it so the car “learns” the setting. I don’t know if they actually lift the car or if they drive over a “pit” with a tech below. And I don’t know if the car is driven, or put on a machine (roller) to simulate miles so the TPMS sensor can “learn” the settings. Once everything checks out they will load on a truck.
I could be COMPLETELY wrong here... but the TMPS sensors are in the actual wheel (connected to the valve stem). I'm not sure how the sensor for the Tire Pressure could be on the understide of the car - but who knows.

However... nothing magic about how the factory installs the tires - and the port is trained to match what they do (but probably under more guidance/visual inspection)- so even if they did have to dismount the tires, they should be as good, if not better, than the factory install.

Last edited by doug_999; 05-26-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Megatron718 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:34 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Megatron718
@Bekim911 According to the post above from "Needmoregarage," his her GT4 has been released to a carrier at the Port of Baltimore.
fixed it for ya

Originally Posted by doug_999
I could be COMPLETELY wrong here... but the TMPS sensors are in the actual wheel (connected to the valve stem). I'm not sure how the sensor for the Tire Pressure could be on the understide of the car - but who knows.

However... nothing magic about how the factory installs the tires - and the port is trained to match what they do (but probably under more guidance/visual inspection)- so even if they did have to dismount the tires, they should be as good, if not better, than the factory install.
you are correct that the TPMS sensors are located at the valve stem of each wheel. The way it was explained to me, those four sensors are already in place. There’s a “central” sensor that apparently is the item that communicates with the car. That “central” sensor is affixed to the underside. (Per GM’s explanation) The “central” sensor is the item missing due to the microchip shortage.
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
Megatron718 (05-26-2021), Tedster (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Megatron718
4th Gear

[QUOTE=needmoregarage;17454354]fixed it for ya

My apologies, madam. (bows politely)

How did you find out your GT4 has been released?
needmoregarage (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:50 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 665 Posts

My GM told my husband when he stopped by the dealership yesterday. Generally, I ask my SA or GM for updates whenever I want to know. Of course they only know what’s reported in the system. I’ll be checking tomorrow if I don’t get news today.
Megatron718 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:53 PM
Megatron718
4th Gear

Thank you so much! Hopefully my Cayman is on the same truck as your GT4.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:29 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999

You are pretty much correct in that the sensors are located in the wheels as needmoregarage stated. They do transmit a signal to a central control unit which well could be the issue. TPMS sensors are the most common form of tire pressure sensing but there are some cars out there that do not use a sensor in the wheel. Their system works off of the ABS, simplifying the process the car is able to calculate the circumference of the wheel and tire via the number of rotations of the wheel. It gets this info from the ABS sensor on the hub, if the tire pressure changes, goes down or up, then the overall circumference has changed and it gives a warning light on the dash.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:27 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

I was also on the Rcc Classic. So it sounds like sensors will be received at port Saturday? Sounds like I should have my car early next week then.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:06 PM
sportmode
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

My C2S, was also on the RCC Classic, and is still parked in Baltimore. If my car could sing, it might go something like this...

"I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time"

-Otis Redding

Last edited by sportmode; 05-26-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: New Delivery Delays?