Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 11:56 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
Scott is a FL resident as am I.
There is no "stifling melancholy" here what so ever, not even close. We had very brief bar, restaurant, etc. closures for about 6 weeks at this time last year. The winter season here has been glorious with great weather, boating, pool barbecues, bars rocking, restaurants operating normally. New construction exploding everywhere accompanied by a very positive across the board attitude and mindset.
Elections certainly have consequences.
The only real downside to owning sports cars here is the flat straight roads. Almost no twisties other than the sweeping highway off ramps. Probably more fun for some guys to own a Hellcat Red Eye here than a 911.
Thank God for rational leaders here in FL.
You will never appreciate a 911 until you track it.
FL has year round track days !
Old 03-31-2021, 12:44 AM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

911's basically own the road .. they are just that good compared to most vehicles on 4 wheels
Many owners know that, want that and enjoy the day to day excellence that sums up a Porsche, especially a 911
If OP looking for something different could consider a GT4 with PDK to make DD a bit less of a hassle
Keep searching until you find an answer ..
The following 2 users liked this post by MFC993:
dribar (04-01-2021), Scott Mayers (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:05 AM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 119 Posts

My dream fell sort of flat too. I lusted after a 991.2 GT3 manual forever, and once I had it I kept it for about 10 months. On the street it just wasn't more fun than my modified 987.2 Boxster S which I found myself continuing to drive while the GT3 stayed in the garage. These new cars are just too ridiculously fast to actually feel engagement with on the street without being absolutely reckless. Slow(er) car fast is a real thing. 718 Spyder might be the sweet spot for me.

Last edited by chapmans; 03-31-2021 at 02:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chapmans:
dribar (04-01-2021), yooj (04-13-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 03:00 AM
PCJR
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I tried very hard to stay with my 2020 C2S. I had it for just about one year but the experience was less than pleasant. Service at two dealerships was horse****. I gave one dealer three attempts to correct the rattles and buzzing that drove me crazy. When they couldn't repair it I took it to another dealer who phoned me within 30 minutes of dropping it off to tell me they would not even attempt to look at it since it was into another dealer within two months for attempted repairs. No question the performance was quite good and when I ultimately traded it away I received within $2k of what I paid. For that I couldn't complain, I just wished it would have checked more boxes for me. I'm happily back into an R8 spyder performance that is solid as a bank vault and keeps a smile on my face. Not bashing, just sharing my experience with what was my 7th new 911 Porsche and sadly likely my last.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:15 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
A 911 is not for everyone, myself included.

The only Porsche that excites me is one of the GT iterations (GT3/RS or GT2 RS).

Sell your car, move on, life's too short.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Does a 911 really have to be "exciting"?

Isn't it enough that it is capable?

ß

Old 03-31-2021, 04:21 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I find it ABSOLUTELY CRAZY everyone apparently is so self absorbed here on Porsches...
On Rennlist, dude. Not Bimmerfest...

For the OP. I find the 992 an amazing, fast, capable platform. But I also found it heavy and didn’t thrill me. Before you abandon the brand for a inferior marque, give an early gen a try. It’ll have what you’re looking for.

ß
Old 03-31-2021, 07:32 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

A some interesting posts here and I can’t give anymore insight...but I will share that I only started to fully enjoy my 911s when I had two of them...the 911 for the odd track day - spirited drive that sort of thing - and the other to appreciate all things the car can do - when not doing it - as I make a run to Home Depot or go to work...talk on a cell phone...two different tasks. I have a F33 with MPPK I have had fun with suspension - with Alpina wheels and body bits....but that was bought (again) for a different task because it is the only hardtop convertible in AWD I liked for a climate that is cold 30% of the year. Now will try a restomod in an 73 E10 where I have to work with 108 hp yet only 2000 lbs..a different experience again....so I can empathize with the OP that he’s not feeling it some days - some situations. If I could have only 1 car...tasked with all of the above and driving my 8 year old to school, a 99x is not my choice...but thinking globally to two vehicles a C2S MT, SPASM sport exhaust with my wife driving ANY attractive SUV or Avant that we like the seating position and ride comfort would be where I focus my attention in that there exists no vehicle to suit every mood and task. We been marketed to so well by manufacturers...that we tend to think it’s possible- but I don’t think it is IMHO.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:19 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

I would admit that if I DD this car I would get bored with it too. But that’s the problem. It’s not the car that is boring. It’s the fact that it’s being driven in a boring way.

What I mean is, on the days where I elect to take this car to work instead of my SUV, I also find it boring. Why wouldn’t it be? You’re stuck in traffic behind Camrys, VW Jettas, and the umpteenth minivan that’s occupying the left lane.

This car is basically a showpiece on those days, but I admit I get bored with it too.

When I take it out for fun driving on weekends, that’s where I comes alive. Admittedly, though, I need to find new places to fun drive it. I’m still nervous about attempting to track it.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:37 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Some things just don’t work the same for all of us. Cars, great restaurants, vacation spots, you name it. Can name the number of times I’ve spoken with friends who had totally different experience and opinion about a restaurant or vacation spot we either loved or didn’t.

Same with cars in many ways. The 911 has been refined in numerous ways over its lifetime and to some that has wrung out the unpredictability and raw nature of the car and possibly to new owners the car seems extremely capable and just what they wanted.

I remember getting my first 911 over 25 years ago and it seemed fairly spartan inside, noisy, and tossable and fun to drive. I still love my 911 but it has changed, many many things for the better especially the reliability and daily drive ease. But it is a more refined car than past versions and yet much quicker and confidence inspiring. The earlier cars were tail happy and required more attention when driving. The 911 needed many of the things time has provided in improvements and is one of the best and most reliable performance cars one can buy.

With all the variants and GT cars in the line up there should be something for all but there are other great cars out there to just keep looking for what checks all the boxes. It’s possible once that itch is scratched you may end up back in a Porsche for all the other reasons.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (04-11-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 08:44 AM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

I can empathize with the OP, as I've been in his position earlier in life. For me it was a form of idolatry -- always chasing something that would make me happy. Didn't matter if it was a jet, car, woman, boat or whatever. I was always chasing and hoping success in the hunt would make me happy. Never did. Went through a lot of jets/cars/boats/women and still wasn't happy. Made enough money to buy Miami but pissed it away so fast Then with some much-needed Grace and guidance, I learned that my wife and kids were really my source of happiness.

I remember getting my first 911, and after a few months thinking the same things - why the heck did I buy this car? It doesn't make me happy at all. Fast forward a decade and now I just drive my 992 back and forth to work on the flat SW Florida roads. I enjoy the entirety of the Porsche brand and really enjoy driving my 911 (on most days)... but with this one, there is no pressure on the car to make me happy.

Good luck.

The following 6 users liked this post by dribar:
BCWatty (08-16-2021), Ikiru (03-31-2021), lbahoshy (06-02-2021), Master Deep (04-12-2021), SBAD (03-31-2021), Tupper (03-31-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:38 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
Not sure if any of you guys have driven an M2 CS, but it is bonkers.
You wanna talk bonkers...my 1M was tuned and let's just say "dangerous" would best describe it.

Bought a 991.2 TT to bring back some sanity to my daily drives...
Old 03-31-2021, 10:55 AM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Be careful ... I got bored with my first Porsche 911, so I sold it and bought a McLaren 12C. $100,000. in repairs later, I went back to Porsche (991.2).
Then I thought I got bored again, so I sold it and bought a McLaren 570S. This time I only let the repairs get to $15,000. before I learned my lesson and
ordered my 992. Overall reliability (adding to the great look & history of the Porsche) is a bigger plus that we tend to forget about. I'm staying with Porsche
this time -- not getting bored anymore!
The following 3 users liked this post by markjeansonne:
.2PDK (03-31-2021), dribar (04-01-2021), mdrobc1213 (04-11-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:26 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I think it comes down to centering our expectations.

I remember my first Porsche ride at 18 when just getting into a Porsche was a dream come true. Car was the fastest thing I had ever experienced although by todays standards it was not very fast at all. I think we expect to get that thrill of the smells of the early Porsche, the sounds of the early Porsche's the mystique of the early Porsches and yet at the breakneck speeds and performance of the modern cars. Driving an air cooled car hard did not put you at crazy speeds and also had the ability to separate the good driver from the average or poor driver. Now even a poor driver can get into a 992, floor the car, be at license losing speeds and all while not killing themselves because the car is saving their lives. With that scenario how can you not feel like the experience is a bit of a disappointment.

My outlook is a little different. I have accepted that those cars of yesteryear are no longer but when I get into 992 I am getting into a car that has an amazing engine, an amazing transmission, that can be as docile, spirited or angry as I want, that looks beautiful and that feels special, that can make me look forward to every drive, make me enjoy every drive and make me get into the car just to drive. With that outlook it is a little harder to be disappointed and jaded.

I have had a 996 and although people raved about it, the upkeep was crazy and for better or worse the handling did not make me feel secure and I did feel as it weaved and bobbed on the highway that the experience was just not that great. I ahve ahd 3 generations of Miata but so far I have far preferred my Boxster 718 and now 992.

Be realistic in your expectations and you wont be disappointed
The following users liked this post:
Nothingtoc (04-14-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:01 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by markjeansonne
Be careful ... I got bored with my first Porsche 911, so I sold it and bought a McLaren 12C. $100,000. in repairs later, I went back to Porsche (991.2).
Then I thought I got bored again, so I sold it and bought a McLaren 570S. This time I only let the repairs get to $15,000. before I learned my lesson and
ordered my 992. Overall reliability (adding to the great look & history of the Porsche) is a bigger plus that we tend to forget about. I'm staying with Porsche
this time -- not getting bored anymore!
I had very similar experiences, making the Porsche the brand I trust most...knock on wood...
The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
markjeansonne (03-31-2021), Tedster (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:45 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by dribar
I was always chasing and hoping success in the hunt would make me happy. Never did.
Yours is a more wholesome conclusion. I love my wife and kids but the real lesson for me is that the thrill is in the chase. It's never as amazing as you hoped, once you catch that which you're chasing. That's what keeps us motivated - on to the next hunt!
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
dribar (03-31-2021), Tedster (03-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?